Together Research Topics and Final project form the final stage of your Master's programme. During the assignment you will dive into a topic related to your specialization, carry out your own research project, write a thesis and present your findings. The assignment can be done in one of the research chairs of the Computer Science (EEMCS) or Behavioural, Management and Social Sciences (BMS) department or, following the requirements, at an external organization. The final project assignment is performed under supervision of two examiners, one from the BMS faculty and one from EEMCS.
Before you start with the final project, you will have to carry out the so-called “research topics”. This component of 10 credits was introduced as a preparatory part to the final project to provide you with a solid base to start. Though the Research topics is judged independently, it has the purpose to support the activities of the final project. Research Topics typically entails an initial literature study and aims at the statement of a clear research or design question and planning for the Final Project. The report can include an extensive literature review into a topic, but part can also be spend on for example an experiment to test an initial approach or design. The specific contents and interpretation are up to you in discussion with your supervisor. After your Research Topics you should have an extensive overview of the research area in which you will start your final project and a clear idea of the direction in which you will take your final project (project proposal/plan).
The Final project is a 30 EC project that takes place in the second year of your Master's and rounds off the Master's programme. A final project must address topics in the area of your specialization. The final project must also have a scientific character. A final project normally concerns research, design (development) or a combination of both. Research in a final project has to be carried out according to a systematic approach and the results should be interpreted and verifiable. Design (development) has to be carried out according to systematic methods and techniques and should serve a scientific purpose. For example, prototypes that may be produced in a final project aim at either proving a method or some theory, but they should not be considered as the final goal of the project.
- Preferably, you should have finished all your courses, before starting with Research Topics and Final project. But the TER allows you a maximum of 10 EC in unfinished courses (typically 2 courses).
- You should have finalized your choice for one of the BIT specializations. You should have done this already, but if you missed this step and you are not yet registered in Osiris for one of the specializations, you can send an email to BOZ BIT (firstname.lastname@example.org).
- The next important step, after selecting a topic/assignment and finding a supervisor, is to also fill out a programme form in Mobility Online to officially start.
Once you found a topic/assignment and supervisor, you need to fill out the registration form in Mobility Online:
- Use the Standard Registration form. At this point you can start with only one supervisor, from either EEMCS or BMS, but you can always already start with two supervisor one from each faculty.
- Complete the procedure by logging back in and upload a signed form to be checked by BOZ. BOZ will check whether or not the supervisor(s) have signed and if they are autorized to sign (they should be appointed as examiner for Final Project and Research Topics).
- Make sure to complete Research Topics before registering for your Final Project.
- Once you found a supervisor and assignment, fill out the registration form using Mobility Online: Use the Extended Registration form.
- First BOZ will check if you meet the requirements to start with the Final Project. After BOZ approves, you can log back in.
- During registration choose internal if you carry out your research within a research group at the UT, or external if you carry out your research outside the UT, for example at a company.
- Complete the procedure by logging back in again and upload a signed form to be checked by BOZ.
- More information on Mobility Online in the manual and on the Educational Systems website.