The High-tech Business and Entrepreneurship (HBE) cluster at the Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social Sciences is a growing research group that holds a leading position at the interfaces of business, technology and the social sciences. The HBE cluster conducts cross-disciplinary business research, supporting organizations in innovative and entrepreneurial management and decision-making.
We attract talent from all over the world from different disciplines (computer science, operations research, mathematics, engineering, business & management, other social sciences). We perform ground-breaking research combining various high-tech business domains, such as smart-industry, supply chain management, transportation and logistics management, innovation management, technology based entrepreneurship, purchasing and supply management, corporate finance, HRM, leadership and change management. Are you looking for an ambitious environment to expand the borders of your home discipline and develop cross-disciplinary research and teaching? We challenge conventional scholarly wisdom! Join our team and strive to have a significant and sustainable impact on science and society.
We are looking for:
(0,8 – 1,0 FTE)
You contribute to research, teaching, and knowledge valorisation. You will be responsible for:
- carrying out ambitious high-tech business research, with a genuine interest in operating at crossroads of different disciplines;
- growing your home-based specific expertise and develop an interdisciplinary research line linked to various research themes within the cluster;
- building our research and teaching ecosystem (e.g., by acquiring external research funding);
- (co-)teaching and coordinating courses in our Bachelor, Master, and Executive programs of (International) Business Administration, Industrial Engineering & Management, Business & IT, and Health Sciences;
- supervising students from these programs in their graduation assignment;
- developing expertise in novel data driven research methods (data science, business analytics, machine learning, simulation, virtual reality, etc.) in collaboration with BMS lab (a lab from our faculty that supports researchers with facilities and equipment);
- contributing towards the supervision of PhD students;
- conducting research in collaboration with industrial and societal partners to realise impact.
The interest and expertise of candidates should fit well into the HBE cluster (https://www.utwente.nl/en/bms/research/departments-institutes/#department-clusters). Amongst others, HBE contributes to addressing the following challenges: (1) sustainable renewal of industry and smart businesses; (2) support of innovative and entrepreneurial decision-making; (3) innovative business models and organizational forms for inclusive societies; (4) computational social sciences for businesses in the Industry 4.0; and (5) advanced decision support science (AI, machine learning, big data). Successful candidates are expected to:
- show vision and entrepreneurial drive (seeing opportunities and possibilities, showing ambition);
- hold a PhD degree in a relevant background and have experience in research, which is apparent from publications in highly ranked academic journals, presentations in international scientific conferences, and other academic activities;
- have affinity with the high-tech business domain
- show evidence of advanced research methods mastery;
- make use of advanced business analytics (AI, machine learning, big data, etc.);
- conduct (fundamental and applied) research within a multidisciplinary environment;
- are active in networks for obtaining research funding, and have ambition and experience in working closely with companies and government agencies;
- have proven teaching experience (both lecturing and tutoring) at a top 500 (Times Higher Education) university;
- possess good communication skills and the English proficiency level C2 (European Framework) or equivalents;
- possess a University Teaching Qualification (UTQ) certificate, or be willing to obtain this, and have a real passion for, and the ambition to become a creative and effective teacher.
The candidates we seek will advance research in the high-tech business domain through his or her expertise. In addition, he or she will also show vision and entrepreneurial drive (identifying opportunities and possibilities, showing daring). Due partly to the collaboration between several specialisations within the cluster, it is essential that the candidates possess a good sense of teamwork and collaboration.
We realise that the defined candidate profile is extremely broad, and that it is not realistic to have affinity with all of the high-tech business domains in which HBE operates. We therefore explicitly invite you to apply if you believe you fit even part of the profile. We use the following selection criteria:
- a doctorate background relating to preferably multiple of the following (inter-) disciplinary fields: Supply Chain Management, Logistics, Healthcare Logistics, Purchasing and Supply Management, Entrepreneurship, Technology and/or Innovation management, Change Management, Human Resource Management, Financial Management, Fintech, Business Information Systems, and Business Analytics;
- excellent research abilities, as evidenced by international publications and research projects, experience in (co-)supervision of PhD projects;
- excellent teaching abilities, as evidenced by teaching evaluations and/or the coordination of teaching;
- excellent command of spoken and written English.
Your application should include the following documents:
- a cover letter in English that explains your interest in a position and your qualifications for it;
- a curriculum vitae which also includes the name and e-mail address/telephone number of (preferably) two or more references;
- a copy of your PhD-thesis or, if it is not yet available, an outline and summary of your thesis and one of your scientific papers.
Applications should be uploaded via the application link below. Applicants are requested to combine all application materials (cover letter, curriculum vitae, list of teaching & research accomplishments) into a single PDF file and upload it before November 30, 2019 on the website: https://www.utwente.nl/en/organization/careers/!/415587/6-assistentassociate-professors-in-high-tech-business.
The HBE cluster is dedicated to encouraging a supportive and inclusive working culture. Our aim is that all job applicants are given equal opportunities. When we select candidates for employment, it will be on the basis of their aptitude and ability. To support the workforce diversity, we are open to offer flexible working conditions on an individual basis to support work-life balance, which may include contract of employment, working hours and location, or childcare arrangements.
We offer 4-year appointments that, when positively evaluated, will lead to permanent appointment. The starting salary, depending on your experience, ranges between € 3.637 to € 6.738 gross per month (in accordance with the Collective Labour Agreement for Dutch Universities), based on the job profile Assistant or Associate Professor. In addition, the University of Twente offers additional attractive employment conditions (8% holiday allowance, 8.3% end-of-year bonus, solid pension scheme, sabbatical leave, professional and personal development programs, etc.).
The University of Twente. We stand for life sciences and technology. High tech and human touch. Education and research that matter. New technology, which drives change, innovation and progress in society. The University of Twente is the only campus university in the Netherlands; divided over six faculties we provide more than fifty educational programmes. The University of Twente has a strong focus on personal development and talented researchers are given scope for carrying out groundbreaking research.
The Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social Sciences (BMS) comprises disciplines that shape the social aspects of technology Innovation. The BMS Faculty strives to play a pivotal role in understanding, co-engineering and evaluating innovation in society. Through ‘social engineering’, technological advances are embedded in society within public and private management and business structures, befitting human needs and behaviour. In order to do so, the BMS Faculty boasts academic disciplinary knowledge in industrial engineering, business administration, public administration, communication sciences, psychology, philosophy, education sciences, all with a focus on taking on societal challenges.
You can submit your application online (https://www.utwente.nl/en/organization/careers/!/415587/6-assistentassociate-professors-in-high-tech-business) before November 30, 2019. For more information on these positions, you can contact prof. dr. J. van Hillegersberg, Chairman of the HBE cluster and Head of the Department of Industrial Engineering and Business Information Systems (email: firstname.lastname@example.org, phone: +31-53-4893513/3426). For more information on the HBE cluster, look at the department websites listed under HBE on https://www.utwente.nl/en/bms/research/departments-institutes/#department-clusters.