Call for Collaborators and Abstracts
24 hours of philosophy online conference - May 17, 2021, UTC 00:00–23:59.
While only the most dedicated might be willing to join us for 24 hours, we hope that everybody will have a chance to participate in the event for a while in accordance with your local time zone. We would also like to facilitate collaboration in our global community by organizing the event in a jointly manner. Since this event is organized by time zones, it means that Johannesburg and Amsterdam will share the same conference time. Also, we aim to create an overlap in the time zones in this program so that it will cross continents, so for instance, London and New York will share a session.
We will have one main video stream with lectures and panel discussion, which will form the centre stage and the event's backbone. We will leave it to our co-hosts to add additional (hybrid) elements to the event.
To share the formal call, you can also download the .pdf.
We especially invite scholars to reflect on the role of the city in the current pandemic and how our relationships with cities may change in a Post-COVID situation. This may include but is certainly not limited to topics such as "Architecture, urban planning and public health" or "Sustainable development in a time of crisis." Non-Covid related presentations are also welcome. For your inspiration, here are some potential topics:
- Architecture, urban planning and public health
- Sustainable development in a time of crisis
- Issues in Housing, Transportation, Smart Cities, Infrastructure, Energy, Water and Food
- Urban Affairs & Social Identities: Race, Class, Gender, Sexuality and Citizenship
- Urban Aesthetics
- Technology and the City
- Urban Resilience
- Covid, Health Equity and the City
- Sound, Light and Sensory Landscapes in the City
Presentations should be approx. 20 minutes long. Q&A will be enabled via chat function or according to the moderator’s instructions. By default, all presentations should be in English, but we are open to variations. We particularly encourage submissions from graduate students and early-career researchers.
Submit via EASY CHAIR the following:
- Anonymized abstract
- 300-word-max abstract (docx, otd, or pdf format)
- Include 5 keywords
- Add your preferred time zone of presentation at the beginning of the abstract
We provide you with:
- An opportunity to meet Philosophers of the City around the globe
- A platform to present your recent research
- Discuss and communicate ideas relating to the Covid-19 pandemic in an online setting
- Those that self-identify as junior researchers will be provided with more extensive feedback on your submission
- 22 March 2021: Deadline for abstracts (extended)
- 01 April 2021: Decisions
- 15 April 2021: Confirmation of participation
- 30 April 2021: Release of the schedule
- 17 May 2021: 24 hours of philosophy around the world
We are also looking for local hosts, who take care of the event in their local time-zone.
Local hosts will:
- Act as moderators while the event is in their time-zone,
- Reach out to scholars in their region,
- Participate in the review process
- Local hosts should be willing to chair and facilitate the meeting for 4-8 hours in their own time zone and run a Zoom meeting (as a backup for the global stream).
- If you are interested in serving as a local host or have questions about how to approach being a local host, you can also send us questions. We will support you in this endeavour.
- Interested? Contact for local hosts: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Michael Nagenborg, University of Twente
- Sanna Lehtinen, Aalto University
- Alexandria K. Poole, University of Twente
- Jules Simon, University of Texas at El Paso
- Shane Epting, Missouri University of Science and Technology
- Ronald R. Sundstrom, University of San Francisco
- Remmon Barbaza, Ateneo de Manila University
There is no conference registration fee to attend. This event is meant to be an open access engagement with philosophy. However, for technical reasons, we will limit the number of participants. We will provide you with instructions about how to register in due time.