Wednesday 8 May 2019
Wednesday 20 November 2019
Time and Place
9.00 - 17.00 in U-parkhotel
This training will be paid from central funds. However, you do need permission from your head of department.
Minimum 5 and maximum 10 participants
Brigitte Hertz: http://www.bhertz.nl/
Course materials will be provided during the training.
Beginners as well as supervisors with a couple of years’ experience can attend this course. It is suited for postdocs, assistant-, associate- and full professors.
After this training course participants will have learned how to:
- Adjust their leadership style to specific situations
- Communicate effectively
- Give constructive feedback
- Supervise the planning
- Supervisors are expected to operate in a difficult situation: a PhD student has to develop his or her creativity, but is expected to achieve this in a time frame of three or four years. A PhD student is an employee as well as a student. A supervisor is a coach as well as an assessor.
- Discussing the model of Situational Leadership is an important subject in this workshop. A good coach is aware of her or his own strong and weak points in supervising others and can determine a supervision strategy depending on the situation and the PhD student that enables the student to solve problems independently as much as possible, completing the PhD program in a pleasant atmosphere and within the required time frame.
- Using a system for planning a PhD project is the second subject in the program (see our website www.projectmanagementforphds.com).
DURATION AND TIME INVESTMENT
One-day course. There will be an intake interview (by phone) before the course starts.