17th International Workshop on Value Modelling and Business Ontologies
Jheronimus Academy of Data Science (JADS), ’s Hertogenbosch, The Netherlands, 26-27 February 2024
Call for Papers
The importance of modeling the essence of enterprises on a level that abstracts from operational details is increasingly recognized. Abstraction is needed for achieving interoperability and data integration, for instance. Ontological inquiry has received renewed interest because of the advent of complex information systems which rely on robust and coherent, formal representations of their subject matter. Two established enterprise modeling approaches are value modeling and business ontology. Value modeling is a business modeling approach that focuses on the value objects exchanged in business networks. Business ontology provides abstract descriptions of enterprises in their business context, focusing on what is needed to create and transfer value. Research in these fields is conducted using instruments like the REA Ontology (Resources, Events, Agents), the Unified Foundational Ontology (UFO), the Business Model Canvas, the e3value toolset, the Value Delivery Modeling Language (VDML), and the Enterprise Engineering framework.
The goal of the VMBO workshop series is two-fold:
- to bring together researchers with an interest in value modeling and business ontology to present and discuss the current state of the art
- to identify key areas for further research
In collaboration with the research school SIKS , the first day of the workshop will take the form of a masterclass on Data Semantics. Presentations will be given on business ontology (Bill McCarthy), ontological analysis (Giancarlo Guizzardi), knowledge graphs (George Fletcher) and enterprise modeling (Ulrich Frank).
Registration for the masterclass will be done via SIKS. Participants of VMBO do not need to register for the masterclass separately.
Topics of interest include, but are not limited to:
- Business ontology fundamentals
- Business ontology applications and experiences
- Ontology-driven enterprise system development
- Ontology-aware enterprise systems
- Ontological representations of aggregated data
- Data integration and data interoperability fundamentals
- Enterprise ontology
- Role of ontologies in enterprise architecture
- Ontologies and knowledge graphs
- Value modeling fundamentals and applications
- Paper submission: 10 Jan 2024
- Notification of acceptance: 22 Jan 2024
- Workshop: 26-27 Feb 2024
We encourage authors to submit papers for which they would like feedback from other participants of the workshop.
We solicit submissions that describe original research ideas or contributions, present problems or challenges encountered in practice, or report on industrial cases and practices. It is also possible to submit an abstract of a paper that has already been published (journal-first – indicate so in the submission). Priority will be given tot the first group.
- Respect the 10-page limit (excluding references)
- Be submitted in PDF
- Comply with the 1-column CEUR-ART Style
Accepted papers will be published with CEUR-WS.org online proceedings, if desired by the authors, under the series of the International Association by Ontology and its Applications (IAOA).
Note that papers submitted to the workshop will be reviewed only marginally. The program committee will use the papers to put together a final program; the aim is to accommodate all relevant papers with sufficient quality.