For the different dates see the sign up form on the bottom of this page.
UT bachelor and master’s students: €25 (NON-REFUNDABLE administration fee), payable at registration. Course materials are included.
Minimum 10 and maximum 15 participants
Qualified teacher of English as a foreign Language
Provided by TCP Language Centre
This course is intended for students who use English in their academic studies.
This language course aims to help you develop your speaking skills at an academic level.
Participants will improve their speaking skills in English. Classroom activities will consist of practical tasks and various interactive assignments that include:
- strategies to participate actively in English-spoken tutorials, e.g. interrupting, contributing, asking for clarification;
- fluency practice, e.g. role-play, discussions, presentations;
- academic vocabulary, e.g. collocations, formal/informal language, phrasal verbs;
- pronunciation, e.g. intonation, stress.
Learning will take place in an international classroom environment suited to students’ needs. The language trainer will provide instruction and feedback.
DURATION AND TIME INVESTMENT
Attendance at every session is essential. Active participation is expected. The course is held over 7 weeks, with one session of two hours per week. Homework is compulsory and is expected to take approximately two hours each week. The study load for this course is roughly equivalent to 1 ECTS.
The Academic English Speaking courses offered by the TCP Language Centre are offered at two different levels:
Participants are required to complete an Oxford Online Placement Test (OOPT) before being accepted for enrolment in a course.
In order to determine your level and assess which course is appropriate for you, you are required to do the Oxford Online Placement Test (OOPT). This is an online test which consists of a listening component as well as a grammar and vocabulary (“Use of English”) component.
- Request a token for the OOPT.
- After two business days, you will receive an e-mail with your token and instructions to access the test online. Your token will be valid for two weeks.
- Take the test (you have 60 minutes in total to complete the test).
- The test results in a Common European Framework of Reference (CEFR) level of language proficiency ranging from A1 to C2.
- Soon after taking the test, you will receive an e-mail from the TCP Language Centre with your results and a recommendation for a specific Academic English course.