Proctoring is a supervision method for examinations that are taken online. Because of proctoring, there is no need for the physical presence of an invigilator during an exam. The proctoring tool recognizes students’ behavior and reports irregularities and instances of potential fraud. The tool records a student’s screen activity, webcam and/or audio during the exam. After the exam, these recordings can be reviewed to detect irregularities and fraud. Prior to the exam, the student identifies him- or herself with the use of their UT student card. The student will have to show the card to the webcam, so the reviewer can verify if each student is taking their own exam.
Check out general information and frequently asked questions below.
Below is a video explaining proctoring:
The University of Twente uses the tool Proctorio for proctoring. Proctorio is an add-on in a compatible browser. Prior to an exam the student installs the add-on in the browser. The software records audio and video in the room only during the exam and the student’s screen activity will also be recorded. After completion of the exam, Proctorio reports irregularities and potential fraud for each individual student, based on parameters set by the UT. Exams in which potential fraudulent behavior is detected will be analyzed by authorized personnel.
To start the exam well-prepared, it is important that you complete the steps below.
Start preparing for the exam on time, at least 5 working days before the exam, so that you have enough time to solve any problems.
- 1. Check if your device and network connection meet the requirements for Proctorio
For the most recent device requirements click here.
Requirements for internet connection
- If you want to test your internet connection, use one of the many websites with which you can test your upload and download speed and ping time (e.g., www.speedtest.net/). Test it a number of times. If the lowest upload speed achieved is higher than 0.664 Mbps, then your internet connection is sufficiently suitable for the use of Proctorio. Higher is obviously better.
- In general, the average internet speed is far above 0.664 Mbps (for comparison, a Ziggo Internet Start subscription is up to 5 Mbps/s, an Internet Complete is up to 25 Mbps/s and Internet Max is as much as 40 Mbps/s).
- 2. Install the Proctorio Extension in your browser
For the best experience, Proctorio recommends the use of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge. A complete list of browsers can be found here. If you use a non-compatible browser, you will not be able to participate in the exam, and you will get an error message.
In order to work with Proctorio, you are required to install the Proctorio Extension. You only have to do this once. Click here to install the Proctorio Extension in Google Chrome or here to install the Proctorio Extension in Microsoft Edge.
Proctored exams do not require an access code. If you receive a message that the exam is restricted by an access code, do not ask your lecturer or proctor to type in or tell you the access code. Simply make sure you are using an up to date version of a compatible browser and the Proctorio extension. If you are still prompted for an access code, clear the cache of your browser. Clearing the cache will fix this issue.
- 3. Make sure any VPN is disconnected.
Proctorio does not work if you are using a VPN connection. Please turn off the VPN connection before starting a proctored exam.
- 4. Take the practice test in the examination software
It is mandatory that each student take the practice test before taking an actual test with proctoring. This is to ensure the real exam goes smoothly. If you have technical issues during the exam, the support staff will check whether you took the practice test and the board of examiners will review this when deciding on your options for exam repair.
The lecturer will inform you at least 5 working days before the exam when you have been enrolled in the practice exam. Follow the instructions from your teacher's announcement.
If you receive more invitations for the practice exam but you have already taken it for an earlier test, you do not need to take the practice exam each time. You can of course repeat it if you want to, for example if something about your system has changed.
Check always if you have the latest version of your browser and Proctorio extension because of updates.
- 5. Prepare your workplace
Start preparing well before an exam, so the following things are taken care of:
- Make sure the room is very well lit
- Empty your desk or table
- If the use of scrap paper is allowed, do not use a notepad or writing pad, but only loose sheets of paper.
- Make sure you have your University of Twente student card or other allowed ID at hand for identification.
- Make sure that you login 15 minutes before the start of the exam.
Detailed information about your room and desk requirements can be found here.
We have set up questions and answers about proctoring. The questions and answers will be updated regularly.
- What do I need to take an exam with proctoring?
In order to be able to take an exam with proctoring, you will need the following:
- A device (laptop or computer) that meets the requirements for Proctorio. These requirements can be found on the Proctorio website: www.proctorio.com/system-requirements;
- A properly working internal or external webcam;
- A properly working internal or external microphone;
- A stable internet connection;
- Compatible browser with the Proctorio Extension installed;
- Your University of Twente student card or ID
- What should I do if there's something on the list I don’t have (e.g. no webcam or the extension isn't working)?
In case you don't have a webcam or your laptop doesn't work properly, please buy a new one or try to borrow this from friends or family.
If you have issues with installing the Proctorio Extension, please contact the service desk ICT at least five working days before the exam.
- What happens if my internet connection is lost while I am taking an exam with proctoring?
If your internet connection is lost during the exam, you can continue as soon as the connection is up again. Your given answers have been automatically saved. Depending on the length of the failed internet connection, it is possible Proctorio asks you to log in again. If the internet connection is lost for more than two minutes, Proctorio will ask you to log in again and you will have to do the checks again. If you experience connection problems during the exam and you cannot solve the problems yourself, please contact Proctorio via the Live Chat www.proctorio.com/support and click the button: ‘Live Chat’.
Proctorio keeps an exact record of how long your connection has been down. Afterwards, the reviewer will always review recordings with lost connections extra carefully, and always notify the lecturer. If you have left an explanation in the comment field at the end of the exam, this will be taken into account. The reviewer and lecturer decide if the lost internet connection is reason for an official report to the board of examiners.
- What should I do if my internet speed is not sufficient?
If your internet speed is not sufficient, please contact your course lecturer.
- Can I use my smartphone as a webcam?
No, it is not allowed to use your mobile phone as a webcam for your exam with proctoring.
- May I use earbuds as an external microphone if I don’t have any other microphone?
Please make sure to have an external microphone in case the internal microphone of your laptop or PC isn't working. If this is not possible, you can also plug in earbuds in your laptop and leave them next to your laptop on your desk. Do not use them in your ears. You will also have to show them before the exam.
- Do I have to use Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge in order to take an exam with proctoring?
For the best experience Proctorio recommends the use of Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge. A complete list of compatible browsers can be found here.
- Is it possible to take an exam with proctoring on a MacBook?
Yes, Proctorio also works with a MacBook.
- May I use a second screen during an exam with proctoring?
No, it is not allowed to use a second screen. It is also not allowed to use your mobile phone as a webcam for your exam with proctoring.
- Can I take an exam with Proctorio anywhere in the world?
Proctorio should work in any country. To make sure Proctorio works properly, a laptop with stable internet connection, compatible browser and the Proctorio Extension are needed. The location where you take the exam might affect your connection to Proctorio. In order to make sure everything works properly, always take the practice test in advance.
- What are the requirements for the room in which I take the online exam?
The room in which you take a proctored exam has to meet several requirements:
- Make sure the room is very well lit: the lighting in the room should be bright enough to be considered "daylight" quality. Overhead lighting is preferred. The light source should not be behind you.
- Empty your desk or table: check before the exam which tools (e.g., scrap paper or books) are allowed and remove all other objects from your desk or table. No books or papers should be visible in your field of vision. Beyond your desk, no books or papers may be within reach, i.e. within a radius of 1 meter from your body.
- If there are images, posters, cards etc. near your workplace and/or in your field of vision that you do not want anyone to see or that you fear may be seen as fraudulent, remove them temporarily before the exam starts.
- To check whether your workplace is free of unauthorized tools, you need to make desk scan (video recording of your workplace) every time you take a proctored exam.
- If the use of scrap paper is allowed, clearly show each paper on both sides in front of the camera. Take the time for this (about 4 seconds per side) so that it can be properly checked that the papers have not been written on at the start of the exam. Do not use a notepad or writing pad, but only loose sheets of paper.
- Make sure you're alone in the room and that you're constantly in the picture. If necessary, you can put a "do not disturb" notice on the door.
- Make sure your room is quiet. Sounds such as music or television are not allowed. In addition, you are not allowed to talk during your exam.
- Do I have to film the whole room where I am taking the exam?
No, you only need to perform a desk scan for the exam. During the desk scan, you clearly record your workspace on video. Please find more information on how to make a desk scan on this page.
- Is it a problem if someone enters the room during the exam?
It is important that you are alone in the room during the exam. So, it is not allowed that someone enters the room. Make arrangements with your household members and/or put a note on the outside of your door to indicate that you cannot be disturbed during the exam.
We understand that sometimes situations may arise that are beyond your control. However, we do ask you to do everything you can to make sure you are not disturbed during your exam.
If someone does come in during the exam, Proctorio will see this as an indication of possible fraud. At the end of your online exam, you can indicate whether disturbances occurred that might be registered as an irregularity.
- My housemate(s) and I have to take the same online exam. Is it permitted to take the exam in the same room?
No, you need to be alone in the room while taking the exam. Other people are not allowed in the same room. It is allowed to take the exam in the same house, when the housemates are in separate rooms. When this is not possible in your own house, then go to the house of family/friends/neighbors/ acquaintances in order to have a room for yourself where you can take the exam quietly.
- What if I don't have access to a suitable place to take my exam?
If there is no suitable room at home for taking your exam, ask family/friends/neighbors/ acquaintances in order to have a room for yourself where you can take your exam quietly.
If you cannot find a suitable place elsewhere, please contact the relevant lecturer of the course at least five working days before the exam.
- How do I prepare my room for an exam with proctoring?
Read above under FAQ Room more information about preparing your room for an exam with proctoring.
- How do I prepare my desk for an exam with proctoring?
- Empty your desk or table: check before the exam which tools (e.g., scrap paper or books) are allowed and remove all other objects from your desk or table. No books or papers should be visible in your field of vision.
- Beyond your desk, no books or papers may be within reach, i.e. within a radius of 1 meter from your body. If there are images, posters, cards etc. near your workplace and/or in your field of vision that you do not want anyone to see or that you fear may be seen as fraudulent, remove them temporarily before the exam starts.
- To check whether your workplace is free of unauthorized tools, you need to make desk scan (video recording of your workplace) every time you take a proctored exam.
- If the use of scrap paper is allowed, do not use a notepad or writing pad. Prepare a few loose sheets of paper. During the desk scan you will be showing both sides of each sheet of paper to the camera.
- How do I know if the Proctorio Extension has been properly installed?
All students should take the practise test before their first exam. This is a short practice exam where you can make sure your software, devices and network will work during the real exam. Please find further details on this page.
When the Proctorio Extension has been properly installed, a grey Proctorio icon will be visible in the upper right corner of your browser.
- If I encounter any issues in my preparation for an exam with proctoring, who should I contact?
In the case you experience technical problems with Proctorio before the exam, go to www.proctorio.com/support and click the button ‘Live Chat’.
If this does not solve the problems, please contact LISA ServiceDesk, via firstname.lastname@example.org or (+31 53) 4895577, at least five working days before the exam.
If you encounter other issues, please contact the exam office. You can contact them via email@example.com.
If ITC Students encounter other issues, they can contact their course lecturers.
- How can I avoid that any pop-up notifications that I might receive during an exam with proctoring (emails, instant messages, calls) will be overlaid in the screen and recorded by proctorio?
To avoid any pop-up notifications you enable the “Focus assist” functionality on Windows, "Do not disturb" on Mac, and in Google Chrome your can also turn off notifications.
- Do I have to identify myself before the exam starts?
Yes, you have to identify yourself if you take an exam with proctoring. Proctorio will ask you to show identification to the camera before you start your exam. You can use your UT student card in order to identify yourself.
In case you do not have your student card ready, you can also identify yourself with your ID-card, passport or driver's license. In case you use one of these latter documents, please make sure to cover the citizen service and document number. If the photo that Proctorio takes is unclear, you can retake the photo.
- What should I do if I encounter (technical) issues during my exam with proctoring?Note:
It is the responsibility of the students to take the practice test and ensure they are ready for the real exam.
In the case you encounter technical problems with Proctorio during in the exam, please contact Proctorio via the Live Chat by clicking the ‘Chat’-icon in the ‘Proctorio Quiz Tools’.
If you encounter other issues during your exam, you can reach out to the exam office via firstname.lastname@example.org. This special hotline is available starting half an hour before the exam, and for an hour after the exam has ended.
For more general questions to the exam office, the email address email@example.com is used.
- What should I do if I have a question for the lecturer during an exam with proctoring?
This depends on the course, so the course lecturer will inform you regarding this matter before the examination takes place.
- Is it necessary to make a desk scan?
Before the exam starts, Proctorio will ask you to make a desk scan. It is not necessary to scan the entire room, only your viewing direction and the desk or table should be filmed. Before you start the scan, make sure all objects that are not allowed are removed from your desk. Beyond the desk, no books or papers may be within reach. If there are images, posters, cards etc. near the workplace and/or in your field of vision, please remove them temporarily before the exam starts.
In order to do the desk scan, you press the start button and you pick up your laptop or webcam and you film the area you will be looking at during the exam. You move the camera slowly from left to right and both high and low in order to film the entire area. If there are any objects like a lamp or a mouse mat, please lift them up. If scrapping paper is allowed, you have to show each piece of paper to the camera. Each side must be filmed for about 4 seconds. Once this is done, you place the laptop or webcam in the original position.
- What is allowed on my desk during an exam with proctoring?
Read above under FAQ Room more information about what is allowed on your desk during an exam with proctoring.
If the cover sheet allows the use of notes, these notes must be completely blank before the start of the examination. Students must hold up their notes in front of the webcam (both sides) before the examination starts as part of the desk scan.
Besides that, you can have a glass of water and/or snack on your desk, or a bottle without any text on it.
- Can I use the bathroom during an exam with proctoring?
No, it is not allowed to use the bathroom during an exam with proctoring. In case you have to leave your desk for any reason (including bathroom visits), you must mention this in the comments field at the end of the exam. Your recording will be reviewed more carefully and will always be reported to the lecturer for a second review.
- Is it a problem if I accidentally open another tab or program during the exam?
In most exams, it is not permitted to open other programs. In this case, you will only be able to navigate away for a few seconds before Proctorio returns you to the exam screen automatically. Proctorio will consider this to be suspicious behaviour. The reviewer will review this when looking back at the footage.
Some exams may allow internet access or access to specific URLs only. The settings for your exam will be published by the lecturer.
- Are there actions that will kick me out of the exam with proctoring?
If downloads are not allowed during the exam, clicking on a download link will immediately submit and shut down your exam. Make sure downloads are allowed before starting your exam if you will need them.
Opening the code inspector of the browser (via the context menu, pressing Ctrl-shift-I or F12) will immediately submit and close the exam and also uninstall proctorio. Do not try to look at the page's source code.
- How can I inform the lecturer about a certain activity during the exam?
Right after an exam with proctoring you will have the option to fill out an evaluation form. On this form you can indicate whether unwanted disturbances occurred during your exam that might be flagged by Proctorio as an irregularity. For example, if you have encountered technical issues or there were loud noises from outside. The lecturer will take this into account while analysing the recordings.
In Remindo, please make sure that you don’t navigate away from the exam after the recording has stopped. Instead, click the Continue button.Important!
After you have entered your comment, click the ‘Save comment’ button on the bottom left. If you forget this step, you will not be able to go back to the exam to add a comment.
- Will all the recordings of an exam with proctoring be reviewed?
The recordings are selected based on several factors, including a student’s remarks at the end of the exam and the findings in the Proctorio report. Proctorio cannot detect committed fraud and only when the reviewer has analysed the recordings and detected potential fraudulent behaviour, an official report will be drawn up for further investigation.
- Will I be informed when the recordings from my exam are being reviewed?
No, you will not be informed when the recordings of your exam are being reviewed. You will only be notified in case the lecturer decides to take action based on the reviewer’s report.
- Who is able to view the recordings from exams taken with proctoring?
Only authorized personnel have access to the recordings. There is a group of reviewers who are able to analyse the recordings. They will work together with the course lecturer who can also view the recordings. Besides that, the administrators for Proctorio and examination software also have access to the recordings. These administrators are also UT employees. In the case of an official report, the recordings may be sent to the examination board, in which case they will also have access.
As the recordings are encrypted directly after you close down Proctorio after your exam, Proctorio does not have access to any of the data. For more information check here the website of Proctorio and here the website of the University of Twente.
- How long does it take to grade and review an exam with proctoring?
For exams with proctoring, the regular period for reviewing will be maintained. More information can be found in the Education and Examination Regulations (OER) of your study. Find more information about examination boards here.
The UT attempts to maintain the regular reviewing period and delete the recordings 30 days after the exam has taken place.
- For how long will the UT hold on to the recordings?
The recordings will be deleted after 30 days. Only when there is no decision yet regarding potential fraud, the recordings may be saved longer.
- Does Proctorio comply with the GDPR?
Yes, the way University of Twente uses Proctorio complies with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR). University of Twente has also concluded a Data Processing Agreement with Proctorio. For more information check here the website of Proctorio and here the website of the University of Twente.
- What does Proctorio record during an exam with proctoring?
Proctorio records screen activity, webcam and/or audio during an exam with proctoring. More information on what proctorio records during an exam is available here on the proctorio FAQ web site.
- What data is stored by Proctorio?
Proctorio will record the audio, video and screen during your exam. Proctorio is not able to access this data.
- What happens to the stored data after the exam with proctoring?
The encrypted data is stored in an environment to which only authorized University of Twente employees have access. This data is automatically destroyed 30 days after the exam unless the board of examiners is working on an ongoing investigation.
- Does Proctorio also have access to other data on my laptop?
During the time that you share your screen with Proctorio, your entire screen is saved. This means that if you open other programs or tabs, these can also be seen. Make sure that you do not have anything open, except what is allowed during the exam. Proctorio only has access to the data provided by the browser and not to system data.
- Can my data be used for anything else besides proctoring?
No, your data can only be used for the detection of fraud. The data cannot be used for any other purposes than for which they were collected.
- Can I refuse to take an exam with proctoring due to privacy reasons?
If you have insurmountable (privacy) objections concerning an online proctored examination, you must contact your lecturer at least 14 days before the day of the examination. Objections will be assessed on a case-by-case basis whether it can or must be met and, if granted, possible solutions will be investigated.
- Is each exam reviewed?
No, when each exam is completed, Proctorio issues a risk score for each student based on parameters set by the UT. Based on these scores, a reviewer will check the recordings in order to detect potential fraudulent behaviour. Reviewers will also look at the comment's students have left and will choose another sample at random.
- When is the Proctorio extension active in my browser?
The Proctorio extension is only active when taking your exam. The Proctorio 'shield icon' changes from grey to green when it is active. The extension is not active before or after an exam. If you are worried about your privacy, uninstall or (temporarily) deactivate the Proctorio extension and install or activate it again as soon as you start a proctored exam.
- Can I uninstall the Proctorio extension?
Yes, but don't do this between the practice test and your exam. So, install the Proctorio extention before the practice exam and uninstall after the exam. When you reinstall Proctorio, always retake the practice test to check that everything works and your software is up to date.
- What is considered possible fraud in an exam with proctoring?
For possible fraud, the rules as described in the Education and Examination Regulations (OER) will be followed.Please note:
At the end of each exam, you will be able to indicate whether unwanted disturbances occurred during your exam that might be flagged by Proctorio as an irregularity. This explanation will be taken into consideration by the reviewer.
- What happens when a student is suspected of committing fraud?
When the reviewer analyses the recordings and detects a potential case of fraud, an official report will be drawn op. This will go to the course lecturer who may contact the student for more information. If necessary, the case will then be escalated to the examination board. They will discuss the case and analyse the material. The examination board will decide whether actual fraud was committed, in consultation with the course lecturer.
For more information about examination boards, click here.
- Does the Proctorio software decide whether fraud has been committed?
No, Proctorio does not decide whether or not fraud has been committed. Proctorio uses certain parameters to detect potential abnormalities. These parameters have been set by UT employees. Proctorio will never determine whether someone has committed fraud, it only gives an indication. The tool flags certain behaviour, after which a trained UT reviewer analyses the recordings and the student's behaviour. Based on that analysis, the reviewer decides if further investigation is needed.
- What happens if I need special facilities during an exam?
If you usually take an exam with extra time, there is no difference for proctored exams. You will receive the same amount of extra time compared to the normal situation.
For students who need another type of aid or tools due to a disability, the university will find a customized solution. Please contact the exam office to discuss this with.