This three-hour workshop will cover several aspects of academic tone, including the differences between formal and informal writing. Participants will learn: how to identify and avoid language that is too informal to be used in an academic context, and new methods for building academic vocabulary.
- formality in academic English
- how to find and use academic vocabulary
- how to use technical, field-specific terms and jargon
- sentence structure in academic writing
- when to use complex sentences
- when to use active and passive voice
- when to use personal pronouns
There are 30 minutes of preparation tasks to complete before one evening session of three hours (18:00-21:00).