Students enrolled for the Human Computer Interaction and Design (HCID) double degree programme of the EIT Digital Master School take a 60 EC course programme in Interaction Technology, which is completed to a full 120 EC course programme at one of the other participating institutions. Students take a double degree, at completion one of their diplomas is the I-Tech diploma.
First year HCID students in I-Tech take a 60 EC programme in I-Tech as outlined under Entry year. These students continue with a second year specialization At KTH, UniTN, Aalto University, UPS, TU Berlin, or UPM. Second year HCID students have completed 60 EC (a first year) equivalent to that of I-Tech at Aalto University, KTH, UPM or UPS before they start their 60 EC programme in I-Tech as outlined under Exit year.
Course programme approval
A choice of courses becomes a course programme once it has been approved and signed by the programme mentor. The programme mentor has the authority to refuse his approval even if the choice of units is within the limitations of the requirements listed.
CORE COURSE (MANDATORY):
- 201800234 Foundations of Interaction Technology (5 EC, 1A)
HCID core courses (Mandatory):
- 201600087 Designing Interactive Experiences (5 EC, 2B)
- 201800227 Human Centered Design (5 EC) (5 EC, 1B)
- 201800226 Concepts, measures and methods (5EC, 1A)
- 201100126 Human Computer Interaction (5 EC, 2A)
Innovation and Entrepreneurship (I&E) courses (Mandatory):
- 201700180 I&E Basics: Innovation and Entrepreneurship Finance EIT students (5 EC, 1A)*
- 201700119 Business Development Lab for EIT I (5EC, 1B)
- 201700120 Business Development Lab for EIT II (5EC, 2A)
*HCID students who have a bachelor degree in Creative Technology or Business & IT from the University of Twente take a different course: 201600011 International Entrepreneurship - A Strategic Technology Perspective, 1A. This is because these students have already taken the equivalent of Innovation and Entrepreneurship Theory as part of their bachelor programme.
INNOVATION AND ENTREPRENEURSHIP (I&E) COURSES (Elective, choose 1):
- 201500008 Empirical Methods for Designers (5EC, 1B)
- 201600155 Global Strategy and Business Development (5EC, 2A)
- 201899295 Smart Industry
- 201500090 Advanced Topics in Digital Marketing
- 191612680 Computer Ethics
- 201600015 Strategic Technology Management and Innovation
Apart from the mandatory courses, electives can be chosen from the I-Tech programme in accordance with the programme mentor, so that the total course programme adds up to 60 EC.
Students in the exit year of the HCID programme need to include the following courses:
- 201600088 Research Topics EIT (10 EC) (this includes the I&E minor thesis of 6 EC )
- 192199978 Graduation Project / Final Assignment (30EC)
- 20 EC electives, e.g. the following courses:
- 201600070 Machine Learning (5EC, 1A)
- 201600071 Advanced Machine Learning (5EC, 1B)
- 201600074 Natural Language Processing (5EC, 1A)
- 201600081 Adv. Natural Language Processing (5EC, 1B)
- 201600076 Foundations of Information Retrieval (5EC, 1A)
- 201600075 Speech Processing (5EC, 1B)
- 192320601 Multi-Agent Systems (5EC, 1A)
- 201400180 Multisensory Design (5EC, 1B)
- 192166100 Interaction Technology project (10EC, 1A-1B, 2A-2B)
- 201800177 Deep Learning: from Theory to Practice (5 EC)
- 191210770 Digital Control Engineering (5 EC)*
- 201200063 Philosophy of Technology (5 EC)*
- 201700019 Brand Management (5 EC)*201800231 Documentary Practice (5 EC)*
Only ONE of the courses marked with * can be chosen.
EIT HCID entry year 2019-2020 (version 20 August 2019)
Take 15 EC in each block. Mandatory courses are bold. The programme must include exactly one I&E elective except for I&E electives marked with *. Advancedcourses (and REDI) can only be done after finishing the corresponding introductory course. All courses are 5 EC unless stated otherwise. See the end of the document for course codes and short course descriptions.
Block 1A (Q1)
Block 1B (Q2)
Block 2A (Q3)
Block 2B (Q4)
Foundations of Interaction Technology
Business Development Lab for EIT (I)
Business Development Lab for EIT (II)
Designing Interactive Experiences
Concepts, measures and methods
Human Centred Design
Human Computer Interaction
10 EC worth of electives:
I-Tech project (2A+2B, together 10 EC)1
Design and Behavior Change
Advanced Conversational Agents
Advanced Brain Computer Interfaces
Advanced Human Robot Interaction
Tele-interaction in Robotics
Advanced Computer Vision and Pattern Recognition
REDI: Research Experiments in Databases and Information Retrieval
Art, Mathematics and Technology
Embodied Interaction Communication Technology for Global Work
In the Summer there is a mandatory international I&E Summer School (4 EC)
I&E Basics: Innovation and Entrepreneurial Finance for EIT
(or, for students who did the CreaTe bachelor at UT: International Entrepreneurship - A Strategic Technology Perspective)
5 EC worth of electives:
Engineering System Dynamics
Storytelling through Oral Presentation
Empirical Methods for Designers*
At the end of this block there is an I&E Winterschool together with EIT Eindhoven (1 EC) – taking part in this is STRONGLY RECOMMENDED
5 EC worth of electives:
I-Tech project (2A+2B, together 10 EC)
Trends in Human Robot Interaction Research
Brain Computer Interfacing
Advanced Speech Processing
Social Robot Design
Image Processing & Computer Vision
Global Strategy and Business Development
Strategic Technology Management and Innovation
Advanced Topics in Digital Marketing
*These I&E electives can also count as regular electives
EIT HCID exit year 2019-2020 (version 20 August 2019)
Specialization Intelligent Systems.
Normal study load is 15 EC per block. Mandatory courses are bold.
You cannot take more than oneof the courses in italics (the I-Tech project is one course of 10 EC).This is to ensure a sufficient number of specialization courses (technical courses) in your program.
Advancedcourses can only be done after finishing the corresponding introductory course from Block 1A. All courses are 5 EC unless stated otherwise. For other electives than those listed here, check for approval with the programme mentor.
See end of document for course codes and short course descriptions.
Basic Machine Learning
I-Tech project (block 1A+1B, together 10 EC)
Research Topics for EIT (4 EC)
Master thesis project (final project) (30 EC)
This is a so-called externalfinal project, carried out at a company. (In EIT terms, the final project is “combined with at least 3 months industry/company internship”. This internship is supposed to be part of, and on the topic of, your Master thesis research.)
I&E study (6 EC)
I-Tech project (block 1A+1B, together 10 EC)1
This is a 10 EC project that lasts the whole semester. If you take this, there will in principle be no room for other courses besides the mandatory ones in block 2A.
This is a 10 EC project that lasts the whole semester. If you take this, there will in principle be no room for other courses besides the mandatory ones in block 1B. (But see next footnote.)
Research Topics for EIT could in principle be postponed to block 2A, but then semester 2 will have a study load of 34 EC.
Only if Basic Machine Learning has been finished successfully.