Student support

Study adviser

University students are expected to be able to act independently and take care of most practical matters on their own. But when you’re only just starting your master, many things are probably new to you and sometimes you need some help.

You could also run into problems later on and you may find yourself wanting to talk to your study adviser. For instance when you have questions about your study programme, about studying, or about private matters that may be affecting your studies, such as:

Your study adviser can also advise you on persons or organizations within or outside the university that may be able to help you. The study adviser for Applied Physics is Carlijn van Emmerik.

Contact details

You can make an appointment with your study adviser via If you think you need more than 30 minutes to discuss your situation you should plan two consecutive appointments.
If you have short questions it is also possible to send an email.


The study adviser will make notes during the meeting with you. You are able to see these notes yourself. Notes are never shared with someone outside our faculty unless you have given permission to do so.

If you are making a formal request with the Examination Board, the study adviser will be asked for her advice. She will only share information which you have agreed upon.

The study adviser may be asked for advice if you have made a request with the Committee Personal Circumstances. She will only share information which you have agreed to.

As a member of the National Association of Study Advisers (LVSA) the study adviser will adhere to their code of conduct.

More student support within the University

For a more informal support for students a student can always ask fellow students. The Study Association Arago is a great place to meet other Applied Physics students. 

As a student of the University of Twente you can make use of the more professional help on Campus: