The UTQ (or in dutch: BKO) is a qualification of didactic competences of university teachers. All teaching staff of the University of Twente have to acquire this certificate within 3 years after their employment. In 2008 14 Dutch universities have officially signed a joint agreement of the Teaching Qualification (UTQ) and its characteristics. An UTQ qualification is nationally acknowlegded.
The UTQ of the UT is about developing and demonstrating 6 didactic competences in a portfolio:
Competence 1: Developing teaching
Competence 2: Implementing teaching
Competence 3: Testing & assessment
Competence 4: Organization of education
Competence 5: Evaluating teaching
Competence 6: Professionalization
Check here for the specific UTQ competences and criteria.
Supervision and facilitation
The UTQ starts with an intake interview with the supervisor of your own faculty:
firstname.lastname@example.org (maternity leave till June)
email@example.com (replacement Feb till June)
CTW / ET
Charlotte Oude Alink
EWI / EEMCS
Marie Jose Verkroost
During the UTQ track you will be supervised by your own faculty supervisor, who will provide you with information, feedback and supervision meetings with peers. If you want you can also follow didactic courses and/or practical workshops to educate yourself into the several education principles and techniques.
Althoug following our courses is not obliged (the UTQ learning path is characterized by a self-directed approach), nevertheless we do advice to follow (some) basic courses.
Manuals and procedures
For NEW teachers:
For EXPERIENCED teachers:
UTQ Exemption: rules & procedure
An UTQ exemption stands for an equivalent of the UTQ competences and is granted in case of:
- a diplom of a post graduate teacher training (eerstegraads bevoegdheid), followed by a reflection report of the UTQ competencies focused on the application of the educational theory in the academic context.
- a VELON certificate
- an abroad achieved pedagogical diplom/certificate in academic context, equivalent to the UTQ competences.
Note: an UTQ exemption means the acquitance of the UTQ obligation. An UTQ exemption will not lead to an UTQ certificate/qualification.
- If you think you are eligible for an UTQ exemption, please contact the HR advisor of your own faculty.
- The HR advisor requests for the exemption through the exemption advisor of CELT.
- The CELT advisor evaluates the evidences delivered by the candidate (diploms, supporting documents).
- The CELT advisor will schedule a meeting with the candidate to talk about the reflection report, diplom/certificate and the UT educational context
- CELT advises the faculty (dean/HR) about granting or not the UTQ exemption.
- Finally the faculty decides whether to assign the exemption and informes the candidate
4TU: Arbitration & Appeal
In the 4TU UTQ regulation you'll find the information of the joined procedures, competences and the arbitration and appeal procedure in case of disagreement of the assessment result.