This three-part course will help you:
- Understand the influence of culture on your way of perceiving, thinking and acting.
- Gain a deeper understanding of how to operate effectively in culturally diverse study and/or working contexts.
- Practice new communicative skills and explore various dilemma reconciling strategies
Nicole Kienhuis is an intercultural communications specialist with more than 10 years of experience training people in international organisations to work together respectfully and effectively. Nicole will help you develop skills for studying successfully in the Netherlands and for working in multicultural project groups during your studies and beyond by focusing on:
· Intercultural Sensitivity (different cultural logics concerning power, relationships, time, academic cultures; attention to signals), paying special attention to Dutch educational culture and what you may encounter as an international student in the Netherlands
· Intercultural Communication (styles of verbal and non-verbal communication)
· Dilemma Reconciliation (what to do when cooperation breaks down, and how to do it)
· Creating inclusion (deeper understanding of the psychological mechanisms of cultural in- and exclusion)
The course is especially useful for international students and for Dutch students working in multicultural project and study groups. It includes theory, exercises, exchange, and reflection. You set and work towards individual learning goals.
A 64 page booklet is given to you for use during and after the course.
This training consists of three sessions of three hours each. Before the start of the course you will receive a questionnaire (1 page) about individual learning aims, to be returned to the tutor. Please note that it is obligatory to participate in all sessions.