Dr. D.M. (Devrim) Yazan
University of Twente
Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social Sciences
Dep. Industrial Engineering and Business Information Systems
P.O. Box 217
7500 AE Enschede
Room: RA 3315 (Ravelijn)
Tel: (+31 53 489)6520
Devrim Murat Yazan holds B.Sc. degree from Marmara University (Istanbul, Turkey) in Industrial Engineering and a Ph.D. degree in Advanced Production Systems from Interpolytechnic School of Doctorate (Polytechnics of Bari-Turin-Milan, Italy, 2010) in the field of Innovation Management and Product Development, by the thesis entitled: ‘Economic and environmental sustainability of production chains: An Enterprise Input-Output approach’. He was a visiting Ph.D. at the Operations Department of University of Groningen (the Netherlands) for one year in 2009 and conducted research on the implementation and coordination of joint production chains via waste and end-of-life product recycling. After completing his Ph.D., he joined University of Twente’s Biofuels Platform as a post-doctoral researcher at the Twente Centre for Technology and Sustainable Development in 2011. He has been coordinating the research and international networking of the Biofuels Platform since then and dealt with the sustainability of bioenergy supply chains, development of local biomass markets, and efficient regional use of bio-resources. In 2014-2015, upon winning a research grant from Sardinia Autonomous Government, he was involved in a regional research project on the sustainability analysis of a bio-refinery supply chain and its role for regional development, in Green Pole industrial zone in Sardinia (Italy).
He joined IEBIS upon winning a research grant in April 2015 within the TECH4PEOPLE project entitled: ‘Design of sustainable second-generation bioenergy supply chains’. Since September 2015 he is also leading the IEBIS in the EU project entitled: ‘SHAREBOX- Secure Management Platform for Shared Process Resources’. This 4-years project is also brought to the University of Twente by his initiative, efforts and international networking. Details about the project are available at: http://sharebox-project.eu/.
One of his research interests is the design and development of industrial symbiosis networks where waste of a firm substitutes the primary resource of another firm. Currently, he is leading IEBIS in the SHAREBOX project which is funded by the European Commission within the Horizon2020 Sustainable Processing Industry through Resource and Energy Efficiency (SPIRE) framework. He is the work-package (WP3) leader and the head of the technology development team of the SHAREBOX project. The project aims at developing a decision-support-system for secure management of resource-sharing in industrial symbiosis networks. IEBIS has the role of implementing intelligent decision-support tools using input-output modelling, game theory, and agent-based modelling in SHAREBOX project. The project involves 16 partners from UK, Germany, Switzerland, Spain, and Turkey, with a total budget of 5.9M € of which 725k € is for IEBIS.
Sustainable supply chain management, implementation of bio-based economy and circular economy, innovative business models for sustainable regional development, corporate social responsibility, company behavior in emerging waste markets, design and operations of industrial symbiosis networks, sustainability monitoring, reuse-recycling-remanufacturing, mobile biomass processing, bio-refinery and bio-energy supply chains, input-output modelling, game theory, agent-based modelling, life cycle assessment.
Peer-review international journal articles
- Yazan, D.M., Mandras, G., Garau, G. (2017) Environmental and economic sustainability of integrated production in bio-refineries: the thistle case in Sardinia. Renewable Energy, Vol. 102, 349-360.
- Yazan, D.M., van Duren I., Mes, M., Kersten, S., Clancy, J., Zijm, H. (2016) Design of sustainable second-generation biomass supply chains. Biomass and Bioenergy, Vol. 94, 173-186.
- Yazan, D.M., Romano, V.A., Albino, V. (2016) The design of industrial symbiosis: An input-output approach. Journal of Cleaner Production, Vol. 129, 537-547.
- Yazan, D.M. (2016) Constructing joint production chains: an enterprise input-output approach for alternative energy use. Resources, Conservation & Recycling, Vol. 107, 38-52.
- Albino, V., Yazan, D.M., Messeni Petruzzelli, A., Okogbaa, G.O. (2011) Logistics flows and enterprise input-output models: aggregate and disaggregate analysis. International Journal of Operations and Quantitative Management, Vol. 17 (2), pp. 123-146.
- Yazan, D.M., Messeni Petruzzelli, A., Albino, V. (2011) Analyzing the environmental impact of transportation in reengineered supply chains: a case study from a leather upholstery company. Transportation Research Part D: Transport and Environment, Vol. 16 (4), pp. 335-340.
- Yazan, D.M., Garavelli, A.C., Messeni Petruzzelli, A., Albino, V. (2011) The effect of spatial variables on the economic and environmental performance of bioenergy production chains. International Journal of Production Economics, Vol. 131 (1), pp. 224-233.
- Kühtz, S., Zhou, C., Albino, V., Yazan, D.M. (2010) Energy use in two Italian and Chinese tile manufacturers: a comparison using an enterprise input-output model. Energy, Vol. 35 (1), pp.364-374.
- Yazan, D.M., Clancy, J., Lovett, J.C. (2012) Supply chains, techno-economic assessment and market development for second generation biodiesel. In: Luque R., Melero J.A. Advances in biodiesel production. Second generation processes and technologies, Cambridge, Woodhead Publishing.
Peer-review articles under review
- Yazan, D.M., Cafagna, D., Mes, M., Fraccascia, L., Pontrandolfo, P., Zijm, H. (2015) Economic sustainability of biogas production from animal manure: a regional circular economy model, under review in Journal of Management Research Review. First version presented at: 4th International Symposium jointly organized by EGADE Business School of Tecnológico de Monterrey, University of Twente, Unilever México & Greening of Industry Network: Circular economy inspiring sustainable innovation, Mexico City, Mexico, November, 11-13, 2015.
Conference papers with proceedings
- Yazdanpanah, V., Yazan, D.M., Zijm, H. 2016 Normative industrial symbiotic networks - a position paper. 14th European Conference on Multi-Agent Systems – EUMAS 2016, Valencia, Spain, December, 15-16.
- Yazan, D.M., Fraccascia, L., Mes, M., Zijm, H. 2016 Cooperation in manure-based biogas production networks: An agent-based modelling approach. Information Systems, Logistics, and Supply Chain Conference, Bordeaux, France, June 1-4.
- Yazan, D.M., Fraccascia, L., Albino, V., Zijm, H. 2016 Cooperation in Industrial Symbiosis Business Models: An Agent-Based Modelling Approach. International Society for Industrial Ecology Meeting, Bogota, Colombia, May, 24-27.
- Yazan, D.M. 2016 Environmental benefits of waste loop-closing in bio-refinery supply chains. International Society for Industrial Ecology Meeting, Bogota, Colombia, May, 24-27.
- Mandras, G., Yazan, D.M. 2015 Biorefineries as a regional development strategy: a regional input-output analysis, Ricerca in Vetrina, Alghero, Italy, October, 9-10.
- Yazan, D.M., Mandras, G., Garau, G. 2014 The role of bio-product supply chains in regional bio-economy: a sustainability analysis with input-output modelling, 22nd International Input-Output Conference, Lisbon, Portugal, July 14-18.
- Yazan, D.M. 2013 Environmental performance of biorefinery supply chains, 21st International Input-Output Conference, Kitakyushu, Japan, July 7-12.
- Albino, V., Yazan, D.M. 2013 Economic and environmental benefits of industrial symbiosis: an enterprise input-output analysis, 21st International Input-Output Conference, Kitakyushu, Japan, July 7-12.
- Yazan, D.M., Dangelico, R., Albino, V. 2010 Cooperation in closed-loop supply chains: economic impacts of company behaviour, 18th International Input-Output Conference, Sydney, Australia, June 20-25.
- Albino, V., Dietzenbacher, E., Yazan, D.M. 2010 Industrial symbiosis between production chains: an enterprise input-output analysis, 18th International Input-Output Conference, Sydney, Australia, June 20-25.
- Yazan, D.M., Dietzenbacher, E., van Donk, D.P. 2010 The design and coordination of joint production chains incorporating waste recycling, 18th International Input-Output Conference, Sydney, Australia, June 20-25.
- Albino, V., Messeni Petruzzelli, A., Yazan, D.M. 2009 Cooperation among production chains to mitigate their environmental impact, 20th International Conference on Production Research, Shanghai, China, August 2-6.
- Yazan, D.M., Dietzenbacher, E., van Donk, D.P. 2009 Evaluation of the impact of coordination policies on the performance of joint production chains, 17th International Input-Output Conference, Sao Paulo, Brazil, July 12-17.
- Albino, V., Messeni Petruzzelli, A., Yazan, D.M. 2008 The environmental sustainability of production chains in concrete industry: an enterprise input-output approach, Input-Output and Environment Conference, Seville, Spain, July 9-11.
- Albino, V., Garavelli, A.C., Messeni Petruzzelli, A., Yazan, D.M. 2008 Economic and environmental performance of agro-energy production chains, Input-Output and Environment Conference, Seville, Spain, July 9-11.
- Albino, V., De Nicolò, M., Garavelli, A.C., Messeni Petruzzelli, A., Yazan, D.M. 2007 Rural development and agro-energy supply chain: an application of enterprise input-output modelling supported by GIS, 16th International Input-Output Conference, Istanbul, Turkey, July 2-6.
- Yazan, D.M., Arentsen, M., Körner, I., Murphy, L., Baumgartner, R. Jelemensky, L., Krozer, Y. Narodoslawsky, M. (2014) Innovation challenge towards rational use of bio-resources in Europe: a discourse book. ESEIA working group in bio-resources. Available at: http://www.eseia.eu/files/attachments/10457/453058_eseia_Discourse_Book_May_2014.pdf.
- Albino, V., Dangelico, R., Natalicchio, A., Yazan, D.M. (2011) Alternative energy sources in cement manufacturing: a systematic review of the body of knowledge. Network for Business Sustainability. Available at: http://nbs.net/wp-content/uploads/NBS-Systematic-Review-Cement-Manufacturing.pdf .
- 2015 € 5.9M (€ 725k for University of Twente, IEBIS department) from EU Horizon2020 Call for SPIRE6 – Sustainable Process Industries for “Secure Management Platform for Shared Process Resources –SHAREBOX” Research consortia composed of 15 partners from 6 different European countries.
- 2015 € 60.000 (with the research team: van Duren I., Mes, M., Kersten, S., Clancy, J., Zijm, H.) from University of Twente, Faculty of Management and Behavioural Sciences, call for Tech4People joint research proposals, for “Designing sustainable second generation bioenergy supply chains: an agent-based modelling approach”.
- 2014 € 70.000 from Regione Autonoma di Sardegna (Sardinian Autonomous Region, Cagliari, Italy) PO FSE 2007/2013 – Asse IV Capitale Umano- Linea di Attività - l.1.1 – Esercizio Finanziario, for “The role of company behaviour and information availability on the environmental and economic performance of supply chains”.
- 2010 Cdn$ 35.000 (with the research team: Albino, V., Dangelico, R., Natalicchio, A.) from Network for Business Sustainability (Richard Ivey School of Business of University of Western Ontario, Canada), for “A review and synthesis of research on the use of alternative energy sources in cement manufacturing”.
- 2010 US$ 2.500 from International Input-Output Association, for the participation in the 18th International Input Output Conference, 20-25 June, Sydney. The grant is gained by the monograph: Yazan, D.M. Constructing joint production chains: an enterprise input-output approach.
2015-2019 Development of intelligent mathematical tools for decision support in a secure resource-sharing management platform (Yazdanpanah, V., Department of Industrial Engineering and Business Information Systems, Faculty of Behavioural, Management, and Social Sciences, University of Twente).
2015-2019 Development of intelligent mathematical tools for decision support in a secure resource-sharing management platform (van Capelleveen, G., Department of Industrial Engineering and Business Information Systems, Faculty of Behavioural, Management, and Social Sciences, University of Twente).
2016 Guest Ph.D. supervision in Business Models for Industrial Symbiosis (Fraccascia, L.).
Designed course under preparation
- 2017-2018 Sustainable Business Development (Master of Industrial Engineering and Management and Master of Bioresource Value Chain Management, UT, the Netherlands) – material preparation of this course is financed by Bioenergy Train (BET) project which is funded by European Commission HORIZON2020 Teaching Programme. Information about BET project is available at: http://www.bioenergytrain.eu/
- 2016 Biomass and biorefinery value chain management (BioEnergy Train – EU project, Laboratorio Nacional de Energia e Geologia, Lisbon, Portugal)
- 2016 Measuring sustainability along supply chains (Bachelor of Product Design to Online Business, IEBIS, UT, the Netherlands)
- 2011-2013 Sustainability of bioenergy supply chains and input-output modelling (Master of Environmental and Energy Management, CSTM, UT, the Netherlands)
- 2010 Economic input-output analysis (Master of Management Engineering: Energy Economics, Politecnico di Bari, Italy)
- 2010 Negotiation and cooperation between the actors of projects: game theoretical approach (master level course in Promotion and Implementation of Innovation Paths in Small-Medium Enterprises, Centro Laser Research Centre, Bari, Italy)
Other teaching skills and activities
- Italian language teacher, holds the international Italian teaching certificate DITALS I (Didattica dell’Italiano come Lingua Straniera, L2) granted and issued by Università per gli Stranieri di Siena
- Evaluation committee jury in the International Future Ideas Academic Theses Competition in Future of Business Module, http://futureideas.org/jury/Business/
- Buyer-seller relationships in biogas supply chains (Cafagna, D., student hosted in IEBIS in collaboration with Politecnico di Bari within the Erasmus Traineeship Programme, Master of Management Engineering).
- Greening the Spatial Impact of Urbanization via Sustainable Regional Development in Sub-Saharan Africa (Bammeke, P.O., Master of Energy and Environmental Management, University of Twente).
- Biofuel strategy contributing to energy security in Ethiopia (Etaferahu, C., Master of Energy and Environmental Management, University of Twente).
- Waste to energy in Ghana (Abdul Sami, R., Master of Energy and Environmental Management, University of Twente).
- Input-output models for symbiotic productions (Romano, V.A., Politecnico di Bari).
- Economic and environmental evaluation of the construction and demolition waste use in concrete industry: an input-output approach integrated with GIS technology (Decaro, E., Politecnico di Bari).
- Economic and environmental performance of agro-energy supply chains: a LCA analysis integrated with input-output approach (Ronzulli, M., Politecnico di Bari).
- Bioethanol production from second generation biomass: economic analysis based on input-output approach (Pilolli, R., Politecnico di Bari).
- Cooperation in reverse supply chains: a game theory approach integrated by input-output analysis (d’Amato, F., Politecnico di Bari).
- The strategies for raw materials recovery from urban wastes: plant localization and logistics organization by input-output approach (Congedo, A., University of Salento).
- Analysing greenhouse gas emissions of US transportation sector by input-output approach integrated by systems dynamics (Convertino, A., University of Salento).
- Assessing biofuel policy differences between the Netherlands and Germany Using the Advocacy Coalition Framework (Nouwen, L., B.Sc. in European Studies, University of Twente).