You have a phd and you are committed to having a career in science. You have realized that having a career in science is much more than just mastering scientific skills.
Most researchers have a certain image of what is needed to build a career in science: research, write, get funding, publish & repeat. The founders of this program, grant officers, noticed in their practice that much more is needed to get funding and to be really successful. Therefore they initiated this program to give researchers and assistant professors the tools to become well-known principal investigators.
Because to succeed in science, you need to bring your professional skills to the next level.
You need to establish and grow your network, become eligible for funding, and strongly position yourself in your research field. Career College to make your career much more than ‘just’ an impact factor and really build a career in science and specifically at Twente University.
At the end of the program you:
- You have the tools to make your career more than just an impact factor.
- You have more clarity on who you are as a scientist, what your ambitions are, how you fit into the field and where your development opportunities lie in terms of building your career.
- You have actively broadened your network. Not just in research but also in other areas like policy and companies.
- You know how to bridge the gap between science and policy, funding agencies, users, and companies for example in a successful pitch.
- You have the know-how of setting out a fund-raising strategy including a minimum of three realistic funding options and you have the commitment to follow.
- Finally, you know more about the inner workings of Twente University and how to get help in regard to further personal development and finding funding.
The college is aimed at assistant professors and postdocs, who are in the same stage of their career. This will provide a very interesting insight in other people’s perspectives and enrich your network. We will focus on experiential learning and practicing skills that are useful in your day-to-day work. You have the opportunity to discuss career-related dilemmas you encounter in your work and participate in personal coaching.
In this half-year program, Career College will help you make tangible developmental steps and really grow at Twente University.