UTServicesCESSACCRegulationsBinding recommendation

Binding recommendation (BSA)


Route to application form for assessment of personal circumstances by the CPO
Start here
submit your application before the 1st of July.

The year of the binding recommendation (BSA)

The binding recommendation rule (BSA) applies to all UT Bachelor programmes.

Covid-19 update 2021-2022 academic year

Because of the Covid-19 crisis, the BSA-standard has been lowered from 45 EC to 40 EC (for ATLAS from 60 EC to 54 EC) for all first-year bachelor students (enrolment 2021-2022). Study programmes in which this does not lead to an actual easing may have made adjustments to ease the standard. For more information contact your study programme.

This standard does also apply to bachelor students who have their recommendation postponed in the academic year 2020-2021.

The regulations regarding the (binding) recommendation rule are applicable to all first-year Bachelor students. The programme board is responsible for issuing this recommendation. During the first academic year at least 45 EC (in academic year 2021-2022: 40 EC), plus programme-specific requirements, must be obtained to continue your programme (exception: ATLAS requires 54 EC in the first year). More information about the BSA of your programme can be found in the programme-specific part of the UT Education and Examination Regulation (EER / OER) of your programme. Some programmes have set additional requirements within the binding recommendation. You can also contact your own study adviser.

As it is the university’s aim to enable all suitable students to graduate successfully, we have ensured that - along with the BSA - you will receive support during your first year and thereafter. Each programme has a study adviser who can help you with any study-related issues and many programmes also have a tutor or mentoring system.

Information about the year of the BSA, what to do when personal circumstances occur and the regulations of the BSA can be found on this website.

Timeline first academic year:

  1. Introductory interview: at the beginning of the academic year you will receive an invitation from your tutor, mentor or study adviser, in which the BSA will also be addressed. You will receive an invitation from your educational programme. If there are personal circumstances, you need to report them to the academic advisor as soon as possible (see chapter personal circumstances). If these jeopardize the standard duration of the study, it is imperative that the right actions are taken in time, because it might be possible to deviate from the normal programme. Moreover, if you have study-related questions, you can always go to your study advisor
  2. Pre-recommendation: this will be sent to you by e-mail or Osiris (week 52 at the latest) after the results of module 1 are known,
  3. Second pre-recommendation: this will be sent in week 10 at the latest.
    The recommendations at 2. and 3. are not binding and can be negative, neutral or positive.
  4. Invitation: when you have received a negative or neutral recommendation, you will be invited for a meeting with your study adviser. In this meeting, the study approach and study choice will be discussed.
  5. Final recommendation: after the additional test week (week 30) you will receive the final recommendation mid-August by e-mail/Osiris. This can be:
    - positive: when you have obtained 45 credits or more of the first academic year and the programme-specific requirements;
    - negative: when you have obtained less than 45 credits or did not obtain the programme-specific requirements.

The programme board can decide to defer the final recommendation to the second academic year. It can only be deferred due to a study switch/late inflow or due to personal circumstances.

study delay due to Personal circumstances

It can be possible that you failed or will fail to meet the BSA requirements because of circumstances that delayed your study. If these jeopardize the standard duration of the study, it is imperative that the right actions are taken in time, because it might be possible to deviate from the normal programme. The Personal Circumstance Committee (CPO) can advise your programme board at the end of the study year about your personal circumstances. Your study adviser can help you in this process.

Study delay may be attributed to various reasons. However, the Personal Circumstance Committee recognizes a limited number of reasons. By law and the UT Teaching and Examination Regulation, only the grounds for study delay that are mentioned under 3. can be recognized by the Committee.

If your study is or might be delayed due to personal circumstances, you take the following steps:

1. Notify study adviser: report to your study adviser as soon as possible when your study is or might be delayed. If possible, a study plan will be drawn up.

2. Arrange meeting with SACC's student counsellor: you must have arranged a meeting with a student counsellor before July 1st. The interview must take place before the Personal Circumstance Committee handles your application. In some cases, the conversation can be held by phone or it will be cancelled: in that case, you will be informed by the student counsellor or registry. The student counsellor can give advice and help you with the formulation of your statement in your application. If your appointment takes place after July 1st, please make sure that you submit the application before July 1st (see 3).

An interview with the student counsellor is always allowed, also if it is not regarding the BSA. The student counsellor can guide or advise you on other (financial) regulations that may apply.

3. Apply for assessment of circumstances: if you can't meet the BSA standard, you take action in consultation with your study adviser. You should apply for an assessment by the Personal Circumstance Committee. Submit the application before July 1st of the concerning academic year. You are advised not to submit the application too early because the Committee can't review circumstances that are in the future (chronic circumstances excluded). Depending on the circumstances, the application should be substantiated with supporting documents such as:

(Exceptional application of assessment: in consultation with your study adviser, you can apply at an early stage for an assessment of your circumstances by the CPO. This can only be done in cases where there is a chronic illness/disability.)

4. Recommendation of the Personal Circumstance Committee: the Committee will assess the legitimacy, the expected duration and the severity of your personal circumstances and gives a recommendation to the Programme Director (you will receive a copy).

5. Decision of the Programme Director: the final binding recommendation (positive, negative or deferred) will be made by the programme director, considering the ruling of the Personal Circumstance Committee.


This hearing is explicitly not intended to report (incl for the first time) new circumstances that already should have been previously reported to the study adviser and the Personal Circumstance Committee.

When you receive a negative pre-recommendation, you will also get the opportunity to request a hearing. You’ll get the opportunity to clarify to a representative of the Programme Board why, in your opinion, the negative pre-recommendation is unwarranted. How very much you are motivated for this study will not affect the decision. But the Programme Board will take into account your special circumstances. Sometimes it can be useful to clarify your circumstances; a hearing gives you the opportunity.

A hearing can be meaningful in case you want to:

Please note: the examples given above are situations for which you may use a hearing to clarify your point of view. The Programme Board will consider it in their final conclusion. This, however, does not guarantee that it will lead to another (final) recommendation. The negative pre-recommendation indicates that you need to apply for a hearing within 5 working days. Consider this deadline! On the website of your educational programme, you will find more information on how to request a hearing.


A student can appeal against a negative binding recommendation. This must be done in writing and signed before sending to or handing in at the Complaints Desk UT. The term for submitting an appeal is 6 weeks following the date of the decision of the Board of Examiners who will give a ruling within 10 weeks of receipt of the appeal.
When you put down in the appeal that it is “urgent”, the Complaints Desk will handle the appeal preferentially. It is advised to lodge an appeal as soon as possible after the receipt of your Binding Recommendation.

Documents & regulations