Ass.-Prof. Dr. Dr. Elfi Furtmueller
University of Twente
School of Management and Governance
Change Management & Organizational Behaviour
Ravelijn 2236, P.O. Box 217
7500 AE Enschede, the Netherlands
Since 2012 Elfi Furtmueller has been leading an internet services research project subsidized by the Austrian Science Fund. In her research, Elfi collaborates closely with faculty from Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand, University of Twente, the Netherlands and University of Innsbruck, Austria.
Elfi has been an Assistant Professor at the University of Twente, the Netherlands (2007-2012) and Researcher at the Haas School of Business at the University of California, Berkeley (2005-2006). At the University of Twente, she has been teaching in the MSc. Service Management and Information Management program since 2007, as well as supervising Bachelor, Master and Ph.D students. Recently, she taught a large Bachelor-level course on the Foundations of e-Commerce & Social Media at Victoria University of Wellington, New Zealand.
Previously, she has worked as researcher in various Austrian Research Promotion Agency projects on semantic technologies for internet services, and studied at the University of Charleston in the United States.
She obtained a Ph.D. in Business Administration (summa cum laude) from the University of Linz, Austria and earned a second Ph.D. in Information Systems from the University of Twente, the Netherlands. Elfi has a Master’s degree in Business Administration with specialization in Marketing, Entrepreneurship and International Management (summa cum laude) and a Master’s degree in Education (summa cum laude).
Furtmueller’s research interests span both applied and fundamental research areas in internet services and business, e-commerce, human resources and entrepreneurship. Currently, she studies service (re)design requirements for online user bonding, reconceptualization of e-service quality, HRM & Technology and sustainable information systems.
Elfi is on the Editorial Board of the British Journal of Management and the International Journal of Computing and Social Networks. Her research has appeared in various international journals such as the Journal of Service Management, Journal of Management Inquiry, European Journal of Information Systems, International Journal of Information Management, Communications of the Association for Information Systems, European Journal of International Management, Human Systems Management, Team Performance Management, European Journal of Management, Advances in Consumer Research and Lecture Notes in Business Information Processing.
She has been invited to present her research at leading international universities such as Oxford University, Harvard, Berkeley and MIT.
She has co-founded the Austrian Management Center with offices in Vienna and Linz. Her focus in this business is on developing and managing Continuing Education (Executive MBA) programs.
Elfi has also gained professional experience in Human Resource Management and Services Marketing at Siemens (1 year in the USA and 2.5 years in Austria), and at the National Bank of Upper Austria. She has volunteered for various non-profit organizations such as the Red Cross and AmeriCorps.
- Internet services and start-up’s
- ICT service management
- e-Commerce, e-Learning, e-Service quality
- Customer commitment, retention, identification
- HRM, Services &Technology
Ph.D in Information Systems
University of Twente, the Netherlands
Department of Information Systems & Change Management
Ph.D in Business Administration (summa cum laude)
University of Linz, Austria
Department of Organization & Innovation
Master in Education-Coaching-Training (summa cum laude)
Joseph Schumpeter School of Business, Austria
Master in Business Administration (summa cum laude)
Specialized in International Management
Marketing, Entrepreneurship and HRM
University of Linz, Austria
International study year and Master thesis (high honor student)
University of Charleston, USA
Department of Management & Entrepreneurship
High honor student. Business School GPA 4.0 (scale 1.0-4.0)
Senior Researcher (Principal Investigator)
Austrian Science Funds, Austria
Interdisciplinary research project with faculty from the Victoria University of Wellington, N.Z., University of Twente, the Netherlands und University of Innsbruck, Austria
University of Twente, the Netherlands
Information Systems & Change Management
Austrian Management Center, Austria
Marketing, management and curriculum design for postgraduate and continuing education study programs. Google Trends, Analytics, Adwords and newsletter campaign management.
Internet start-up planning, implementation, marketing, Austria
Relationship management with marketing managers, directors, study directors, secretaries and alumni associations at all Austrian Higher Technical Colleges (HTL’s), Business Colleges (HAK’s) and University of Applied Sciences (FH’s) www.absolventen.at
University of California, Berkeley, USA
Haas School of Business
Institute of Management, Innovation & Organization
Elected in AmeriCorps Leaders Program as Campus Coordinator for Disabled Students (900 Students)
Human Resource Management Assistant
Siemens, Philadelphia, USA
Master thesis research student
University of Charleston, USA
Department of Management & Entrepreneurship
Marketing & Public Relations Coordinator
Mentor, tutor and student counseling
Austrian National Student Union
Part time jobs during school and studies
- Internships at Bank of Upper Austria
Red Cross Germany fundraising
- Au-pair in London
- Telephone marketing operator and market research
- Administrative office duties
- Public relations and campaign management
- Teaching school children
- Service and kitchen support in restaurants and cafés
Farmer’s and Christmas market sales agent
- Kindergarden internships
- Farming and agriculture experience
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECT (2012-2015)
Austrian Science Funds (FWF), Senior Researcher and Marie-Curie Fellow at the Victoria University of Wellington, NZ; University of Twente, the Netherlands and University of Innsbruck, Austria.
In my current research, I aim to develop an explanatory model to better understand user bonding mechanisms on e-career portals. Most studies to date view continued use of information systems as an extension of acceptance behaviors (i.e., they employ the same set of pre-acceptance variables to explain both acceptance and committed usage), implicitly assuming that continued usage covaries with acceptance. Accordingly, research is needed to explain why some internet users discontinue using an online service after accepting it initially (the acceptance-discontinuance anomaly).
There is at present scant research that elaborates upon applicants’ and recruiters’ psychological motivations emerging after their initial acceptance of e-career sites. Accordingly, my research concentrates on antecedents of sustainable use. Studying committed long-term bonds is not only important in the context of career sites. Many other internet services such as banking, tourism and retailing can benefit from such knowledge.
Elfi co-founded the Austrian Management Center www.amc.or.at with offices in Linz and Vienna which coordinates marketing activities, student counselling and placements for Continuing Education study programs. Elfi is also active in curriculum development and e-learning course design. In the past three years, their team placed more than 2.000 students in various Master programs (MBA, EMBA, MFP, MPA and other Executive Programs).
OPEN SOURCE JOB BOARD TECHNOLOGY
I am part of an Austrian software developer team based in Vienna. Our passion is to develop innovative job board technology and improve customer services. We develop scalable, easy-to-use hosted job boards for publishers and magazines, regional job boards, professional associations and niche markets. As contributors to the Open Source system Drupal, our team is dedicated to actively engaging with the community.
Here you find more info about our team www.epiqo.com
Do you want your own job board? Happy to share our HR-solutions with you firstname.lastname@example.org
Some examples of the various faces of our job board technology:
- www.rent-a-rentner.at (conceptual phase)
British Journal of Management
International Journal of Computing and Social Networks
REFEREE FOR ACADEMIC JOURNALS
Journal of Service Management, Journal of Management Information Systems, Journal of Organizational Change Management, European Journal of Information Systems, Communications of the Association for Information Systems, International Journal of Human Resource Management, Journal of Electronic Commerce Research, Creativity and Innovation Management, Team Performance Management, Personnel Review, International Journal of Management Practice, Journal of Management Development.
REFEREE FOR CONFERENCES
Academy of Management, European Academy of Management, International Conference on Information Systems, European Conference on Information Systems, International Conference on Enterprise Information Systems, Association of Internet Researcher.
COMMUNICATIONS OF THE ASSOCIATION FOR INFORMATION SYSTEMS
2014 Call for Papers: Special Section on the Literature Review in Information Systems Research.
Submissions to the special section will be handled through the CAIS Manuscript Central review system. We specifically invite submissions in the following areas:
- Perspectives, methods, approaches or practices for conducting or presenting research literature. These may include, but are not limited to: hermeneutics, soft systems analysis, grounded theory, historical perspectives, revisionist approaches, ontologies, stylized facts, case surveys, or other novel perspectives and methods.
- Tutorials related to Literature Reviews in IS, for example, tutorials in conducting meta-analysis, Bayesian analysis, or other tool support.
- Workshop and Panel discussions and proceedings related to Literature Reviews in IS.
2013 DOING LITERATURE REVIEWS IN INFORMATION SYSTEMS
Workshop at the European Conference on Information Systems
June 5, 2013, University of Utrecht, the Netherlands
Organizers: Mary Tate, Elfi Furtmueller, Joerg Evermann & Wasana Bandara
- Research Design and Methods
- Foundations of e-Commerce & Social Media
- Managing Service Organizations
- Master class Service Management
- Master class Information Management
- Introduction to Human Resource Management
- Organizational Behaviour
- Business Model Design for Internet start-up’s
- Workshops: Paper Development Workshop, Ph.D Student Workshop, Literature Review Workshop, Qualitative Research Workshop, Research Design Workshop.
- Academy of Management
- European Academy of Management
- Association of Internet Researcher
- Association for Information Systems
- Marie-Curie Fellows Association
BACHELOR, MASTER and Ph.D PROJECT GUIDANCE
Supervised more than 40 Bachelor/Master students and several Ph.D students in Business Administration (HRM/ OB, Service Management and Marketing) and Information Systems.
Examples of finished research projects
- How to use consumer care to create brand ambassadors? - Philips
- Implementation of e-Recruitment: Lessons learned - KLM Royal Dutch Airlines
- Demand-based learning in higher education from an organizational perspective – KPMG
- Determining impact of IT implementations using survey feedback – Sogeti
- Antecedents, correlates and consequences of e-HRM successes and failures: a meta-analysis, Mitopics IT Consulting.
- Effectively managing service encounters in the Dutch automotive industry - Huiskes-Kokkeler
- Organizational attraction, recruitment and retention of IT graduates
- Retention factors of IT professionals: How to keep IT professionals
- Service innovation in e-tourism
- Op weg naar serviceoptimalisatie binnen de NS: afdeling service management
- Do employees behave differently in public- vs. private-sector organizations? A state of the art review
- Factors of e-service quality on e-recruiting sites taking into consideration applicants’ and recruiters’ needs
- New approaches for dynamic information extraction form job advertisings
- A semi-automatic focused crawler for the human resource domain
- Dynamic ontology building using wikipedia and wordnet
- Using GATE for classification of job advertisings
- Irritations in e-Recruiting design
- Socio-technical e-human resource management requirements
- Collaborative ontology development for the human resource domain
- Testing and evaluation of open source screen scraping tools
- Usability study on Dutch e-recruiting services: limitations and possibilities from the applicants’ perspective
- Supplier and client perception of the business information management department at ING
- A conceptual e-service quality model for career sites
- Reflecting on e-recruiting research using grounded theory
- Employer branding strategies of the top 100 Dutch employers
- Features on e-recruiting sites: applicants’ perspective
- Requirements of online resumes
- Product and service innovation in e-recruiting
- E-Recruiting research: future research directions
Master theses in German language
- Akademische Weiterbildung in Österreich: Stand und Aussicht im Hinblick auf die Gesetzesnovellierung zur akademischen Weiterbildung mit Ende 2012
- Zusammenlegung der Polizei und Gendarmarie in Österreich: Herausforderungen an Führungskräfte
- Tourismusproblematik im Burgenland: Abwanderung Jugendlicher
- Herausforderungen bei der Implementierung von Mediation im öffentlichen Dienst
- Wechselgründe von Mitarbeitern innerhalb der Finanzdienstleistungsbranche
- Kommunikation und Public Relations in Krankenhäusern
- Innovationsprozesse mit Lead Usern: Eine Untersuchung von Internet Karriereportalen
- Identifikation der Motive von Studieninteressenten mit Schwerpunkt auf berufsbegleitende Fernstudiengänge