In the bachelor's assignment, the final project of the bachelor’s programme, theory and skills acquired during your studies meet. The goal of the assignment is to comprehend and solve a complex technological or societal problem on a bachelor’s level. A research plan is drafted for the problem for which in turn a mathematical model is formulated. The model will be analysed with special attention to the implementation, verification and application of the model. The results are presented both in an (oral) presentation as well as a written report, where also people from outside the field should get an understanding of the problem and the work done on it.
After the bachelor's assignment the student can:
- formulate an assignment and a matching research plan
- find relevant literature and read and use this
- apply the knowledge gained in the study of mathematics
- relate mathematical results
- convert mathematical solutions back to the original problem
- indicate both the importance and the weaknesses of a mathematical analysis for a societal problem.
- write a report in the form of an academic paper.
- give a presentation about the assignment to classmates in the same phase of their studies
Mobility Online is a system the UT uses to register mobility of students, including graduation assignments. Before you start with your Bachelor's Assignment, you need to follow a procedure in Mobility Online. General manuals about Mobility Online can be found here.
It is your own responsibility to check Mobility Online regularly and deliver everything on time. If you are experiencing difficulties with Mobility Online or with the deliverables, contact the Centre for Educational Support (BOZ). If you have any questions about the process, please consult the bachelor coordinator.
Before the start of your project, you need to start the graduation registration in Mobility Online by choosing the standard registration. If you are going to do your research project outside the UT, you need to register for the extended registration.
- Sign-in with your UT student number and UT password.
- Fill in the Application Form.
- Make sure the Faculty, Study level and Study fields are correct.
- Start date thesis is the first day of Quartile 1B or 2B (depending on when you do your bachelor's assignment).
- Graduation date is the date of the Bachelor Conference.
- Fill in the course code.
- Fill in Title and Description (this can be changed later on).
- Fill in Courses still to be completed (which courses and when).
- After registration, you receive a confirmation of registration email including login details and a link to sign in. This link should be used to see the progress and if any actions are required.
- Log in. The next step is to download the Application Form and collect the signatures.
- Scan the Application Form and upload the file in Mobility Online under Upload Application Form to register for the Bachelor's Assignment.
- When the application is marked as approved you are allowed to start with your Bachelor's Assignment. You will receive an automatic e-mail when your application is approved.
When you are in the process of finalising your project, sign-in to Mobility Online and check if the title or committee of your Bachelor's Assignment is still correct. The assignment will be marked as finished after the thesis and the plagiarism check has been submitted to BOZ and the grade has been registered in Osiris.