Room: Ravelijn 5442, Cubicus B223
Phone: +31 53 489 2890
I am especially interested in exploring and supporting the interplay between curriculum development and teacher professional development. My past work has emphasized the supportive role of technology in curriculum and teacher development; in more recent work, I have been looking at these issues in the fields of science education and early childhood literacy. I am also committed to exploring how educational research can serve the development of scientific understanding while also developing solutions to real problems in educational practice. Since educational design research lends itself to these dual aims, I work on developing and explicating ways to conduct design research. Much of my work is carried out in collaboration with organizations in developing countries, but I also enjoy research and consultancy in the Netherlands, the USA and Europe.
For current engagements, announcements and comprehensive listings of scientific work, please visit http://www.EducationalDesignResearch.org.
- Sociology, pedagogy and andragogy
- Technology for educational design: Complex systems
- Educational design methodology
- Educational design methods
- Introduction to the science of education and technology
- Computer supported curriculum development
- Curriculum, teacher and school development
- Curriculum, instruction and media applications design
- Design in educational settings
- Curriculum development, innovation and implementation
Inter-university research school ICO
- Educational design research
- Design Dimensions: Understanding and improving curriculum materials design practices for effective large scale implementation in science (NSF)
- ICT for Education in Developing Countries: A scoping study to inform research funding programming (IRDC)
- Open Discovery Space: A socially-powered and multilingual open learning infrastructure (EU)
- Scenarios for Effective Workplace Learning: HBO en MBO educators collaborate with internship mentors to improve vocational education (HPBO)
For a complete list, click here.
Books and special issues
- McKenney, S. & Reeves, T. (2012). Conducting Educational Design Research. London: Routledge.
- Voogt, J., McKenney, S., Fisser, P. & van Braak, J. (Eds.) (2012). Special Issue on Research-Practice Interactions in Education. Pedagogische Studiën, 89(6).
- McKenney, S., Boschman, F., Pieters, J. & Voogt, J. (2016). Collaborative design of technology-enhanced learning: What can we learn from teacher talk? Tech Trends.
- Boschman, F., McKenney, S., Pieters, J. & Voogt, J. (2016). Exploring the role of content knowledge in teacher design conversations. Journal of Computer Assisted Learning. DOI: 10.1111/jcal.12124.
- Tondeur, J., De Bruyne, E., Van Den Driessche, M., McKenney, S. & Zandvliet, D. (2015). The physical placement of classroom technology and its influences on educational practices Cambridge Journal of Education. DOI:10.1080/0305764X.2014.998624.
- McKenney, S., Kali, Y., Mauriskite, L. & Voogt, J. (2015). Teacher design knowledge for technology enhanced learning: An ecological framework for investigating assets and needs. Instructional Science, 43(2), 181-202.
- Cviko, A., McKenney, S. & Voogt, J. (2014). Teacher roles in designing technology-rich learning activities for early literacy: A cross-case analysis. Computers & Education, 72, 68-79.
- Raval, H., McKenney, S. & Pieters, J. (2014). Remedial teaching in Indian under-resourced communities: Professional development program of para-teachers. International Journal of Educational Development, 38, 87-93.
- McKenney, S. (2013). Designing and researching technology enhanced learning for the zone of proximal implementation. Research in Learning Technology Supplement 2013, 21: 17374.
- McKenney, S. & Reeves, T.C. (2013). Systematic review of design-based research progress: Is a little knowledge a dangerous thing? Educational Researcher, 42(2), 97-100.
- Voogt, J., McKenney, S., Fisser, P. & van Braak (2012). Naar nieuwe vormen voor de relatie tussen onderwijsonderzoek en onderwijspraktijk. Pedagogische Studiën, (89)6, 338-349.
- Ormel, B., Pareja Roblin, N., McKenney, S., Voogt, J., & Pieters, J. (2012). Research-practice interactions as reported in recent design research studies: Still promising, still hazy. Educational Technology Research & Development, 60(6) 967-986.
- Voogt, J., Westbroek, H., Handelzalts, A., Walraven, A., McKenney, S., Pieters, J. & de Vries, B. (2011). Teacher learning in collaborative curriculum design. Teaching and Teacher Education, 27(8), 1235-1244.
- Reeves, T. C., McKenney, S. & Herrington, J. (2011). Publishing and perishing: The critical importance of educational design research. Australian Journal of Educational Technology, 27(1), 55-65.