When doing an internship, BSc-thesis project or MSc-thesis project at an external organization (such as a company or institute) some formalities might need to be signed in an agreement.
Note that the University of Twente is a public institution funded by the government, therefore the aim is to publish all information resulting from a student project.
From the above it might be obvious that it is important to produce a report that can be published. Therefore make sure that that no confidential information is included in the final report. Communication about confidentiality with your host organization supervisor is essential to avoid conflicts in later stages.
Below you can find an Assignment Agreement (both available in English and Dutch) of the Faculty of Engineering Technology and some information about this agreement. Preferably use this agreement with the external organization.
The use of Confidentiality (or: Non-Disclosure) Agreements should be avoided as much as possible. Having the right to publish your report and the outcomes of your work is important for your career and your résumé, and serves as an inspiration for other students.
If the external organization insists on confidentiality, it is strongly recommended to use the Confidentiality Agreement as set up by the Faculty of Engineering Technology. This document is both available in English and Dutch.
Note that you should never sign a Confidentiality Agreement (in duplicate) offered to you by the company! When the external organization does insist on using its own (or another) Confidentiality Agreement this should always be discussed with the programme director and dean.
The procedure of signing any Confidentiality Agreement is as follows:
- UT supervisor determines whether confidentiality is acceptable.
- UT supervisor fills in the Confidentiality Agreement and sends it to the programme director.
- Programme director recommends the dean on confidentiality.
- The Confidentiality Agreement + advice by the programme director on confidentiality is sent to the faculty secretariat.
- In case of a positive advise the dean or managing director will sign the Confidentiality Agreement.
- The faculty secretariat will send copies to the student and the lecturer.
Note that if a company’s agreement is used rather than the faculty's version, this process might take longer since an extra step is involved regarding the UT lawyer who needs to check the validity of the document.