The aim of our research is to understand and control light-induced processes and their dynamics in materials with application in photocatalysis or photovoltaics, by tuning the static or dynamic nanostructure of the photoactive complex.
We use several complementary spectroscopic methods to visualize light-induced processes in real-time, such as femtosecond transient absorption (photo), time-resolved photoluminescence, infrared absorption, Raman and x-ray absorption spectroscopy. To directly connect fundamental processes to the overall performance, we perform the spectroscopy studies at in-situ conditions, enabling to understand the role of parameters such as the electrolyte composition and the applied bias potential.
- Femtosecond transient optical absorption
- Ultrafast photoluminescence using streak camera detection
- Transient x-ray absorption spectroscopy (at synchrotron facilities)
- O’Neill, D.B., Prezgot, D., Ianoul, A., Otto, C., Mul, G. & Huijser, A.,. Silver Nanocubes Coated in Ceria: Core/Shell Size Effects on Light-Induced Charge Transfer. Applied Materials and Interfaces, 2020, 12, 1, 1905-1912.
- Aphrham, S., Pan, Q., Zaccarine, S. F., Felter, K. M., Thieme, J., Van den Nieuwenhuijzen, K., Ten Elshof, J.E. and Huijser, A., Effect of water addition during preparation on the early-time photodynamics of CH3NH3PbI3 perovskite layers, ChemPhysChem, 2017, 18(23), 3320-3324.
- Pan, Q., Freitag, L., Kowacs, T., Falgenhauer, J. C., Korterik, J. P., Schlettwein, D., Browne, W.R., Pryce, M.T., Rau, S., Gonzalez, L., Vos, J.G. and Huijser, A., Peripheral ligands as electron storage reservoirs and their role in enhancement of photocatalytic hydrogen generation, Chemical Communications, 2016, 52, 9371-9374.
- Pan, Q., Mecozzi, F., Korterik, J. P., Vos, J. G., Browne, W.R. and Huijser, A, The critical role played by the catalytic moiety in the early-time photodynamics of hydrogen-generating bimetallic photocatalysts, ChemPhysChem, 2016, 17, 2654-2659.
- Kowacs, T., O'Reilly, L., Pan, Q., Huijser, A, Lang, P., Rau, S., Browne, W.R., Pryce, M.T. and Vos, J. G., Subtle changes to peripheral ligands enable high turnover numbers for photocatalytic hydrogen generation with supramolecular photocatalysts, Inorganic Chemistry, 2016, 55 (6), 2685-2690