Microwave photonics refers to the generation, processing, distribution, and measurement of microwave signals using photonic components and techniques. Key advantages of microwave photonics are ultra-wide bandwdith and flexible reconfiguration of optical processing
We explore the use of low-loss photonic integrated circuits in RF- microwave photonic systems. By harnessing linear and nonlinear optical interactions in these circuits, advanced functionalities including filtering, true-time delay, phase shifting, and pulse shaping have been demonstrated.
- D. Marpaung, J. Yao, and J. Capmany, “Integrated Microwave Photonics,” Nature Photonics 13, 80 (2019).
- G. Liu, O. Daulay, Y, Klaver, R. Botter, Q. Tan, H. Yu, M. Hoekman. E.J. Klein, and D. Marpaung, “Integrated Microwave Photonic Spectral Shaping for Linearization and Spurious-Free Dynamic Range Enhancement,” Journal of Lightwave Technology (2021).
- O. Daulay, G. Liu, and D. Marpaung, “Microwave photonic notch filter with integrated phase-to-intensity modulation transformation and optical carrier suppression,” Optics Letters 46(3), 488-491 (2021).
- G. Liu, O. Daulay, Q. Tan, H. Yu, and D. Marpaung, “Linearized phase modulated microwave photonic link based on integrated ring resonators,” Optics Express 28, 38603-38615 (2020).
- Y. Liu, A. Choudhary, D. Marpaung, and B. J. Eggleton “Gigahertz optical tuning of an on-chip RF photonic delay line,” Optica 4, 418 (2017).
- Y. Liu, A. Choudhary, J. Hotten, B. J. Eggleton, and D. Marpaung, “All-optimized integrated RF photonic notch filter,” Optics Letters 42, no. 22, p. 4631, (2017).
- D. Marpaung, C. Roeloffzen, R. Heideman, A. Leinse, S. Sales and J. Capmany, “Integrated microwave photonics,” Laser and Photonics Reviews, 7, 506, (2013).
We explore the exquisite light and sound interactions in nanophotonic circuits through a nonlinear optical effect known as stimulated Brillouin scattering (SBS).
We develop advanced simulation tools to optimize Brillouin scattering in various material platforms including silicon nitride, silicon, and chalcogenide glasses.
We subsequently demonstrate unique signal processing capabilities using on-chip Stimulated Brillouin scattering, including RF photonic filters with record-high spectral resolution and tuning range, tunable optical delay lines, and frequency comb processor for optical communications. Relevant applications for this technology includes interference mitigation and management in modern wireless environment, including modern radio communications (5G/6G), radar, phased array antenna systems, and satellite communications.
- Y. Liu, A. Choudhary, G. Ren, D-Y. Choi, A. Casas-Bedoya, B. Morrison, P. Ma, T.G. Nguyen, A. Mitchell, S.J. Madden ,D. Marpaung, and B.J. Eggleton, “Circulator-free Brillouin photonic planar circuit,” Laser and Photonics Reviews 15(5) (2021).
- Y. Liu , A. Choudhary , G. Ren , K. Vu, B. Morrison , A. Casas-Bedoya , T. G. Nguyen , D.-Y. Choi, P. Ma, A. Mitchell , S. J. Madden, D. Marpaung, and B. J. Eggleton, “Integration of Brillouin and passive circuits for enhanced radio-frequency photonic filtering,” APL Photonics 4, 106103 (2019).
- A. Choudhary, M. Pelusi, D. Marpaung T. Inoue, K. Vu, P. Ma, D.-Y. Choi, S. Madden, S. Namiki, and B.J. Eggleton “On-chip Brillouin purification for frequency comb-based coherent optical communications,” Optics Letters 42, 5074 (2017).
- B. Morrison, A. Casas-Bedoya, Y. Liu, A. Zarifi, G. Ren, T. Nguyen, K. Vu, D.Y. Choi, D.Marpaung, S. J. Madden, A. Mitchell, and B. J. Eggleton “Compact Brillouin devices through hybrid integration on Silicon,” Optica 4, 847 (2017).
- H. Y. Jiang, D. Marpaung, M. Pagani, K. Vhu, D.Y. Choi, S. Madden, L. S. Yan, and B.J. Eggleton, “Wide-range, high-precision multiple microwave frequency measurement using a chip-based photonic Brillouin filter,” Optica 3, 30 (2016).
- D. Marpaung, B. Morrison, M. Pagani, D.-Y. Choi, B. Luther-Davies, S.J. Madden, and B.J. Eggleton, “Low power, chip-based stimulated Brillouin scattering microwave photonic filter with ultrahigh selectivity,” Optica 2, 76 (2015).
We develop complex and low-loss photonic circuits that can be programmed like electronic circuits. We build multifunctional circuits and demonstrate novel RF and photonic signal processing concepts including modulation transformation.
We also explore new mechanisms for efficient tuning of photonic circuits incorporating piezoelectric materials.
- O. Daulay, G. Liu, R. Botter, M. Hoekman, E.J. Klein, C. Roeloffzen, J. Capmany, and D. Marpaung, “Programmable integrated microwave photonic filter using modulation transformer and double-injection ring resonator,” ECOC 2021.
- X. Guo, Y. Liu, T. Yin, B. Morrison, M. Pagani, O. Daulay, W. Bogaerts, B.J. Eggleton, A. Casas-Bedoya, and D. Marpaung, “Versatile silicon microwave photonic spectral shaper, “ APL Photonics (as Editor’s pick) (2021).
- O. Daulay, G. Liu, X. Guo, M. Eijkel, and D. Marpaung, “A tutorial on integrated microwave photonic spectral shaper,” Journal of Lightwave Technology, invited tutorial (2020).
- O. Daulay, R. Botter, and D. Marpaung, “On-chip programmable microwave photonic filter with an integrated optical carrier processor,” OSA Continuum 3, 2166-2174 (2020).
- Y. Liu, A. Choudhary, D. Marpaung, and B. J. Eggleton, “Integrated Microwave Photonic Filters,” Advances in Optics and Photonics 12, 485-555 (2020).
We aim to integrate ultra-narrow linewidth Brillouin lasers and optical frequency combs in large scale circuits in silicon and silicon nitride.
We also explore the integration of the diode pump lasers in the same photonic circuits.