R is a well documented, user-friendly statistical programming language that gained popularity alongside Python in the data science community. It offers capabilities of data handling, data storage, operators for calculations all sorts of data structures, many tools for data analysis and machine learning, graphical facilities, automatic reporting and many more. The R community offers all sorts of well documented packages to download for free which extend R’s functionality.
In this workshop you will learn the basics of the statistical programming language R and how to use the tidyverse for basic data wrangling
After completion of the workshop, you will be able to:
- set up a R project and R script;
- identify and work with the different data structure R offers (e.g. vectors, matrices, data frames);
- write your own if statements and for loops in R;
- download & install the R packages you need;
- load your own data into R;
- perform data wrangling using the tidyverse package;
- perform (simple) statistical analyses in R;
- find your own way online towards practical solutions in working with R to solve your visualization needs & problems.
Before attending the workshop please download and install both R and RStudio on your computer. Follow the guide on this website. Due to the richness R offers this workshop cannot cover all topics, it gives a mere introduction. To become sufficiently proficient it is advised to start by (1) redoing / rewriting your existing analyses in R and (2) keep trying and search online for solutions.