Some of you have expressed interest in courses on specific subjects. We would like to bring to your attention the classes that are offered by the Netherlands Organisation for Scientific Research (NWO). Of course, FFNT will also offer workshops in the next year.
Best wishes, Mieke Boon (chair FFNT)
More than a 1,000 researchers have already participated in the NWO Talent Days, since we have started organizing them in 2003. Most participants clearly indicated to have a need for a follow-up, with more in-depth and personalized information. Thanks to the support of the Social Fund for the Knowledge Sector (SoFoKleS) we were able to set up equally successful NWO Talent Classes in 2005. We received a lot of positive and enthusiastic reactions from the participants, and also many requests for continuing with these NWO Talent Classes.
This year we have already had 3 masterclasses in spring. In autumn we have 3 more days to go. You are invited to participate. Here’s your chance to get professional training and advice against a reduced fee. The first masterclasses will take place on 26 September 2006.
The masterclasses take up one full day and deal with one of the following issues. The masterclasses are in Dutch, unless indicated otherwise. If you don’t speak Dutch, but would like to participate in a Dutch-spoken workshop, let us know by sending an email to email@example.com. Indicate your name, email address and workshop of choice, and the organisation will do its best to respect your wish.
- Write it Right, on writing a structured scientific article with good use of titles, graphics and technical English;
- Networking, on the do’s and don’ts of networking and the importance of a good network for your career;
- Media training, on presenting research results to media and the general public and dealing with unexpected questions;
- Funding, on writing a successful grant proposal and increasing your chances of getting selected;
- Career planning, on making your career aims clear for yourself and taking the necessary steps to achieve them;
- Creative thinking, on how you can step out of the box and find innovative solutions to take your research hurdles;
- Negotiating, on how to gain the most out of different situations and also maintain your relation with different parties.
- Impact, politics, survival, success, on exploring your situation and identifying the next steps to improve your impact and build success.
Value for money
Registration costs for the ‘NWO Talent Classes’ are low compared to other - commercial - training courses. Still, quality is guaranteed with the set up of the masterclasses. The masterclasses are supervised by professional trainers. Each expert has put together an interactive program of presentations, tests and assignments that help you find solutions for your challenges.
If you’re a researcher at PhD or postdoc level you can register for one of the masterclasses. It is not required that you previously participated in one of the Talent Days.
Place and time
The masterclasses of 2006 will take place at the NWO in The Hague on the following dates:
- 26 September
- 17 October
- 21 November
Right now you can register on www.nwo.nl/talentclasses to participate in the masterclasses. We would strongly advice you to do so soon, since the number of places available is limited and registration will be closed for fully booked masterclasses.
Detailed masterclass descriptions and information about requirements and deadlines are available on www.nwo.nl/talentclasses.