The Niers Fund eHealth Voucher is awarded annually to a bachelor or master student, PhD or young alumnus (within three years after graduation) who has an innovative idea for an eHealth solution. The voucher, consisting of an amount of 5,000 euros, is made possible by the Niers Fund, a Named Fund of the University Fund Twente. The voucher is awarded in collaboration with the Department of Biomedical Signals and Systems of the University of Twente and the eHealth cluster of Roessingh Research and Development.
The aim of the voucher is to stimulate new ideas for innovative eHealth solutions. Participants can submit an idea or a prototype, with an explanation of the impact for care or patient, the goal, the operation, the technical feasibility and the expected market potential. The prize must be used by the winner as 'seed money' to further the idea. In addition to the cash prize, it will be examined - in consultation with the winner - how the UT can support the winner with hours, materials and workspace. So that the winning idea can be developed into a prototype (e.g. in the Design Lab) or the winning prototype can be evaluated and tested (supervised by a researcher).
Who is Mr. J.L.M. Niers?
Mr. J.L.M. Niers was Queen's Commissioner (CdK) from May 15 1972 to July 1 1988. Born and raised a ‘Tukker’ Niers was a teacher and lawyer in Hengelo and politically active as a KVP/CDA councilor, member of parliament and senator. He was the first deputy for the province to become Queen's Commissioner in his own province. At his request, upon his retirement as CdK, a fund was established to finance the endowed chair of Neuromuscular Control at the University of Twente. This chair was set up in collaboration with the rehabilitation center Het Roessingh in Enschede and placed with the Twente University Fund. In 2021, the Niers Fund has decided to convert the annual contribution to the chair into an eHealth Voucher to be awarded annually.
- The jury consists of the following persons:
- Nico Versteeg (voorzitter), general manager province of Overijssel
- Sabine Mulders, director-manager Roessingh Research & Development
- Boony Thio, pediatric pulmonologist and innovation ambassador MST
- Teresa Furtado Placido, innovation manager Carintreggeland
- Olga Meulenbroek, Strategic Intelligence Advisor Menzis
- Tim de Kraker, business developer Novel-T
- Mascha van der Voort, professor design engineering University of Twente
- Monique Tabak, associate professor Biomedische Signalen en Systemen University of Twente
Criteria & Subscription
To be eligible for the Niers Fund eHealth Voucher, you must meet the following conditions:
- You are a bachelor or master student or an alumnus of the University of Twente.
- Are you an alumnus? Then you may not have graduated more than three years ago.
- Are you PhD? Then you can also participate, but your idea may not be the (main) subject of your PhD research.
- The proposal must be properly explained, in which not only the technical feasibility has been considered, but also relevance and impact, relevance and acceptance in practice (High Tech Human Touch) and the 'market potential' (no 'technology push').
- Are you considering to submit a proposal, please let us know by mail asap, but no later than August 1.
- The proposals will be assessed by a jury led by Nico Versteeg on behalf of the province of Overijssel.
- The jury nominates a winner. This is formally submitted to the board of the University Fund Twente for adoption.
- Pre-registration: as soon as possible, but before August 1
- September 4: submission deadline
- week September 12 jury deliberation
- September: request further information about the number of potential winners
- October: determine the winner
- November: award ceremony during TechMed Event at the UT
Are you considering to submit a proposal, please let us know by mail asap, but no later than August 1. Send your proposal before September 5, 2022 to: Karen Wannyn (K.Wannyn@utwente.nl)