The Master’s assignment is the final part of the Master's programme Nanotechnology. During the Master’s assignment, the student performs individual scientific research under supervision of a member from the chosen research group. The assignment is completed with a Master’s thesis and a defense (colloquium). The Master’s assignment takes 40 ECTS.
During the assignment, students have to independently perform a relatively complex and large research project, which meets certain scientific criteria. The learning objectives of the Master’s assignment are extensively defined in the OER of the Nanotechnology Master programme, where it is stated that the student must be able to:
- Perform Nanotechnology research at MSc level
- Formulate a research problem statement based on a global problem in Nanotechnology (problem analysis),
- Define the theoretical and experimental research plan and has the skills to execute the experimental work (planning and execution),
- Analyze and interpret research results and draw conclusions (result analysis),
- Have a scientific approach and possesses intellectual skills (handle complexity).
- Co-operate and communicate with specialists
- Can write an English report of the research
- Can give an oral presentation and discussion of the research.
- Integrate insights in the nanotechnology and the social context into his or her scientific work
- Work independently
- The assignment should be done with a high degree of independence, creativity, dedication, pace, commitment and in co-operation with the “problem owner” and with co-workers. The students are responsible for the progress, planning, and consultation with their supervisors.
The student has to show and develop a sufficient level of:
- Scientific work, including showing considerations of the “how and why” of the research,
- Creativity, including making links and using of know-how from former studies and literature,
- Working speed and methodology,
- Progress of personal research contribution,
- Oral and written expression skills to clearly report the executed work.
You have to show you are considering the “how and why” of the research, and be able to match aspects with your preceding education and information that is already known about the subject in literature. During the assignment you need to show more and more personal contribution, and a clear report on the research being done, both orally and written. At the end of the assignment, founded conclusions of the research results and useful recommendations for further research have to be formulated.