Name: Bart Metselaar
Josbert M. “Bart” Metselaar (Rotterdam, July 6th 1971 ) obtained a MSc degree in Pharmaceutical Sciences in 1995 and a PharmD (Doctor of Pharmacy) degree in 1998, both at Utrecht University. During his study he completed a research internship in pharmacology and PK/PD modeling at the Dept of Pharmaceutics, University of Florida, US.
In 1999 he started his PhD at the Dept of Pharmaceutics and the Dept of Immunology Veterinary Medicine in Utrecht within the scope of a large academic research collaboration funded by the Japanese pharmaceutical company Yamanouchi (nowadays Astellas). He studied novel targeted formulations of anti-inflammatory compounds in autoimmune diseases.
After completing his Ph.D. in 2003 and a Post Doc fellowship in the same field of research in 2005, he decided to on translating his academic accomplishments into novel clinical and industrial investigational products. To this end he founded his own University spin off company Enceladus Pharmaceuticals, with which he raised significant funding over the years. This allowed the company to grow and perform its pharmaceutical, preclinical and clinical development projects.
In recent years, the company and its investigational product portfolio gradually matured, and Dr Metselaar felt that he should partly refocus on academic research again. In 2012 he took a part-time position as assistant professor in the group of Targeted Therapeutics at the University of Twente, where he works on carrier design and formulation development for advanced drug delivery, nanomedicine PK/PD, targeted therapy of experimental models of inflammation, atherosclerosis, and cancer, and imaging techniques as readout for drug targeting and therapeutic efficacy.
Dr Metselaar says: “ I enjoy being part of a multidisciplinary academic team again, where my background and experience in terms of translational aspect of academic research projects can be utilized . As a pharmacist and life science entrepreneur, I have had the chance to actually go through the entire process from academic lab scale research and production towards full GMP-compliant manufacturing and GCP-compliant clinical development. With my research and teaching I hope to draw the attention of academic students also beyond the basics of advanced drug delivery to items like intellectual property, clinical & pharmaceutical development, and marketing.”
1. Metselaar JM, Mastrobattista E, and Storm G. Liposomes for intravenous drug targeting: design and applications. Minireviews in Medicinal Chemistry 2002; 2: 319-329
2. Szebeni J, Baranyi L, Savay S, Milosevits J, Bunger R, Laverman P, Metselaar JM, Storm G, Chanan-Khan A, Liebes L, Muggia FM, Cohen R, Barenholz Y, Alving CR. Role of complement activation in hypersensitivity reactions to doxil and hynic PEG liposomes: experimental and clinical studies. J Liposome Res. 2002; 12: 165-172
3. Schmidt J, Metselaar JM, Wauben MH, Toyka KV, Storm G, Gold R. Drug targeting by long-circulating liposomal glucocorticosteroids increases therapeutic efficacy in a model of multiple sclerosis. Brain 2003; 126: 1895-1904
4. Metselaar JM, Wauben MH, Wagenaar-Hilbers JP, Boerman OC, Storm G. Complete remission of experimental arthritis by joint targeting of glucocorticoids with long-circulating liposomes. Arthritis Rheum. 2003; 48: 2059-2066
5. Metselaar JM, Bruin P, de Boer LW, de Vringer T, Snel C, Oussoren C, Wauben MH, Crommelin DJ, Storm G, Hennink WE. A novel family of L-amino acid-based biodegradable polymer-lipid conjugates for the development of long-circulating liposomes with effective drug-targeting capacity. Bioconjug Chem. 2003; 14: 1156-1164
6. Metselaar JM, van den Berg WB, Holthuysen AE, Wauben MH, Storm G, van Lent PL. Liposomal targeting of glucocorticoids to synovial lining cells strongly increases therapeutic benefit in collagen type II arthritis. Ann Rheum Dis. 2004; 63: 348-353
7. Schiffelers RM, Metselaar JM, Fens MH, Janssen AP, Molema G, Storm G. Liposome-encapsulated prednisolone phosphate inhibits growth of established tumors in mice. Neoplasia 2005; 7: 118-127
8. Romberg B, Metselaar JM, de Vringer T, Motonaga K, Kettenes-van den Bosch JJ, Oussoren C, Storm G, Hennink WE. Enzymatic degradation of liposome-grafted poly(hydroxyethyl L-glutamine). Bioconjug Chem. 2005; 16: 767-774
9. Metselaar JM, Storm G. Liposomes in the treatment of inflammatory disorders. Expert Opin Drug Deliv. 2005; 2: 465-476
10. Banciu M, Schiffelers RM, Fens MH, Metselaar JM, Storm G. Anti-angiogenic effects of liposomal prednisolone phosphate on B16 melanoma in mice. J Control Release. 2006; 12; 113: 1-8
11. Banciu M, Metselaar JM, Schiffelers RM, Storm G. Antitumor activity of liposomal prednisolone phosphate depends on the presence of functional tumor-associated macrophages in tumor tissue. Neoplasia. 2008; 10: 108-117
12. Linker RA, Weller C, Lühder F, Mohr A, Schmidt J, Knauth M, Metselaar JM, Gold R. Liposomal glucocorticosteroids in treatment of chronic autoimmune demyelination: long-term protective effects and enhanced efficacy of methylprednisolone formulations. Exp Neurol. 2008; 211: 397-406
13. Banciu M, Metselaar JM, Schiffelers RM, Storm G. Liposomal glucocorticoids as tumor-targeted anti-angiogenic nanomedicine in B16 melanoma-bearing mice. J Steroid Biochem Mol Biol. 2008; 111: 101-110
14. Hu W, Metselaar J, Ben LH, Cravens PD, Singh MP, Frohman EM, Eagar TN, Racke MK, Kieseier BC, Stüve O. PEG minocycline-liposomes ameliorate CNS autoimmune disease. PLoS One. 2009; 4: e4151
15. Coimbra M, Banciu M, Fens MH, de Smet L, Cabaj M, Metselaar JM, Storm G, Schiffelers RM. Liposomal pravastatin inhibits tumor growth by targeting cancer-related inflammation. J Control Release. 2010; 148(3): 303-310
16. Lobatto ME, Fayad ZA, Silvera S, Vucic E, Calcagno C, Mani V, Dickson SD, Nicolay K, Banciu M, Schiffelers RM, Metselaar JM, van Bloois L, Wu HS, Fallon JT, Rudd JH, Fuster V, Fisher EA, Storm G, Mulder WJ. Multimodal clinical imaging to longitudinally assess a nanomedical anti-inflammatory treatment in experimental atherosclerosis. Mol Pharm. 2010; 7: 2020-2029
17. Schweingruber N, Haine A, Tiede K, Karabinskaya A, van den Brandt J, Wüst S, Metselaar JM, Gold R, Tuckermann JP, Reichardt HM, Lühder F. Liposomal encapsulation of glucocorticoids alters their mode of action in the treatment of experimental autoimmune encephalomyelitis. J Immunol. 2011; 187: 4310-4318
18. Weller C, Zschüntzsch J, Makosch G, Metselaar JM, Klinker F, Klinge L, Liebetanz D, Schmidt J. Motor performance of young dystrophic mdx mice treated with long-circulating prednisolone liposomes. J Neurosci Res. 2012; 90: 1067-1077
19. Lobatto ME, Calcagno C, Metselaar JM, Storm G, Stroes ES, Fayad ZA, Mulder WJ. Imaging the efficacy of anti-inflammatory liposomes in a rabbit model of atherosclerosis by non-invasive imaging. Methods Enzymol. 2012; 508: 211-228
20. Van den Hoven JM, Metselaar JM, Storm G, Beijnen JH, Nuijen B. Cyclodextrin as membrane protectant in spray-drying and freeze-drying of PEGylated liposomes. Int J Pharm. 2012; 438: 209-216.