Ravelijn room RA 4301
MScB.P. Koirala (Binod)
PO Box 217
7500 AE Enschede
E-mail: b.p.koirala (at) utwente.nl
Telephone: +31 (0)53 489 7194
Binod was born on 30 October 1985 in Nepal where he also received his basic education. In 2005, he was awarded Nepal Aid Fund Scholarship by the government of India. He obtained Bachelor of Technology in Electrical Engineering from Malaviya National Institute of Technology Jaipur, India in 2009. With the scholarship from Rosa Luxembourg Foundation, he finished Master of Science in Renewable Energy Management from University of Freiburg in 2011. Since 2013, Binod is an Erasmus Mundus Joint Doctorate candidate in sustainable energy technologies and strategies (SETS) at Faculty of Technology, Policy and Management at TU Delft. As a part of the SETS program, he spent a year in Institute for Research in Technology, Comillas Pontifical University, Madrid. He is expected to obtain Erasmus Mundus Joint doctorate in October 2017.
Previously, Binod has worked at several organizations such as Indian Institute of Technology, Kanpur (2007), Institute for Solar Energy Technology, Kassel (2008), Fraunhofer Institute for Wind and Energy Systems, Kassel (2009) and Fraunhofer Institute of solar energy systems in Freiburg, Germany (2009 – 2013).
Binod is a postdoctoral researcher in the NWO project Community innovation for sustainable Energy: Aligning social and technical innovation. His current research interests include energy transition, energy systems integration, community energy systems, user-inspired innovation, responsible innovation and universal energy access.
- Energy Co-operatives Research Network, Germany
- Renewable Energy Policy Network for 21st Century (REN21)
- Sustainability Transitions Research Network (STRN)
- Benelux Association for Energy Economics (BAEE)
- International Association for Energy Economics (IAEE)
- Micro-hydro Practitioners Network in South and South East Asia (HPNET)
Binod is a founding member of Freiburger Nepalese Association and member of Himalaya Hilfe Freiburg, NGOs working on children education, installation of solar PV systems in rural schools and earthquake relief and reconstruction activities in Nepal. He is also a principal policy advisor at Centre for Sustainability, Policy and Technology Management in India.
- Koirala, B. P.; Koliou, E.; Friege, J.; Hakvoort, R. A.; Herder, P. M. Energetic communities for community energy: A review of key issues and trends shaping integrated community energy systems. Renew. Sustain. Energy Rev. 2016, 56, 722–744
- Koirala B, Chaves Ávila J P, Gómez T, Hakvoort R, Herder P. Local Alternative for Energy Supply: Performance Assessment of Integrated Community Energy Systems. Energies 2016;9:981
- Eid C, Bollinger LA, Koirala B, Scholten D, Facchinetti E, Lilliestam J. Market integration of local energy systems: Is local energy management compatible with European regulation for retail competition? Energy 2016;114:913–22.
- Koirala, B. P.; Araghi, Y.; Kroesen, M.; Ghorbani, A.; Hakvoort, R. A.; Herder P. Willingness to participate in integrated community energy systems, Energy Research and Social science, 2017
- Koirala, B. P.; Hakvoort, R. A. Integrated community-based energy systems: Aligning technology, incentives and regulations, Innovation & disruption at the Grid’s Edge, edited by Fereidoon Sioshansi, Academic Press, 2017, 363-387
- Koirala, B. P.; Chaves-Ávila, J. P.; Hakvoort, R. A.; Gomez, T. Assessment of integrated community energy systems. International Conference on European Energy Markets. 2016, Porto, Portugal.
- Binod Prasad Koirala, Dipti Vaghela, Mitavachan Hiremath, Raveen Kulenthran: Opportunities and Challenges of Community Energy Systems: Analysis of Community Micro-Hydro Systems in South and South-East Asia (SSEA). MES - BREG 2014: Innovating Energy Access for Remote Areas: Discovering Untapped Resources, University of California, Berkeley; 04/2014
- Jiminez A., van Somoren, C.; Koirala B.P.; Ballarin A.; Shrestha, B. Empowering sustainable communities through energy co-operatives, 5th International De-growth Conference, 2016, Budapest, Hungary
- Mavrokapnidou M.; Koirala B.P.; Hakvoort R.A.; Herder P. Interplay between storage and flexibility in the power system, International energy storage conference, 2015, Dusseldorf, Germany
- Binod Prasad Koirala, Alexander Schies, Brisa Ortiz, Tilak K. Limbu, Bhupendra Shakya: Interconnected mini-grids for rural energy transition in Nepal. Micro Perspective of Decentralized Energy Supply, Berlin; 02/2013
- Binod Prasad Koirala, Alexander Schies, Brisa Ortiz: Rural Energy Transitions: Technical, Environmental and Economic Analysis of CPV Stand-Alone Systems. Summer Academy: Energy and the Environment 2012 Proceedings, Berlin; 09/2012
- Binod Prasad Koirala, Anish Modi, Jyotirmay Mathur, Brisa Ortiz and Nashib Kafle (2011), A study on Solar Lighting System Delivery Model for Rural Areas in Developing Countries, conference proceedings of Micro Perspectives of Decentralized Energy Supply, TU Berlin, pp.268-278.
- C. Schmidt, B.Koirala, A. Madjarov, J.P. Martinez, T. Prouty, A. Drews, T. Olweya, K. Kimani, M. Mbugua, A. Alves and M. Rommel (2011). Implementation of Sustainable Solutions for a School in Kenya, Young Engineers Project, World Engineers Convention (WEC) , Geneva.
- Alexander Schies, Matthias Vetter, Jakob Wachtel, Long Yang, Binod Prasad Koirala (2011). The World’s First CPV Stand-alone System- Operating Control and Field Results, 26th European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference and Exhibitions, Hamburg, Germany, pp. 766 -769.
- Matthias Vetter, Alexander Schies, Jakob Wachtel, Binod Prasad Koirala, Inka Heile, Andreas Gombert, Fuad Abulfotuh (2010). The World’s First Stand Alone CPV System- Water Supply in Remote Areas of Egypt, 25th European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference and Exhibitions, Valencia, Spain, 2010, pp. 4903-4910.
- B. Koirala, B.Sahan, N.Henze (2009). A study on MPP Mismatch Losses in Photovoltaic Applications, 24th European Photovoltaic Solar Energy Conference and Exhibitions, Hamburg, Germany, pp. 3727-3732