TGS course Creative and Design Thinking
By Geke Ludden & Armağan Karahanoğlu
The course will be a combination of preparation by the participants (recorded lectures and homework) and a workshop of full day and writing a short reflection.
- Read the following articles on creativity and design thinking: Dam & Siang https://www.interaction-design.org/literature/article/design-thinking-a-quick-overview Piffer https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/abs/pii/S1871187112000326
- Prepare one question per paper that we can discuss during the workshop.
- Think about a recent or actual organization or communication problem in your PhD project. The problem should not be related to the content of your PhD but to the process. For example, you might have problems writing a paper in collaboration with others or with organizing different activities. Write down in a few sentences what the problem is and how you have tried to solve it. Now formulate a question that you would like to find the answer(s) to with the group. Selected problems will be the subject of the creativity exercises.
Activities of the Workshop
Starts at 09:30 in DesignLab
Introductions and getting to know
- Introduce problems, forming groups and discussions
- Round 1 of working with creativity techniques – negative brainstorming (with prompting cards)
- Round 2 of working with creativity techniques – brainstorming, brainwriting pool + selection with stickers
- Round 3 of working with creativity techniques – prototyping
- Round 4 of working with creativity techniques – six thinking hats
- Wrap-up and Feedback
There will be lunch and coffee breaks in between the rounds.
After the workshop, you will write a reflection on how creativity techniques have helped generating new ideas OR a plan to integrate design thinking and creativity/creativity techniques in your project in the future. Details will follow.