What insurance do I need?

How to arrange insurance

EU/EEA Students (On-Campus)

If you are insured under the national health insurance scheme of an EU/EEA member state or Switzerland, your insurance company can provide you with a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). As long as you do not have paid work in the Netherlands, additional insurance is not required. Please be aware that an EHIC is valid for a limited time only, and does not include cover for luggage, liability or legal aid.

If you are not insured under the national health insurance scheme of an EU/EEA member state or Switzerland, you can apply for insurance at a Dutch insurance company, e.g. at AON Nederland.

Non-EU/EEA Students (On-Campus)

For non-EU/EEA students, the University of Twente will guide you in arranging health and liability insurance before arrival. When we send you the confirmation of your visa, we will also send you the insurance information.

On-Campus Employees (PHD)

PhD students can apply for UT collective health insurance from insurance company 'Menzis'. This insurance package covers most basic health care costs. Collective health insurance is often cheaper than arranging insurance yourself. This insurance includes standard dental treatment: other optional packages are also available. For more information visit the UT HR website.

Off Campus Students (ITC)

ITC students will be guided by ITC staff in arranging AON complete insurance. You will receive your insurance certificate by email before arrival, as this is required in your entry visa/residence permit application process.

About insurance packages

AON 'ICS Complete Plus' Insurance

ICS Complete Plus covers all your medical costs and liability in the Netherlands. You are covered for emergency dental care, doctor visits, physiotherapy, acupuncture, medicines, psychotherapies and medical transport. ICS Complete Plus Insurance also covers personal liability, luggage, household contents, accidents, legal aid and repatriation. You are covered during internships and international travel (holiday).  Nonessential procedures will not be covered.

Please note: if you are doing an internship and you are being paid the Dutch minimum wage or more, you need to switch to a Basic Healthcare Insurance.

AON Basic Health Insurance

If you are not eligible for ICS Complete cover you must arrange Basic Healthcare Insurance. Basic Healthcare Insurance only covers medical expenses so you are advised to take out extra insurance for liability or other unexpected expenses.

Additional information


Please make sure you always see your general doctor first, before you make an appointment at the hospital. Always inform AON in case of admittance to a hospital, and inform the hospital of your AON insurance information. The hospital will ask for an advance payment of 150,- euro and will send you an invoice for the remaining amount as soon as the total costs are known.

Working during your stay

When you have a (part-time) job in the Netherlands, you are obliged to have a Basic Healthcare Insurance – even if you only work for one hour per week next to your study. This insurance needs to start the day you start your job. If you neglect to do this, you will receive a fine which can become very high. A Basic Healthcare Insurance costs around € 100,- a month, so in case you do not work many hours, you might want to reconsider taking the job.

Rules are different when you are doing an internship. If you will earn at least the minimum wage during your internship, you will need to switch to the Basic Healthcare Insurance.

Visiting guests and friends

Relatives and guests of students/ employees are also obliged to have a health insurance during their stay in the Netherlands. Extra insurances are strongly recommended, especially the personal liability and the emergency assistance insurance (flight to home-country in case of a life threatening situation or death of a family member). A deposit is paid in advance, based on the duration of the family/guest stay. Please contact ITC Student Affairs for more information.


Some international students will receive a letter from CAK saying they do not have insurance and if one is not applied for within 3 months, a fine will be given. In some cases this letter will be correct, for example if you worked and you did not have a Basic Healthcare Insurance during that time. If this is the case, please start a Basic Insurance as soon as possible (back dating to the first day of work).

Unfortunately some students receive this letter by mistake, because they did not work and they have a valid private insurance. If this is the case, you must take action as soon as possible. Fill in this WLZ assessment form. After printing and signing it, send it (by regular post) to the address mentioned on the last page of the form.

If you have questions, please visit our Student Services Contact Center.

general information

Please have a look at this flyer:


EU students who have a valid EHIC card are covered for care in case they are sick due to the virus. Hospital care is included.

If you are an EU student and you do currently not have a valid EHIC card, please contact your insurance company in your home country and try to obtain one as soon as possible.

In general, all EU students should always have an EHIC card if their country provides one.

 International students (either EU or non-EU) who have the ICS Complete from AON, are covered for health costs related to the COVID-19 virus.

 If you have a job and thus a Dutch Basic Healthcare Insurance, health costs related to the virus are also covered.

 If you are taking a test as a precaution, this will not be covered by an insurance.