Dr. Miha Lavrič
University of Twente
Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social Sciences
Department Industrial Engineering and Business Information Systems
P.O. Box 217
7500 AE Enschede
Room: RA 3333 (Ravelijn)
Tel: +31 53 489 3324
Miha is a Tech4People funded postdoctoral researcher working primarily on the Tech4People project entitled “Use of predictive modeling tools to aid in the identification of child abuse and neglect, as well as other risks to child health and well-being”. For his research, Miha is analyzing structured and unstructured (e.g. doctors’ and nurses’ free text notes) data that has been collected during regular consultation visits of children between the ages zero and four at regional preventive child health care organizations. The data is provided by the regional public health organization GGD Twente, Enschede.
Miha is also co-supervising BIT students during their bachelor research assignments that involve analysis of healthcare-related structured and unstructured data using prediction modeling and machine learning approaches.
As a part-time ETL Data Researcher at the company Medical Research Data Management B.V (MRDM), Deventer, Miha is also analyzing the Dutch Institute of Clinical Audit (DICA) datasets on colorectal (DSCA) and lung (DLCA) cancer with the purpose of identifying patterns with healthcare improvement potential.
- Use of predictive modeling tools to aid in the identification of child abuse and neglect, and other risks to child health and well-being.
- Applying data mining and machine learning techniques on national surveys of child health data to identify patterns useful for early detection of autism spectrum disorders.
- Identification of patterns with healthcare improvement potential in DICA and IKNL cancer patient datasets.
- Investigating the risk of individual re-identification in (partially) anonymized cancer patient datasets.
- Analyses of clinical and laboratory parameters for predicting juvenile arthritic disease development over time.
- Analyses of clinical and laboratory parameters for predicting unstable inflammatory bowel disease remission and necessity for intensified maintenance therapy.
- Predictive modeling in healthcare, disease management and biomedicine
- Use of machine learning and advanced statistics in biomedicine and healthcare
- Data analytics and text mining
Miha is originally “more bio” by trade as he holds a B.Sc. in Microbiology/Microbial Ecology and a Ph.D. in Genetics, both from the University of Ljubljana, Slovenia. Following his Ph.D., he worked first as a postdoctoral researcher at the University of Trieste, Italy and later at the University of Muenster/University Hospital Muenster, Germany. For his biomedical research, Miha started with extensive use of data analysis and data mining software for analyzing microarray gene expression data that he collected from avian or mammal host cells that were exposed to bacteria, viruses (e.g. avian flu) or their constitutive components. Later on, Miha used his data analysis skill for biomarker discovery and clinical evaluation of biomarkers for seronegative arthritis, juvenile rheumatic diseases, and inflammatory bowel disease. Miha is now applying his analytical experience in the Tech4People project problem setting while learning ETL tricks-of-the-trade and coding in Python and R.
WORK EXPERIENCE AND EDUCATION
- (2016-) Tech4People postdoctoral researcher (University of Twente) and ETL Data Researcher (MRDM, Deventer). PI: Assist. Prof. Dr. Chintan Amrit
- (2013-2016) MIAMI (Monitoring Innate Immunity in Arthritis and Mucosal Inflammation) Senior postdoctoral researcher, Department of Pediatric Rheumatology and Immunology Clinic, University Hospital Muenster, Germany. PI: Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Dirk Foell
- (2012-2013) AID-NET (Autoinflammatory disorders in children: Genetics, disease mechanisms, diagnostic markers, and therapeutic targets) postdoctoral researcher, Institute of Immunology, University of Muenster, Germany. PI: Univ.-Prof. Dr. med. Dirk Foell
- (2010-2012) Parental leave
- (2008-2009) Marie Curie TRACKS (Transglutaminases: role in pathogenesis, diagnosis, and therapy) experienced researcher (postdoctoral position), Department of Life Sciences, University of Trieste, Italy. PIs: Prof. Roberto Marzari and Assoc. Prof. Daniele Sblattero
- (2007) Researcher, Department of Animal Sciences, Biotechnical faculty, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia. PI: Prof. Mojca Narat
- (2003-2007) Ph.D. student researcher, Department of Animal Sciences, Biotechnical faculty, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia. Ph.D. thesis: “Molecular characterization of chicken immunocompetent cell response to haemagglutinins isolated from Mycoplasma synoviae”. PIs: Prof. Mojca Narat and Dr. Dušan Benčina
- (2005-2006) Fulbright visiting research fellow, Department of Animal and Food Sciences, University of Delaware, Newark, USA. PI: Prof. Calvin L. Keeler, Jr.
- (2005) DAAD (German Academic Exchange Services) visiting research fellow, Institute of Animal Physiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ludwig-Maximillian-University, Munich, Germany. PI: Prof. Bernd Kaspers
- (2004) FEMS (Federation of European Microbiological Societies) visiting research fellow, Institute of Animal Physiology, Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Ludwig-Maximillian-University, Munich, Germany. PI: Prof. Bernd Kapers
- (1997-2002) Study of Microbiology/Microbial Ecology at the Biotechnical Faculty, University of Ljubljana, Slovenia. B.Sc. thesis: “Development of a method for cloning simple sequence repeats into Escherichia coli” PIs: Prof. Ines Mandić-Mulec and Assist. Prof. Andreja Ramšak
Journal articles (published):
- Lavric M, Miranda-García MA, Holzinger D, Foell D, Wittkowski H. “Alarmins firing arthritis: Helpful diagnostic tools and promising therapeutic targets.” Joint Bone Spine. 2016 Sep 19. pii: S1297-319X(16)30127-0. doi:10.1016/j.jbspin.2016.06.010. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 27659403.
- Gohar F, Kessel C, Lavric M, Holzinger D, Foell D. “Review of biomarkers in systemic juvenile idiopathic arthritis: Helpful tools or just playing tricks?” Arthritis Res Ther. 2016 Jul 13;18:163. doi: 10.1186/s13075-016-1069-z. PubMed PMID: 27411444; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC4944486.
- Cypers H, Varkas G, Beeckman S, Debusschere K, Vogl T, Roth J, Drennan MB, Lavric M, Foell D, Cuvelier CA, De Vos M, Delanghe J, Van den Bosch F, Elewaut D. “Elevated calprotectin levels reveal bowel inflammation in spondyloarthritis.” Ann Rheum Dis. 2015 Dec 23. pii: annrheumdis-2015-208025. doi: 10.1136/annrheumdis-2015-208025. [Epub ahead of print] PubMed PMID: 26698844.
- Martucciello S, Lavric M, Toth B, Korponay-Szabo I, Nadalutti C, Myrsky E, Rauhavirta T, Esposito C, Sulic AM, Sblattero D, Marzari R, Mäki M, Kaukinen K, Lindfors K, Caja S. “RhoB is associated with the anti-angiogenic effects of celiac patient transglutaminase 2-targeted autoantibodies.” J Mol Med (Berl). 2012 Jul;90(7):817-26. doi: 10.1007/s00109-011-0853-0. Epub 2012 Jan 6. Erratum in: J Mol Med (Berl). 2012 Mar;90(3):343. Boglarka, Toth [corrected to Toth, Boglarka]. PubMed PMID: 22223195.
- Di Niro R, Sulic AM, Mignone F, D'Angelo S, Bordoni R, Iacono M, Marzari R, Gaiotto T, Lavric M, Bradbury AR, Biancone L, Zevin-Sonkin D, De Bellis G, Santoro C, Sblattero D. “Rapid interactome profiling by massive sequencing.” Nucleic Acids Res. 2010 May;38(9):e110. doi: 10.1093/nar/gkq052. Epub 2010 Feb 9. PubMed PMID: 20144949; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2875021.
- Caja S, Myrsky E, Korponay-Szabo IR, Nadalutti C, Sulic AM, Lavric M, Sblattero D, Marzari R, Collighan R, Mongeot A, Griffin M, Mäki M, Kaukinen K, Lindfors K. “Inhibition of transglutaminase 2 enzymatic activity ameliorates the anti-angiogenic effects of coeliac disease autoantibodies.” Scand J Gastroenterol. 2010 Apr;45(4):421-7. doi: 10.3109/00365520903540822. PubMed PMID: 20095873.
- Bercic RL, Slavec B, Lavric M, Narat M, Zorman-Rojs O, Dovc P, Bencina D. “A survey of avian Mycoplasma species for neuraminidase enzymatic activity.” Vet Microbiol. 2008 Aug 25;130(3-4):391-7. doi: 10.1016/j.vetmic.2008.02.004. Epub 2008 Feb 15. PubMed PMID: 18372121.
- Watson M, Pérez-Alegre M, Baron MD, Delmas C, Dovc P, Duval M, Foulley JL, Garrido-Pavón JJ, Hulsegge I, Jaffrézic F, Jiménez-Marín A, Lavric M, Lê Cao KA, Marot G, Mouzaki D, Pool MH, Robert-Granié C, San Cristobal M, Tosser-Klopp G, Waddington D, de Koning DJ. “Analysis of a simulated microarray dataset: comparison of methods for data normalisation and detection of differential expression (open access publication).” Genet Sel Evol. 2007 Nov-Dec;39(6):669-83. Epub 2007 Dec 6. PubMed PMID: 18053575; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2682813.
- Jaffrézic F, de Koning DJ, Boettcher PJ, Bonnet A, Buitenhuis B, Closset R, Déjean S, Delmas C, Detilleux JC, Dovc P, Duval M, Foulley JL, Hedegaard J, Hornshøj H, Hulsegge I, Janss L, Jensen K, Jiang L, Lavric M, Lê Cao KA, Lund MS, Malinverni R, Marot G, Nie H, Petzl W, Pool MH, Robert-Granié C, San Cristobal M, van Schothorst EM, Schuberth HJ, Sørensen P, Stella A, Tosser-Klopp G, Waddington D, Watson M, Yang W, Zerbe H, Seyfert HM. “Analysis of the real EADGENE data set: comparison of methods and guidelines for data normalisation and selection of differentially expressed genes (open access publication).” Genet Sel Evol. 2007 Nov-Dec;39(6):633-50. Epub 2007 Dec 6. PubMed PMID: 18053573; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2682811.
- de Koning DJ, Jaffrézic F, Lund MS, Watson M, Channing C, Hulsegge I, Pool MH, Buitenhuis B, Hedegaard J, Hornshøj H, Jiang L, Sørensen P, Marot G, Delmas C, Lê Cao KA, San Cristobal M, Baron MD, Malinverni R, Stella A, Brunner RM, Seyfert HM, Jensen K, Mouzaki D, Waddington D, Jiménez-Marín A, Pérez-Alegre M, Pérez-Reinado E, Closset R, Detilleux JC, Dovc P, Lavric M, Nie H, Janss L. “The EADGENE Microarray Data Analysis Workshop (open access publication).” Genet Sel Evol. 2007 Nov-Dec;39(6):621-31. Epub 2007 Dec 6. PubMed PMID: 18053572; PubMed Central PMCID: PMC2682810.
- Bercic RL, Slavec B, Lavric M, Narat M, Bidovec A, Dovc P, Bencina D. “Identification of major immunogenic proteins of Mycoplasma synoviae isolates.” Vet Microbiol. 2008 Feb 5;127(1-2):147-54. Epub 2007 Jul 25. PubMed PMID: 17720337.
- Keeler CL Jr, Bliss TW, Lavric M, Maughan MN. “A functional genomics approach to the study of avian innate immunity.” Cytogenet Genome Res. 2007;117(1-4):139-45. PubMed PMID: 17675854.
- Lavric M, Maughan MN, Bliss TW, Dohms JE, Bencina D, Keeler CL Jr, Narat M. “Gene expression modulation in chicken macrophages exposed to Mycoplasma synoviae or Escherichia coli.” Vet Microbiol. 2008 Jan 1;126(1-3):111-21. Epub 2007 Jun 19. PubMed PMID: 17656046.
- Schwarz H, Schneider K, Ohnemus A, Lavric M, Kothlow S, Bauer S, Kaspers B, Staeheli P. “Chicken toll-like receptor 3 recognizes its cognate ligand when ectopically expressed in human cells.” J Interferon Cytokine Res. 2007 Feb;27(2):97-101. PubMed PMID: 17316136.
- Lavric M, Bencina D, Kothlow S, Kaspers B, Narat M. “Mycoplasma synoviae lipoprotein MSPB, the N-terminal part of VlhA haemagglutinin, induces secretion of nitric oxide, IL-6, and IL-1beta in chicken macrophages.” Vet Microbiol. 2007 Apr 15;121(3-4):278-87. Epub 2006 Dec 20. PubMed PMID: 17254721.
- Lavric M, Bencina D, Narat M. “Mycoplasma gallisepticum hemagglutinin V1hA, pyruvate dehydrogenase PdhA, lactate dehydrogenase, and elongation factor Tu share epitopes with Mycoplasma imitans homologues.” Avian Dis. 2005 Dec;49(4):507-13. PubMed PMID: 16404991.
- Lavric M, Ramsak A. “Izolacija mikrosatelitnih markerjev z metodo FIASCO = Isolation of microsatellite markers by FIASCO method.” Zbornik Biotehniške fakultete Univerze v Ljubljani, Kmetijstvo, Zootehnika, Agricultural issue, Zootechnica, 2002, vol. 80, No. 2, p. 203- 211.
Journal articles (submitted):
- Amrit C, Paauw T, Aly R, Lavric M. “Using text mining and machine learning for detection of child abuse”. arXiv preprint arXiv:1611.03660. 2016. Submitted.
Journal articles (in preparation):
- Lavric M, Brueckner M, de Roock S, de Ganck A, Beckers A, Daebritz J, Vandesompele J, Foell D. “Multiplex markers for therapy intervention prediction in inflammatory bowel disease.” In preparation.
- Lavric M, Amrit C, van den Bekerom B. “Using Machine Learning for Detection of Autism Spectrum Disorder.” In preparation.
- Member, Microbiology Student Society of Slovenia (DSMBS) (1997-2007)
- Member, Slovenian Microbiological Society (SMD) (2002-)
- Member, Slovenian Biochemical Society (SBD) (2003-)
- Member, Fulbright International Exchange Alumni (2006-)
- Member, Paediatric Rheumatology European Association (PReS) (2013-)
- Member, Dutch research school for Information and Knowledge Systems (SIKS) (2016-)
- TRACKS (Transglutaminases: role in pathogenesis, diagnosis, and therapy) (2008-2009)
- AID-NET (Autoinflammatory disorders in children: Genetics, disease mechanisms, diagnostic markers, and therapeutic targets) (2012-)
- ICON (ICON: Inception Cohort of Newly Diagnosed Patients with Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis (JIA)) (2013-)
- MIAMI (Monitoring Innate Immunity in Arthritis and Mucosal Inflammation) (2013-2016)
ETL Data Researcher (part-time) @ Medical Research Data Management B.V (MRDM), Deventer