To develop and evaluate a sustainable platform to facilitate the inclusion of international doctoral candidates to the University of Twente (UT) community.
The long term vision of the project is that the mission of the project and the successful components of this platform are adopted by key stakeholders of the UT, and therefore continue to be implemented in the following years. As internationalization of the UT grows, it is expected that the need for this platform increases.
To realize its mission and vision, the project has the following goals:
- To determine what are the most pressing issues that hinder inclusion.
- To identify potential strategies that can facilitate inclusion.
- To implement and assess the preliminary success of strategies focused on the most pressing issues.
Inclusion is an organizational effort and practices in which different groups or individuals having different backgrounds are culturally and socially accepted and welcomed, and equally treated (defined as such by the UT Ambassador’s Network in the original call for proposals).
Diversity is any dimension that can be used to differentiate groups and people from one another. In a nutshell, it’s about empowering people by respecting and appreciating what makes them different, in terms of age, gender, ethnicity, religion, disability, sexual orientation, education, and national origin (defined by the UT Ambassador’s Network in the original call for proposals).
International doctoral candidates are PhD or PDEng candidates with a non-Dutch nationality. International doctoral candidates is a term that encompasses a diverse range of individuals (e.g., by age, gender, ethnicity, religion, etc.) and because of that often come across challenges to be or feel included in the UT community.
Related News Articles & Research
Include-U is inextricably linked to initiatives that have already been carried out or are still being carried out. To get an impression of associated projects and ongoing work, have a dive into some related content:
Call for action
- Research assistant: interested into joining this research project? Are you a last year's bachelor student, a master student, or a doctoral candidate and motivated to join the Include-U project? You will contribute directly to innovation, bottom-up ideas valuing and respecting diversity and promoting inclusion at the UT. Let us know your interest via email@example.com.
- Stakeholders: individuals or groups with an interest or stake in international doctoral candidates are welcomed participate in Include-U. Reach out to us via firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Include-Ur Culture: introduce your personal culture and background to fellow doctoral candidates. Join the interactive Include-Ur Culture events.
Preview of what comes next
- Conduct research that contributes to determine what are the most pressing issues.
- Organize and evaluate focused, meaningful, and timely strategies to direclty support the identifies issues.