For the different dates see the sign up form on the bottom of this page.
UT students: €25 (registration fee), payable at registration. Course materials are included.
Minimum 10 and maximum 15 participants
Qualified teacher of English as a foreign Language
Provided by TCP LanguageCentre
This course is intended for students who use English in their academic studies.
This language course aims to help you develop your speaking and listening skills at an academic level. It offers you the chance to become a more fluent and accurate user of English and provides additional support to develop the academic skills necessary for studying in an English-medium academic context.
Academic English: Speaking & Listening Intermediate consists of ten weekly sessions.The Academic English course offers support in acquiring a broader range of academic English vocabulary and grammar. Participants will improve their speaking and listening skills in English. The course also addresses a wider range of academic skills, such as critical thinking and independent learning. Specific topics in Intermediate include:
- strategies to participate actively in English-spoken tutorials, e.g. interrupting, contributing, asking for clarification, presenting
- active listening strategies, e.g. note-taking, categorising information, predicting
- vocabulary learning strategies
- academic vocabulary, e.g. collocations, formal/informal language, phrasal verbs
- grammar, e.g. conjunctions, relative clauses, conditionals, tenses
- pronunciation, e.g. intonation, stress
Attendance at every session is essential. Active participation is expected. The course is held over ten weeks, with one session per week, each session lasting two hours and 15 minutes. Homework is compulsory and is expected to take approximately two hours each week. The study load for this course is roughly equivalent to 1,5 ECTS.
The Academic English: Speaking & Listening courses offered by the TCP Language Centre are offered at two different levels:
Participants are required to complete an Oxford Online Placement Test (OOPT) before being accepted for enrolment in a course.
In order to determine your level and assess which course is appropriate for you, you are required to do the Oxford Online Placement Test (OOPT). This is an online test which consists of a listening component and a grammar and vocabulary (“Use of English”) component.
- Request a token for the OOPT.
- After two business days, you will receive an e-mail with your token and instructions to access the test online. Your token will be valid for two weeks.
- Take the test (you have 60 minutes in total to complete the test).
- The test results in a Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level of language proficiency ranging from A1 to C2.
- Soon after taking the test, you will receive an e-mail from the TCP Language Centre with your results and a recommendation for a specific Academic English course.
Selected course is not available.