If you are an international student from a non-EU country, you are required by Dutch Immigration Law to have a tuberculosis (TB) test at a local GGD office (Dutch Health Service). Participating in TB testing is important for your health, but most importantly it is necessary for obtaining your (temporary) residence permit. Tuberculosis is a severe, but curable, disease and is found all over the world. It is much more common in the country where you are born than in the Netherlands, therefore you are tested for TB.

Do I need to take a tuberculosis test?

In general, most students from non-EU countries must take a tuberculosis test. Students from the countries listed here do not have to do the tuberculosis test.

How will I be tested for tuberculosis?

You will be tested on tuberculosis by a chest X-ray. Students under 18 will have an injection on their hand instead.

Both men and women need to be bare-chested for the X-ray. This means you will have to remove all layers of clothing from your upper body.

I have already taken a tuberculosis test

If you are currently studying in a EU country and have already taken a Tuberculosis test, you are still required to take a TB test when you arrive in the Netherlands.


  • Confirm that you need to take a tuberculosis test (see above).
  • Fill in a Tuberculosis Declaration Form. You will receive this form when Student Services is sending you information regarding the appointments for formalities (this will be about one month before the start of your study).
  • The University of Twente will make a group appointment at the GGD for international students starting in September and February. 
  • Hand in your Tuberculosis Declaration Form during the examination at the GGD.
  • After six months, the GGD will contact you directly at the address provided and invite you to a follow-up appointment (selected nationalities only).