apply for a force majeure allowance
apply within 3 months after te end of your circumstances
  1. Financial support is possible in case of study delay due to certain specific circumstances.

The Force Majeure Allowance Regulation is part of the FOBOS (Financial Support for Special Circumstance of Students). The Committee Personal Circumstances (CPO) will assess your application on behalf of the Executive Board. In case of questions, please contact the CPO registry or a student counsellor.

The rules in short

  • The regulation FOBOS 2018 is applicable
  • Support is only for recognized circumstances for Bachelor and or Master students during the compensation period (C+1) of Bachelor and/or Master
  • Only full-time enrolled students are eligible

  • Pre-master students are only elegible for this regulation in case of recognized insufficient feasible educational programme

  • Submit application within 3 months after the end of the circumstances
  • Students solely enrolled for a Premaster programme are only eligible for this regulation in case of an insufficient feasible programme
  • One month force majeure allowance is equal to one month payed tuition fee
  • The granting of an additional year by  DUO is not taken into account

The compensation period (C+1)

Only study delay in the period C+1 is eligible. C+1 = nominal study duration for the programme plus one extension year. Thus:

  • Bachelor students: within the first 4 year of the bachelor programme, counted from the moment of first enrolment in a bachelors' programme in Higher Education.
  • Master students: within the first 2 year of the master programme, counted from the moment of first enrolment of a one year masters' programme in Higher Education. For masters' programmes of 2 or more years, the period will be extended with those years.

Notification required

  1. When your circumstances could lead to study delay, you need to notify your study adviser immediately. He or she will discuss whether adjustments are necessary (e.g. adapted study plan).
  2. When indeed study delay occurred due to your circumstances, you need to report this to the student counselor within 3 months. Late notification may lead to a rejection of you application. An appointment with a student counselor can be made through the SACC secretariat.

Application Procedure

  1. Make sure that you submit your application within 3 months directly following the end your circumstances. You can send in an application trough the web application. Give a clear description of your circumstances and the extent of the delay. If you haven't enough room on the application form for that, you can e-mail your explanation to
  2. If you haven’t met that deadline, your application will be considered inadmissible and therefore will not be handled. Only when you have proof of legitimate grounds, the CPO may acknowledge your application (hardship clause).
  3. Hand in possible evidence as soon as possible. You can e-mail them to 
required additional evidence
see what is needed

 Determining the support

  • Recognition of circumstances and period of delay
    If you are delayed during any academic year, the CPO will determine the recognizability of the delayed period and circumstances.
  • Determining the amount of the support
    The seize of the force majeure allowance depends on the length of the compensation period, the earned credits and possibly earlier granted support for that period. The size of the support, however, can never be more than the credits that you yet have to complete for your bachelor or master's degree at the start of the recognized delayed period.

Force majeure allowance combined with other Support

  1. During the period of study delay: if you have received activism grants, top-level sports grants or top-level arts grants for the same period for which you have applied for a force majeure allowance, the number of grants will be deducted from the calculated study delay.
  2. Per calendar year: you cannot receive more than 12 months force majeure allowances, activism grants, top-levels sports/arts grants together.

The Amount of the allowance

  • One month force majeure allowance equals one month payed tuition fee.
  • The force majeure allowance during your periode of enrolment at the UT is totalized to 24 months (including activism-, top-level sport- and top-level arts grants). 
  • In principle financial support out of the Profiling Fund (WHW 7.51) is not taxable. This means that you do not have to report your force majeure allowance as income to the Dutch tax authorities. 

Insufficient feasible educational programme

If you are dealing with problems of a part (module, course, semester) of your educational programme or with your internship or thesis, you need to notify your study adviser or programme director a.s.a.p. If, however, it has caused study delay, you may be eligible for a Force Majeure Allowance. See the regulation FOBOS, Force Majeure Allowance Regulation (art. 3.) for the application procedure.

FOBOS regulation (pdf)