Going from traditional face to face education to online education and back again.
Is hybrid education the solution?
On this page guidelines, ideas and background information is provided.
Disclaimer: Designing an effective and efficient teaching and learning environment is a complex process. In online, blended and hybrid solutions the technical competence plays an important role besides being pedagogical competent within you subject domain.
What is hybrid education?
Hybrid education is a form of education where 'online' and 'in-class' students are mixed, and simultaniously present in an educational setting. There can be various reasons for implementing a hybrid setup. The reasons and learning objectives in each situation are the starting point and form the basis for making educational decisions.
Different scenarios and setups are possible. In the picture below an overview is given, in which you can see a distinction between setups focussing on plenary learning activities and setups were the focus is on working in groups.
Thanks to the Hogeschool Utrecht, who already visualized the hybrid education settings and collected some information.
Factors to think about
Below an overview is given of factors you have to think about when you implement a hybrid lecture setting.
Tips and ideas
- Create pre-recorded microlectures where possible
- Focus on online lectures if possible
- Prepare and keep your objectives in mind
- Ask help: e-learning specialist, TELT
- Use contact time effectively and efficiently
- Use variation in pedagogical and activation methods
- Integrate your hybrid lecture in your course in line with other learning activities
- If possible, make use of students or SA's for monitoring interactions and online chat
- Be creative in finding new solutions for involving online and in-class students
- Evaluate how it worked and how it can be improved.
We are very interested and curious about teachers already using a hybrid setting for their educational meetings. Also, we really like to share those experiences with other teachers. Below you can click on the link which is applicable for you. Do you know someone using a hybrid setting for his education? Please spread the word by sharing this website links.
Do you want more information or do you have more information to share, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.