22, 23, 24, 25 and 26 NOVEMBER 2021
An intensive 5-day seminar for engineers in the rubber industry, suppliers and users.
- young chemists and mechanical engineers
- higher technical education graduates with work experience in the rubber industry
- designers/constructors in companies that utilize rubber components or parts
- Production problems are resolved all too often by trial and error. Is a better knowledge or understanding of the rubbers and available processes of help?
- Every user employs own specifications. How can we best translate these into useful material specifications?
- Mixing is crucial for the production of good rubber compounds. Is one mixing technique better than another?
- Which method of vulcanization is most suitable for our product? Or should we employ thermoplastic rubber?
- How can environmental issues be prevented in the rubber industry?
Rubber technology is an intensive seminar given from experts from the University of Twente and from the industry. A tour of the Apollo-Vredestein factory is included in the programme. It is at the discretion of the hosting factory to decide upon admission of the individual persons. Additionally, a tour of the ETE laboratories is included. Case studies are used to discuss the application in the company environment. There are plenty of opportunities provided for discussion of theoretical and practical aspects with the lecturers. Also after the seminar the participants can obtain advice from the University of Twente.
All speakers are experts with very long experience in their fields, and they gained their expertise either in industry or academia.
Types of polymers, thermoplastics, thermosets, rubbers/elastomers, rubbers versus plastics, modulus versus temperature and time, glass transition, rubber elasticity, reinforced and non-reinforced rubbers.
- Carbon black: sorts, properties and effect on rubber.
- Non-black fillers: types, properties and effects on rubber, influence on the polymer networking processes.
GENERAL PURPOSE RUBBERS
- Properties of general purpose rubbers (NR, SBR, BR, IIR).
- Rubbers for tires.
Oil resistant and heat resistant rubbers (NBR, CR, ACM, CO, ECO, FKM, Q, FVQ).
- TPE's made from block copolymers, structure and properties.
- TPE's made from blends, particularly on the basis of EPDM and PP.
Introduction to the mechanics of vulcanization, sulfur, peroxides, types of crosslinks, crosslinking reactions, cross link density, additives, zinc oxide, vulcametry.
Comparison of sulfur and peroxide vulcanization, difference in rubber properties, choice of system.
Basic principles, bonding to plastics and steel cord.
Appearance of raw materials, mixing rate and mixing quality, distributive and dispersive mixing, degree of dispersion, mastication, mixer types including mills and internal mixers, the mixing process in the internal mixer, energy balance, organization of a mixing shop.
Properties of rubbers
Material properties of vulcanized rubbers, standards, measurement methods.
Properties and applications
Rubber products, case studies, examples.
Ancillary processing methods
The production process as a flow problem, drag flow, pressure flow, extrusion for rubber processing, extrusion lines, extruder characteristics, energy balance, calenders, the calendering process, control of the thickness of the calender coating, calender coating lines.
Continuous vulcanization methods for
car profiles, radiator hoses, roofing foil, etc.
Batch-wise production processes
Presses, transfer moulding presses, injection moulding, types and lay-out of injection moulding machines, injection.
Injection moulding technology for rubber
Various vulcanization techniques, injection principles, dosage and injection, cold channel technology, de-gassing of cavities, mould-fouling.
- Possibilities for re-work and recycling of rubber products, in particular tires.
- Developments in the market.
The seminar will be held at the U Parkhotel, on the campus of the University of Twente.
The seminar dates are 22, 23, 24, 25 and 26 November 2021.
The seminar times are:
09.00 - 18:15
19:00 dinner (incl.)
08.30 - 18.30
19:00 dinner (incl.)
08.30 - 18.00
19:00 dinner (incl.)
08.30 - 17.30
19:00 Conference dinner in Enschede city centre (incl.)
08:30 - 17:00
De Veldmaat 8
7522 NM Enschede
Take advantage of the “early bird” discount and save € 500 off registration. After October 1st 2021, the course fee will be € 4000 (excluding overnight accommodation). A 10% discount will be given to groups of three or more participants.
Included in this fee are the syllabus for the seminar, a rubber technology book, other hand-outs, a tour of the tyre assembly factory of Apollo-Vredestein BV, as well as lunches, dinners, coffee and tea.
If you need to cancel your registration, you can do so up to three weeks before the start of the seminar (31 October 2021), after this date your subscription will be considered as irrevocable. No return of fees can be made when cancellation of the subscription is made later than this date. If unable to attend, a colleague may be sent to take the place.
The seminar will be held in the English language.
Participants can be accommodated overnight at the "U Parkhotel" on campus, where a block of rooms is reserved for the Rubber Technology Course at a reduced rate.
All rooms are double rooms. Mentioned prices are excluding tourist taxes (€ 2,65 p/p p/n).
Above mentioned special rates are applicable until November 7th 2021. From that date on the hotel's regular prices will apply and bookings can only be made based on availability. Book a room via email@example.com or T +31 53 4331366 and don't forget to mention that you will participate in the "Rubber Technology Course", to get the reduced rate.
The costs of the overnight accommodation can be settled directly with “U Parkhotel”.
C.H.E. ter Horst-Strootman
Tel: +31 53 489 4621
Further possibilities for improving your understanding of rubber technology, this time offered by
ELASTOMER RESEARCH & TESTING B.V.
This seminar is part of a more comprehensive set of courses offered for general practice and operations in the rubber industry:
- Introduction to rubber technology (2 days)
- Rubber in sealings (1 day)
- Practical rubber workshop
Elastomer Research & Testing B.V.
P.O. Box 2147
7420 ACV Deventer