The pre-master’s programme is designed not only to address any deficiencies in your prior knowledge, but it is also an efficient way to find out whether studying at a research university in the field of Psychology is right for you. To this end, in the pre-master Psychology programme several rules, as a Binding Recommendation (Bindend Studieadvies), are applicable. In case of a negative binding recommendation (i.g. the student does not meet (one or more of) the requirements as listed below) the student will be excluded from further following courses (this means that the pre-master is terminated) and is no longer entitled to enroll in the pre-master and master’s programme Psychology at the University of Twente .
The following rules/requirements apply in the pre-master Psychology (and transfer minor):
- Within a period of two blocks/quartiles (excluding re-sits of block 1B/2B) the student must have obtained at least 20EC of the pre-master’s programme. Possible exemptions granted are not included in the EC’s to be gained. If the student does not meet this requirement the student is excluded from further following courses (with which the pre-master is terminated).
- Within a period of four blocks/quartiles (the first year) the student is required to have successfully completed the generic / academic part of the pre-master (30EC). If the student does not finish the 30EC generic part within four blocks/quartiles the student is excluded from further following courses (with which the pre-master is terminated).
- The student can attempt for a pre-master's course at an exam / assignment up to a maximum of two times. Students who, after the second exam attempt, have not passed one (or more) pre-master's course(s), are excluded from further following courses (with which the pre-master is terminated).
- To be allowed to start the 'Pre-Master Research Practical’ course (in the second block/quartile) a minimum grade of 5 needs to be achieved for the course "Research Methodology and Descriptive Statistics' and the course "Academic Writing" needs to be successfully completed. When a student does not successfully complete the ‘academic writing’ course in the first attempt/block, then the opportunity of an early second/re- exam attempt (at the beginning of the second block/quartile) is offered. When this early re-exam is successful, it is possible to take the ‘Pre-Master Research Practical’ course in the second block/quartile (without study delay).
- To be allowed to start with the (15EC) module in preparation for the master’s specialization, the:
- (Written) exam (‘zelfstudie’ part) in summer must be successfully completed (grade 6). A re-examination of this written test (in summer) is (only) possible when the student attended the first opportunity and achieved a minimum grade of 4,0.
- Entire generic / academic part of the pre-master (30 EC) must be successfully completed.
- The module in preparation for the master's specialization must be achieved at the first attempt (under predetermined conditions repair of a part of the module is possible).
Note: The above rules apply also to students who are taking the transfer minor.