This course aims to teach and guide University of Twente’s doctoral candidates through an enjoyable, thought-provoking and productive discovery of how each can transform the mind-set and outputs of their research areas into drivers of future university growth and resiliency to the challenges from an increasingly competitive, internationalized environment.
On day 1, we will get to know each other and begin to consider how to think, plan and behave entrepreneurially at UT. We will learn about entrepreneurs, their motivations and how they work to create value for themselves and others. We will have our first experiences with two core learning and planning tools that will be central to our work together and in your entrepreneurial efforts in the future. You will also get insights and learn from expertise on creating a venture within a university.
You’ll be encouraged to join informally for dinner together to share ideas and feedback with your colleagues and the program team.
On day 2, we will introduce and start using the “Business Model Canvas” method to quickly determine IF there is a venture behind your idea and how it can be created. Next, in the context of a university setting, we will learn the essentials of attracting and collaborating with teammates to help you improve and realize your ideas. We’ll draft and practice brief elevator pitches useful for you to attract partners, funders, and “customers” to support and grow your venture.
Everyone will leave with an actionable plan for taking the next steps towards launching one’s venture at UT.
PROGRAM - DAY ONE
- 10.00 Welcome with coffee
- 10.30 Orientation
- 10.45 Entrepreneurship at Universities
- 12.30 Lunch with inspirational entrepreneur as guest speaker
- 13.30 Generating and Communicating Your Ideas
- 15.30 Coffee and Tea Break
- 16.00 Guest Speaker on Academic Entrepreneurship
- 17:15 Overnight Reflection Assignment
- 17.30 Leisure Time
- 18.30 Dinner at Faculty Club
- 19.30 Optional Open Discussion with Neil (at Faculty Club)
PROGRAM - DAY TWO
- 09.00 Participants Share Results of Overnight Reflection
- 09.30 Attracting and Developing Successful Teams
- 10.00 Is There Really a There there? Assessing Viability and Modeling the Business
- 11.00 Coffee and Tea Break
- 11.30 Mastering Your Pitch Workshop
- 12.30 Working Lunch: Peer Coaching on Pitch Improvement
- 13.30 Pitch Practice: Confident, Convincing and Clear Presentations
- 15.00 Acting on Your Ideas
- 15.45 Conclusion and Call to Action
Mike Verkouter https://novelt.com/en/team/mike-verkouter
Neil Sheridan, MS, MBA https://www.linkedin.com/in/neilsheridan1776/