August - december; 10 ECTS
Part one: Overview of the Field in 13 Lectures: Exam
- What is communication?
- Communication models
- Introduction to communication theory
- Personal and non-verbal communication
- Theories of personal communication
- Group and organizational communication (1)
- Group and organizational communication (2)
- Theories of group and organizational communication
- Mass communication (1)
- Mass communication (2)
- New media and the integration of all levels of communication (1)
- New media (2)
- Theories of societal and mass communication.
Part two: Writing a Communication Advise: Assignment
Following an Instruction of Organizations (choice among cases) students have to write an advise containing
- a problem analysis
- a communication theory explaining the problem
- a strategy to solve it and
- a communication plan.
- F. Oomkes (2000) Communicatieleer
- Stephen Littlejohn & Karen Foss, Theories of Human Communication, Eight Edition, 2004.
Powerpoint Screens available on request: Jan.vanDijk@utwente.nl