The workshop ‘Telephoning in English’ is intended for staff who are currently working remotely and are interested in improving their telephonic skills with the aim of coming across more professionally and to improve confidence in English. The skills developed in this workshop can also be transferred to video conferencing to a large extent. The workshop is designed for non-native speakers of English.
By the end of this workshop,
- you will have practiced and will have started to improve your telephonic skills in English.
- you have learnt conventions of telephonic interactions.
- you have learnt how to listen for cues that allow you to respond more flexibly and confidently in English.
Please note that the workshop primarily focuses on the language and communication skills necessary to make calls more confidently in the future.
In this workshop, you will:
- start improving current competency and fluency in English.
- start recognizing the structure of telephonic interactions.
- learn how to initiate phases of telephonic interactions.
- start using signposting and other language signals.
- learn how to start handling questions.
- learn how to respond to interlocutors who you might perceive as ‘being slightly difficult to deal with’.
The workshop offers you the insight into general telephoning conventions needed to be able to make calls more professionally. Prior to the workshop, you will be asked to bring two practice cases to work on. If you do not have any, practice materials shall be provided to you. In this workshop, you will get plenty of practice opportunities to apply what you have learnt in the session, which will allow you to develop your skills further.
The workshop Telephoning in English consists of one 2-hour session, which will be offered in a virtual classroom and will be hand-on. In this workshop, you will get plenty of practice opportunities to apply what you have learnt in the session. It also offers you the insight into general telephoning conventions needed to be able to make calls more professionally.