The research themes are focused on the design and analysis of the following topics and their interaction:
- Sensing: Collaborative embedded and opportunistic sensing
- Networking: Wireless and opportunistic networking
- Sensor data analytics: Spatio-temporal sensor data analytics
Most important enabling technologies that have emerged to make pervasive computing and the Internet of Things vision a reality are: wireless networking, localization, distributed systems, mobile computing, smart networked sensors, embedded platforms, sensor data analytics and reasoning, etc. They have to deal with ever-changing user requirements, environmental situations and system resources. They have to be privacy aware and secure to encourage wide use and to provide the most optimal services.
We address the following research areas:
- Computing and communications: opportunistic networks, participatory sensing, urban/mobile crowd sensing & intelligence.
- IoT systems and infrastructures: IoT platforms and services; large-scale data management for pervasive computing; clouds, and edge computing; sensor and actuator networks.
- Models and algorithms: activity recognition, context modeling and reasoning; context-aware computing, applied machine learning, convergence of IoT and Big Data.
- Trust, privacy and security: participatory and social sensing, persuasion, blockchain and smart contracts.
- Technological innovations: mobile and wearable computing systems and services, smart devices and intelligent environments; cognitive and reconfigurable hardware; positioning and tracking technologies.
- Novel applications: pervasive technologies for healthcare, sport, smart homes and buildings, smart manufacturing, smart cities, autonomous driving.