New dates to be announced
Time and Place
9.00 - 17.00
This training will be paid from central funds. However, you do need permission from your head of department.
Maximum of 25 participants
Aya van den Kroonenberg, senior trainer of Yellow Research and Telma Esteves, ERC grants advisor at the UT EU-Office.
Course materials will be provided during the training.
Researchers 2-12 years after PhD graduation date, who have achieved recognition of excellence in their respective fields. Researchers must have basic knowledge of the participation principles for ERC, and be committed to pursuing an ERC Starting or Consolidator Grant application in the 2018 call.
Researchers will achieve a good understanding of:
- the ERC evaluation criteria and how to address these by using a logic tree for grant writing;
- what makes an excellent PI according to the ERC evaluators of the different domains/panels;
- how to use the logic tree for grant writing, to prepare a competitive scientific proposal considering panel specifics and type of project;
ERC candidates will have the opportunity to work out on their own research project idea and CV during the Masterclass.
● ERC Grants in-a-nutshell
● Before you start writing
Considerations for developing a research idea fitting the ERC programme, in support of a solid start of proposal writing.
● The Extended Synopsis
The extended synopsis is a 5-page summary of the Scientific Proposal with an emphasis on the groundbreaking nature and feasibility of the proposal and how the outcomes of the research will impact further research.
Exercise: pitch of project concept, discussed in the light of ERC principles and criteria
● The Principal Investigator
We will address the key elements for Curriculum Vitae including assessment of career achievements, Funding ID, and Early Achievement Track Record.
Exercise: peer-review of CV in ERC format
● The Scientific Proposal
We will discuss the project template, with focus on B2b methodology and B2c resources; final recap of ‘what’s important’ in ERC Guide for Applicants and the ERC selection criteria.
● Question time, including individual assessment of next steps in preparing ERC application.
The complete ERC proposal Masterclass programme include:
- Day 1: training before you write your proposal (present description)
- Day 2: feedback on draft proposal (date to be determined)
ERC applicants reaching step 2 evaluation will be supported further with specific ERC Interview training.
The study load for this course is roughly equivalent to 0,5 ECTS.
It is expected that the applicants contact Telma Esteves (email@example.com), to discuss ERC-basics, including eligibility criteria. Candidates are to submit their CV using the current ERC proposal template, one week prior to the Masterclass, to firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com.
Selected course is not available.