On this page you find Frequently Asked Questions regarding the Language Policy. This overview is not yet complete. More questions will be added.

What if I cannot meet the minimal language proficiency level requirements?

Make a development plan with your manager and find out what is possible. Not meeting the minimal language proficiency requirement is not a reason for discharge.

When can I make use of editing services?

This service will be offered in 2019 and is available for every employee of a service department. By getting your product back with track-changes, you can learn from the feedback you get. Until further notice, this service is covered by a central budget. Please, contact your secretary/language contact person for information how to use this service.

I am not sure if my English is sufficient enough

Then you have the possibility to use the editing service of our translation partners. By getting your product back with track-changes, you can even learn from the feedback you get. Until further notice, this service is covered by a central budget. Please, contact your secretary/language contact person for information how to use this service.

I am too busy to write a document in English

Writing documents in English costs more time, especially in the beginning. There are many tools available to help you write in English. Please read the information on the Tools and support page.

Will all events be in English?

Yes, all corporate events of the UT itself (such as the Opening Academic Year and the Dies natalis) are held in English. But all cultural activities such as concerts, performances and lectures remain in Dutch and/or English. The policy states that 'we will not attach any standards to this area in the near future' (i.e. culture). The Executive Board does encourage all parties that contribute to the university culture to bring their activities in line with the UT language policy.

If English is the primary formal language of communication. Do I have to speak English all the time?

No. Although every UT employee and student is expected to be able to communicate in English, you don't have to give up your native language. According to the new language policy, it depends on the context and the people involved in a particular situation: 'The principle of inclusiveness applies here. The choice of language is left to the discretion of the people present. If you communicate with non-Dutch colleagues present, the communication should be in English'.

The language policy states that all formal documents should be written in English. Which documents are included in this?

Please find the overview below:






UT general educational policies and regulations

Enrolment regulations, students’ charter and code of conduct


Based on Code of Conduct Language article 3.4


Programme-specific documents

Education and Examination Regulations (EER)

English--> English taught programmes

Dutch --> Dutch taught programmes

Based on Code of Conduct article 1.2b


Documents for and Decisions made by formal bodies (CvB, CvB-D, SB, Faculty Boards, UC-OW, UC-B, UC-OZ, and UC-I)

Policy-documents, regulations, annual plans

English: unless Dutch is mandatory for legal reasons or contact with external (Dutch) stakeholders.

Dutch: Documents regarding the legal status of employees --> Staff handbook with Leave regulations, Commuting travel & accommodations and optional model for employment conditions.

Based on Dutch law (WNRA) and regulations. An English translation will be available.


Information about decisions (made by these formal bodies), policies and regulations of the UT.

Website, feedback from Executive Board (‘post-CvB”).


In case of communication on Dutch documents mentioned at 3, a reference to the Dutch documents shall be included.


Safety instructions

Evacuation plan

Dutch and English

Based on Dutch law (Working conditions Act / Arbowet).


Decisions/letters (HR) to individual employees:

Appointment letter, settlement agreement

Dutch; for Dutch staff-members

English: for staff-members with another nationality.

Based on Dutch law.


Documents in legal proceedings

Legal documents

Dutch, Easy to read attachments could be in English, unless the judge court or other agencies requires a translation

Based on Dutch law and regulations.

Heb je moeite met het lezen van de inhoud van deze website?

Neem gerust contact op met het UT Language Centre via 053-4892040 of utlc@utwente.nl.

Als Engels de officiële voertaal wordt op de UT, moet ik dan de hele tijd Engels spreken?

Nee. Hoewel van iedere UT’er verwacht wordt dat je in het Engels kunt communiceren, hoef je je moedertaal niet op te geven. Volgens het nieuwe taalbeleid is het afhankelijk van de context en de mensen die betrokken zijn in een bepaalde situatie: ‘Het principe van inclusiviteit gaat hier op. Taalkeuze wordt overgelaten aan het oordeel van de aanwezige mensen. Het kan bijvoorbeeld Nederlands of Engels zijn. Als er gecommuniceerd wordt met niet-Nederlandse sprekers aanwezig, zou de communicatie in het Engels moeten zijn’.

Worden alle evenementen Engelstalig?

Ja, alle corporate evenementen van de UT zelf (zoals de Opening Academisch Jaar en de Dies natalis) worden in het Engels gehouden. Maar alle culturele activiteiten zoals concerten, optredens en lezingen blijven in het Nederlands en/of Engels. In het beleid staat dat ‘we voor de komende tijd geen normen verbinden aan dit gebied’ (cultuur dus). Het college van bestuur moedigt wel alle partijen die bijdragen aan de universiteitscultuur aan om hun activiteiten in lijn te brengen met het UT-taalbeleid.