This interactive course will be offered partly Online and partly On-Campus.
The course starts with an On-Campus introductory session, followed by two online Nature Masterclasses that you follow in your own time. Once you have completed these online courses, you will receive certificates from Nature which will allow you to participate in the program of the final interactive On Campus day.
After this intensive workshop you will:
- Have gained an understanding of all steps concerning the academic publishing process
- Have a basic understanding of the text structure of the different parts of a research publication
- Have performed tasks such as reviewing parts of manuscripts for others, and editing them
- Have a start of your first thesis chapter that can be elaborated on in the future
- Have a manuscript that has improved with the help of and feedback from your peers and trainer
- Have obtained two Nature Masterclass certificates
Expect a supportive environment where you work together in small groups with your peers and a trainer. You will focus on task such as:
- Writing an introduction to your research topic
- Academic English issues
- Selecting a journal to publish in
- Cover letters
- Rebuttal letter
- Dealing with reviewers comments
- Language editing
What NOT to expect:
- Extensive instruction on basic English grammar and vocabulary
- Extensive in-depth treatment of discipline-specific matters of formatting and presentation
PhD-candidates from the UT
DURATION AND TIME INVESTMENT
Participants are required to attend both On Campus sessions and to individually take the following online interactive Nature Masterclasses: ‘Writing a Research Paper’ and ‘Publishing a Research Paper’. After these courses, there is an additional homework assignment.
Total time investment: approximately 56 hours (2 ECTS).