PROF. DR. M. JUNGER
University of Twente
Faculty of Behavioural Management and Social Sciences
Dep. Industrial Engineering and Business Information Systems
P.O. Box 217
7500 AE Enschede
Room: RA 3351(Ravelijn)
Tel: (+31 53 489)3207
My professional positions have been: researcher from 1981 at WODC of the Ministry of Justice, senior researcher from 1992 at NSCR, from 2000 at the Department of Developmental Psychology of University of Utrecht, from 2001 on combined with part time professorship at the Department of Education at Amsterdam University, from 2008 I work at University of Twente as full professor of Social Safety Studies and from 2013 as professor of Cyber Security and Business Continuity. My full curriculum vitae can be requested by email. I have worked short periods at University of Southern California, USA and the University de Montreal, Quebec, Canada.
I have broad research interests. I have been involved for a long time in studies on childhood aggression and child and adolescent risk behaviour. The purpose of these studies was the development of evidence based interventions.
Currently my focus is mainly on Information Security, Cyber-crime Science and Crime Science. I investigate human behaviour in cyberspace. What are the factors that lead to vulnerability for phishing, why do users comply or not comply to safety rules? The aim is to help users against phishing and to increase compliance. In my research I collaborate a lot with computer scientists.
- SEcurity RequIrements for seriOUS apps - (SERIOUS)
Funded by: NWO
Duration: January 2015 until January 2019
With Prof.Dr. P.H. Hartel (Pieter)
- TREsPASS: Technology-supported Risk Estimation by Predictive Assessment of Socio-technical Security. EU-Large-scale integrating project,
Consortium, principal investigator: prof Hartel.
- Modus operandi: the influence of modern media (ICT, mobile phones) on ‘traditional crime’ (Invloed van de moderne media (ICT, mobiele telefoons) op de 'traditionele' misdrijven).
With Prof.Dr. P.H. Hartel (Pieter)
- Minor Cybercrime and Cyber Security.
- With Prof. Dr. Rainer Böhme (University of Innsbruck, Austria)
- Westfälische Wilhelms-Universität Münster (WWU Münster)
- Cyber-crime Science in the Security 3TU master of Information Security.
- Abrahamse, M. E., Junger, M., van Wouwe, M. A., Boer, F., & Lindauer, R. J. (2016). Treating child disruptive behavior in high-risk families: A comparative effectiveness trial from a community-based implementation. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 25(5), 1605-1622.
- Abrahamse, M. E., Niec, L. N., Junger, M., Boer, F., & Lindauer, R. J. L. (2016). Risk factors for attrition from an evidence-based parenting program: Findings from the Netherlands. Children and Youth Services Review, 64, 42-50. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.childyouth.2016.02.025.
- Bullee, J.-W., Montoya, L., Junger, M., & Hartel, P. (2016, 14-15 Jan 2016). Telephone-based social engineering attacks: An experiment testing the success and time decay of an intervention. Paper presented at the Cyber Security R&D Conference (SG-CRC) 2016, Singapore.
- Jansen, A. M., Giebels, E., Rompay, T. J., Austrup, S., & Junger, M. (2016). Order and control in the environment: Exploring the effects on undesired behaviour and the importance of locus of control. Legal and criminological psychology. doi:10.1111/lcrp.12095
- Junger, M. (2016). Social engineering & Cyber security. Security Lancaster. University of Lancaster. Lancaster, UK.
- Junger, M. (2016, June 20, 2016). Social engineering & Cyber security. Paper presented at the Summer School on Social Aspects of Cyber Security Risk, Royal Holloway, University of London, London, UK. J
- Junger, M., Montoya Morales, A. L., & Overink, F.-J. (2016). Priming and warnings are not effective to prevent social engineering attacks. Paper presented at the Environmental Criminology and Crime Analysis (ECCA), Munster, Germany.
- Junger, M., Montoya Morales, A. L., & Overink, F.-J. (2017). Priming and warnings are not effective to prevent social engineering attacks. Computers in Human Behavior, 66, 75-87. Retrieved from http://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S0747563216306392.
- Meldrum, R. C., Verhoeven, M., Junger, M., Van Aken, C., Van Aken, M. A., & Deković, M. (2016). Parental Self-Control and the Development of Male Aggression in Early Childhood: A Longitudinal Test of Self-Control Theory. International Journal of Offender Therapy and Comparative Criminology. doi:10.1177/0306624X16662921.
- Wachs, S., Jiskrova, G. K., Vazsonyi, A. T., Wolf, K. D., & Junger, M. (2016). A cross-national study of direct and indirect effects of cyberbullying on cybergrooming victimization via self-esteem. Psicologia educativa.
- Abrahamse, M., Junger, M., van Wouwe, M. M. M., Boer, F., & Lindauer, R. L. (2015). Treating Child Disruptive Behavior in High-Risk Families: A Comparative Effectiveness Trial from a Community-Based Implementation. Journal of Child and Family Studies, 1-18. doi:10.1007/s10826-015-0322-4.
- Wachs, S., et al. (2015). "Traditional, Cyber and Combined Bullying Roles: Differences in Risky Online and Offline Activities." Societies 5(1): 109-135.
- Klein Velderman, M., Dusseldorp, E., van Nieuwenhuijzen, M., Junger, M., Paulussen, T. G., & Reijneveld, S. A. (2015). Cultural, social and intrapersonal factors associated with clusters of co-occurring health-related behaviours among adolescents. The European Journal of Public Health, 25(1), 31-37. (IF=2.6)
- Bullée, J.-W., et al. (2015). "The persuasion and security awareness experiment: reducing the success of social engineering attacks." Journal of Experimental Criminology: 1-19. (IF=1.8)
- Abrahamse, M. E., Junger, M., Leijten, P. H., Lindeboom, R., Boer, F., & Lindauer, R. J. (2015). Psychometric Properties of the Dutch Eyberg Child Behavior Inventory (ECBI) in a Community Sample and a Multi-Ethnic Clinical Sample. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 1-13. (IF=1.8)
- Montoya, L., Junger, M., & Ongena, Y. P. (in press). The relation between residential property and its surroundings and day and night-time residential burglary. Environment & Behavior. IF=2.01
- Klein Velderman, M., E. Dusseldorp, M. van Nieuwenhuijzen, M. Junger, T. G. W. M. Paulussen and S. A. Reijneveld (2014). "Cultural, social and intrapersonal factors associated with clusters of co-occurring health-related behaviours among adolescents." The European Journal of Public Health. IF=2.5
- Dusseldorp, Elise, Velderman, Mariska Klein, Paulussen, Theo W.G.M., Junger, Marianne, Nieuwenhuijzen, Maroesjka van, & Reijneveld, Sijmen A. (2014 ). Targets for Primary Prevention: Cultural, Social and Intrapersonal Factors Associated with Co-occurring Health-related Behaviours. Psychology and Health. IF=2
- Schaff, G., Harpes, C., Aubigny, M., Junger, M., & Martin, R. (2014). RISK-DET: ICT Security Awareness Aspect Combining Education and Cognitive Sciences.
- Feder, Lynette, & Junger, Marianne. (2013). Pre & Postnatal Preventive Interventions Based on Risk Factors. In G. Bruinsma & D. Weisburd (Eds.), Encyclopedia of criminology and criminal justice (ECCJ) (pp. 3895-3905). New York: Springer Verlag.
- Schaff, Guillaume, Harpes, Carlo, Martin, Romain, & Junger, Marianne. (2013, October 27 - November 1, 2013). An application to estimate the Cyber-risk Detection Skill of mobile device users. Paper presented at the The Sixth International Conference on Advances in Human oriented and Personalized Mechanisms, Technologies, and Services, CENTRIC 2013, Venice, Italy.
- Montoya, Lorena, Junger, Marianne, & Hartel, Pieter. (2013). How ‘Digital’ is Traditional Crime? European Intelligence and Security Informatics Conference (EISIC) 2013, 31-37. http://ieeexplore.ieee.org/search/searchresult.jsp?newsearch=true&queryText=how+digital+is+traditional+crime%2C+montoya&x=-1280&y=-331
- Lastdrager, E., Montoya, L., Hartel, P., & Junger, M. (2013). Applying the Lost-Letter Technique to Assess IT Risk Behaviour. Paper presented at the 3rd Workshop on Socio-Technical Aspects in Security and Trust (STAST), New Orleans, USA.
- Junger, M., Greene, J., Schipper, R., Hesper, F., & Estourgie, V. (2013). Parental Criminality, Family Violence and Intergenerational Transmission of Crime Within a Birth Cohort. European Journal on Criminal Policy and Research, 1-17. doi: 10.1007/s10610-012-9193-z [Impact Factor 0.6]
- Steketee, M., Junger, M., & Junger-Tas, J. (2013). Sex Differences in the Predictors of Juvenile Delinquency: Females Are More Susceptible to Poor Environments; Males Are Influenced More by Low Self-Control. Journal of Contemporary Criminal Justice. doi: 10.1177/1043986212470888 [Impact Factor 0.13]
- Steketee, Majone, Junger, Marianne, & Junger-Tas, Josine. (2013). Jeugdcriminaliteit, het verschil tussen meisjes en jongens. In Anne-Marie Slotboom, Machteld Hoeve, Menno Ezinga & Peer van der Helm (Eds.), Criminele meisjes en vrouwen. Achtergronden en aanpak (pp. 351-380). Den Haag, Nl.: Boom Lemma.
- Junger, M., Japel, C., Coté, S., Xu, Q., Boivin, M., & Tremblay, R. (2012). Smoking and Medication During Pregnancy Predict Repeated Unintentional Injuries in Early Childhood But Not Single Unintentional Injuries. Prevention Science, 14, 13-24. doi: 10.1007/s11121-012-0304-3 available at; http://doc.utwente.nl/82515/1/Junger12smoking.pdf [Impact Factor 2.6]
- Junger, M., Laycock, G., Hartel, P., & Ratcliffe, J. (2012). Crime science: editorial statement. Crime science, 1, 1-3.
- Reijneveld S. A., van Nieuwenhuijzen, M., M. Junger., M. Klein Velderman, K. H. Wiefferink, T. W.G.M. Paulussen, J. Hox. Clustering of risky health behaviour in immigrants and non-immigrants in the Netherlands. Send to International Journal of Public Health. Vol 57, 351-361 [impact factor 2.4]
- Abrahamse, M. E., Junger, M., Chavannes, E. L., Coelman, F. J. G., Boer, F., & Lindauer, R. J. L. (2012). Parent–child interaction therapy for preschool children with disruptive behaviour problems in the Netherlands. Child Adolesc Psychiatry Ment Health, 6. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3403961/
- Abrahamse, M. E., Junger, M., & Lindauer, R. The effectiveness of parent–child interaction therapy in the Netherlands: Preliminary results of a randomized controlled trial
- Neuropsychiatrie de l'Enfance et de l'Adolescence 60 (5), S882011
- Lorena Montoy,Yfke Oneva, Marianne Junger (2011). Der Einfluss von Bebauung und Nachbarschaft auf das Einbruchrisiko.Polizei & WissenschaftThemen Einbruch.43-57.
- Junger, M., & Kampen, M. v. (2010). Cognitive ability and self-control in relation to dietary habits, physical activity and bodyweight in adolescents. International Journal of Behavioral Nutrition and Physical Activity (IJBNPA), 7(22). [Impact Factor 2.6]
- Marjolein Verhoeven, Marianne Junger, Chantal van Aken, Maja Deković and Marcel A.G. van Aken (2010) Parenting and children's externalizing behavior: Bidirectionality during toddlerhood. Journal of Applied Developmental Psychology. 31 (1): 93-105 [Impact Factor 1.8]
- Verhoeven, M., Junger, M., Aken, C. V., Dekovic, M., & Aken, M. A. G. V. "Mothering, Fathering, and Externalizing Behavior in Toddler Boys. Journal of Marriage and Family, 72 (2): 307 – 317. [Impact Factor 1.6]
- van Nieuwenhuijzen, M., Junger, M., Velderman, M. K., Wiefferink, K. H., Paulussen, T. W. G. M., Hox, J., et al. (2009). Clustering of health-compromising behavior and delinquency in adolescents and adults in the Dutch population. Preventive Medicine, 48(6), 572-578. [Impact Factor 2.3]
- Junger-Tas, J., & Junger, M. (2009). The Dutch criminological enterprise. In M. Tonry & C. Bijleveld (Eds.), Crime and Justice in the Netherlands (Vol. 35, pp. 115-162). Chicago: University of Chicago Press. [impact factor: 2.6 in 2005]
- Abrahamse, M. E. (2009, October 2nd, 2009). A pilot study of Parent-Child Interaction Therapy in de Netherlands. Paper presented at the 9th Annual Parent-Child Interaction Therapy Conference, Traverse City, Michigan, United States.
- Nóra Szabó Maja Deković Chantal van Aken, Marjolein Verhoeven, Marcel A.G. van Aken and Marianne Junger (2008) The relations among child negative interactive behavior, child temperament, and maternal behavior. Early Childhood Research Quarterly. Volume 23, Issue 3, 2008, 366-377. [impact factor: .95 in 2006]
- Chantal van Aken, Marianne Junger, Marjolein Verhoeven, Marcel.A.G. van Aken and Maja Deković (2008) The longitudinal relations between parenting and toddlers attention problems and aggressive behaviors. Infant Behavior and Development. Volume 31, 3, 432-446.
- American Society of Criminology (ASC)
- Environmental Crime and Crime Analysis (ECCA)
REVIEW AND EDITORIAL WORK
- Associate editor of ‘Crime Science’ at Springer New York, together with prof. Hartel (UT) and Prof. Laycock (University College London, U.K.) en Prof. Ratcliffe (Temple University, U.S.A.).
- Member Editorial board of Victims and Offenders: An International Journal of Evidence-based Research, Policy, and Practice.
- Reviewer ad hoc for a series of journals.