Options for international study.

Most stages of your studies offer opportunities to go abroad. Mobility options can be separated into three main categories: “Internship”, “Coursework” and “Thesis Assignment”. Note that you need to plan well ahead, so start thinking one year ahead of your desired departure, and contact one of the mobility coordinators when you want to discuss your plans.


Usually a three to six month stay at a company of research institute with as main learning goal: to gain working experience.

For the MSc programmes of ME and SET the internship is an obligatory part of the programme. For all other MSc programmes the internship can be chosen as an elective or as an extra-curricular activity.

For all BSc programmes it might be possible to do an internship in the so-called minor-space. For WB, for instance, this is in particular the case if you are seriously thinking of not continuing in the ME master’s programme.

Whether the internship is obligatory or not, the internship can be done abroad, but it doesn’t have to be.


Typically this is a full semester abroad. During this semester you will be enrolled as an exchange student at a partner university of the UT. Because of special agreements we have with a number of universities, you can take classes free of tuition charges.

In each BSc programme the so-called minor space can be used to spend a semester abroad. Approval of the list of subjects needs to be given by the Exam Committee.
In each MSc programme spending a semester abroad might be possible, but approval needs to be given by the Head of Research and/or the Exam Committee.

Thesis assignment

Many different forms exist. The main criterion is that your thesis supervisor agrees with the type of work and the location where you would like to do your thesis.

For each programme a graduation thesis is an obligatory part of the programme. Each year a number of students arrange with their supervisors to perform part of their thesis work abroad. These possibilities are determined on a per-student basis and depends mainly on existing research contacts of your supervisors. Whether it can be spend abroad is subject to the Exam Committee and your graduation supervisor.


Although subject to change under the new TOM guidelines, other options you have for short term international experiences, are: