Since January 2017, I am Assistant Professor at the CM&OB research group. CM&OB fits well with my professional research and consulting expertise and aims to make a societal impact.
I originally came to the University of Twente because of its entrepreneurial and societal focus. During my Bachelor Communication Science and Master Business Administration, I discovered the joy of bridging the gap between theory and practice by doing practically-relevant academic research. In my research I typically bridge the fields of Operations Management and Organizational Behaviour in a variety of ways.
In 2015, I completed my part-time Ph.D. research (Cum Laude) at the UT. My dissertation, entitled "Improving Lean Team Performance: Leadership and Workfloor Dynamics," won the Overijssel PhD Award 2016 and the international 2015 Emerald/EFMD Outstanding Doctoral Research Award in the Operations and Production Management category.
During ten years, I also worked at House of Performance: a management consultancy firm aimed at improving work floor performance. Here, I specialized in process improvement, strategy execution, change management, team-effectiveness, and (Lean) leadership development in large Dutch organizations. In 2017 I also headed their Research & Development.
Besides academic publishing, teaching, and management consulting, I frequently share my insights through my weblog, YouTube, Twitter, LinkedIn and conference presentations or workshops.
- Lean/Continuous Improvement/Agile Operations
- Effective Leaders’ and Followers’ Work Values and Behaviors
- Highly Performing Work Teams
- Industry 4.0 & Human Factors
- Supply Chain Culture
- Organizational Change Programs
- Leadership Development and Management Consulting
- Longitudinal, Multi-level Study of Work Values and Behaviors of Lean Leaders and their Work Teams
- Lean, Leadership and Employee Engagement in Health Care
- Team Psychological Safety in Health Care
- Industry 4.0 and Lean
- Industry 4.0 and Change Leadership
- Supply Chain Performance and Organizational Culture
- Mixed-methods Study of the Values and Behaviors of Highly Effective Lean Middle Managers
- Systematic Literature Review of the Enablers and Dynamics of Lean Team Cultures and Climates;
- Longitudinal, Mixed-methods study of Lean Work Team Performance and Multi-level Behaviors (Higher-level Leaders, Team Leaders, and Team Members)
- Survey of the Team Leader Values, Work Team Behavior, and Lean-team Effectiveness
- Processes of Change BSc Honours Track – coordinator and lecturer of the courses: Change at the Individual Level, Consulting & Coaching, and Learning by Doing
- Change Leaders MSc Honours Track – lecturer
- Business Administration MSc – lecturer and coordinator of the course Change Management & Consulting in a Global Context
- Executive education, including Master of Public Management and Master of Risk Management
Besides supervising Bachelor and Master theses, I am currently the daily supervisor of the following five PhD students:
- Amy Tan Bee Choo (ongoing). Innovation Readiness. With Prof. dr. Celeste Wilderom.
- José Franken (ongoing). Problem Solving Teams and Personality Types. With Prof. dr. Celeste Wilderom.
- Nienke de Rooy (ongoing). Employee Happiness. With Prof. dr. Celeste Wilderom.
- Floor Slagter (ongoing). Leadership and Strategic Alignment. With. Prof. dr. Dirk van Dierendonck, Rotterdam School of Management.
- Sjoerd Hogenbirk (ongoing). Leadership and Ethical Behavior. With Prof. dr. Muël Kaptein, Rotterdam School of Management.
2017 | Shingo Research Award for the edited collection The Routledge Companion to Lean Management to which I contributed chapter 10 “Lean Teams”
2016 | Overijssel PhD Award (Best PhD dissertation of the University of Twente)
2016 | Selected as the best PhD thesis of the academic year 2015-2016 of the Faculty of Behavioural, Management and Social Sciences, UT, the Netherlands
2015 | Emerald/EFMD Outstanding Doctoral Research Award in the Operations and Production Management category
2015 | Best Student Paper Award in the Operations Management Division of the Annual Academy of Management Meeting, Vancouver, Canada. Paper title: Governing Highly Performing Lean Team Behaviors: A Mixed-Methods Longitudinal Study
2010 | Runner-up Best Student Paper Award, Operations Management Division of the Annual Academy of Management Meeting, Montréal, Canada. Paper title: What are the Values and Behaviors of Effective Lean Leaders?
2007 | Best Research Presentation Award, Bi-annual student conference for Communication Science, University of Twente, the Netherlands
EurOMA conference reviewer for the conference held in 2018
Communications Coordinator and Board Member of the Operations & Supply Chain Management Division, Academy of Management, USA
Chairwoman Honours Educational Quality Committee, UT (since March 2018)
Board Member of the Faculty Club Foundation, UT
Guest lecturer at Federal University of Santa Catharina, Brazil
DesignLab Research Fellow, DesignLab, UT
Lecturer at Sioo, the Netherlands.
Three guest lectures at the Universitas Sebelas Maret, Surakarta, Indonesia.
Guest lecturer at the Singapore University of Technology and Design, Singapore.
European Management Journal, Reviewer
Academy of Management Annual Meeting reviewer for the Meetings held in 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017 and 2018
Reviewer for several journals, including International Journal of Productivity and Performance Management and Journal of Management Inquiry
- Academy of Management (divisions: Operations & Supply Chain Management, Organizational Behavior, Organizational Development and Change, Management Consulting)
- European Operations Management Association (EurOMA)
- International Society for the Study of Work and Organizational Values (ISSWOV)
Van Dun, D. H., Hicks, J. N., Wilderom, C. P. M. (2017). Values and Behaviors of Effective Lean Managers: Mixed-methods Exploratory Research. European Management Journal (35), 2, p. 174-186.
Van Dun, D. H., Wilderom, C. P. M. (2016). Lean-Team Effectiveness through Leader Values and Members’ Informing. International Journal of Operations & Production Management (36), 11, p. 1530-1550.
Van Dun, D. H., Wilderom, C. P. M. (2016). Lean Teams. In: Netland, T. & Powell, D. The Routledge Companion to Lean Management, Routledge, ISBN: 978-1138920590, p. 106-117.
Van Dun, D. H., Wilderom, C. P. M. (2016). Lean leiderschap voor (nog) betere teamprestaties. [Lean leadership for (even) better team performance] Management Executive, Januari/Februari, p. 12-15.
Van Dun, D. H., & Wilderom, C. P. M. (2012) Human Dynamics and Enablers of Effective Lean Team Cultures and Climates. International Review of Industrial and Organizational Psychology (27), p. 115-152.
For a full list click here.
2018 | Key note at the VIII Conference on Lean Systems (2018), Brazil: Florianópolis, Brazil, June, 29
2018 | UWV Management Conference about Lean leadership. Amersfoort, June, 12.
2017 | DCMR management workshop about Lean leadership. Ridderkerk, November, 17.
2016 | Annual national ‘Lean in Health Care’ conference. LIDZ.nl, Bussum, October, 31.
2016 | e-Health convention. EMERCE and Skipr. Amsterdam, October, 4.
2015 | “Lean in de Langdurende Zorg” conference. Workshop “Lean Leadership: The Key to a Culture of Continuous Improvement” [“Lean leiderschap: De sleutel voor een cultuur van continu verbeteren”]. Leids Congres Bureau, Amersfoort, the Netherlands, September, 17.
2014 | Presentation at the “Lean in de zorg” conference at St. Elisabeth Ziekenhuis. Workshop “Are You an Effective Lean Leader?” [“Ben jij een effectieve lean leider?”]. Tilburg, the Netherlands, May, 21.
For a full list click here.
2018 | MT.nl. This is how you become a lean leader [Zó word je een lean leider]. https://www.mt.nl/management/continu-verbeteren/zo-word-lean-leider/549703
2017 | Skipr.nl. Manager, include yourself if you want to create a better organisation [Manager, kijk ook naar jezelf als je betere organisatie wil. https://www.skipr.nl/blogs/id3029-manager-kijk-ook-naar-jezelf-als-je-betere-organisatie-wil.html
2016 | Skipr.nl. Leadership in Transition [Leiderschap in Transitie]. https://www.skipr.nl/blogs/id2637-leiderschap-in-transitie.html
2013 | Van Dun, D. H. & Bruins Slot, B. Whitepaper My Team is a Top Team [Dutch version also available: “Mijn Team is Top”]. http://www.houseofperformance.nl/wp-content/uploads/WP-mijn-team-is-top-def.pdf
2013 | ManagersOnline.nl. Successful Organizational Strategy Requires Behavioral Change [Succesvolle organisatiestrategie vraagt gedragsverandering]. http://www.managersonline.nl/nieuws/13184/succesvolle-organisatiestrategie-vraagt-gedragsverandering-.html
For a full list click here.
2015 | PhD Dissertation Chapter I: Lean Leaders and their Teams: Introduction [Lean leiders en hun teams: Introductie] http://tinyurl.com/pcyq63x
2015 | PhD Dissertation Chapter II: Lean Leadership: Effective Middle Managers [Lean leiderschap: Effectieve middenmanagers] http://tinyurl.com/njvr2nc
2015 | PhD Dissertation Chapter III: Lean Teams: Dynamics and Enablers of Continuous Improvement [Lean teams: Gedrag en randvoorwaarden voor continu verbeteren] http://tinyurl.com/oghkrr6
2015 | PhD Dissertation Chapter IV: Lean Teams: Role of Higher-Level Management [Lean teams: Rol van hoger management] http://tinyurl.com/olmy6zd
2015 | PhD Dissertation Chapter V: Lean Leadership: Higher Team Effectiveness through Lean Leaders’ Values [Lean leiderschap: Effectievere teams door waarden van lean leiders] http://tinyurl.com/pu5dtgj
For a full list, including YouTube videos about Plan-Do-Check-Act; Daily Start-up Team Meetings; Gemba walks; Pull, Takt, and Flow: click here.
Head of Research and Development, House of Performance.
2008-current | Various project leader roles as a management consultant at House of Performance, projects in various sectors, including banking, insurance, government, healthcare, and public transportation.