In collaboration with other prjects, scholars in the centre for digital inclusion contribute to the development of instruments to measure digital inclusion. In the DISTO project, for example, questionnaires on digital skills, internet use and internet outcomes are being developed that are used by the wider academic community (in full or short versions). These questionnaires were originally developed and tested in the Netherlands and England, but are now used worldwide, with partners in Australia, Chile, Brazil, Uruguay, USA and Kuweit. The developed items for measuring internet skills are used in the Global Kids Online project, the World Internet Project, and the ySkills project. Measurements of Internet skills, use and outcomes are continuously improved and adapted to be suitable for measurements at work, for different generations and ages, and for disadvantaged groups.
English yDSI questionnaire via the ySkills project:
- Helsper, E.J., Schneider, L.S., van Deursen, A.J.A.M. & van Laar, E. (2021). The youth Digital Skills Indicator: Report on the conceptualisation and development of the ySKILLS digital skills measure.
English Disto questionnaires via the DISTO project:
- Questionnaire on Skills (from DiSTO NEETs)
- Helsper, E.J., Van Deursen, A.J.A.M and Eynon, R. (2016) Internet Outcomes Questionnaire
- Helsper, E.J., Eynon, R., and Van Deursen, A.J.A.M (2016) Internet Uses Questionnaire
- Van Deursen, A.J.A.M., Helsper, E.J. & Eynon, R. (2016) Development and validation of the Internet Skills Scale (ISS)
- Helsper, E.J., Van Deursen, A.J.A.M. and Eynon, R. (2015) Digital Skills Questionnaire for Children
- Helsper, E.J., Van Deursen, A.J.A.M. and Eynon, R. (2015) Revised Digital Skills Items for Adults and Children (to Ask Adults)
- Helsper, E.J., Van Deursen, A.J.A.M., and Eynon, R. (2015) From Digital Skills to Tangible Outcomes: Full Questionnaire
- World Internet Project (2016) Core Skills Question Set.
- Global Kids Online (2016) Core Skills Question Set for Children.
Dutch versions of the surveys above are available (please mail).
Other initiatives that use the surveys above as a base:
- Digital Competence accross the lifespan (University of Amsterdam)
Some of the Disto team members