The Dutch 4TU.Research Centre High-Tech Materials (4TU.HTM) in collaboration with three Dutch materials research schools Zernike Institute for Advanced Materials, Groningen; Institute for Molecules and Materials, Nijmegen, and MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology, Enschede, is organizing a Smart Materials Summer School for PhD students. The workshop will be held on the island of Ameland between 29 May (arrival 28 May) and 2 June 2017.
Smart materials is a term usually employed to describe materials that can respond to various external stimuli, such as temperature, light or electric field in a predictable and reversible fashion. The purpose of this summer school is to provide an overview on different classes of stimuli-responsive materials, ranging from temperature-sensitive polymers, hydrogels to ceramics, laser-switchable magnets and biological matter. The workshop will consist of lectures and additional discussions. Active participation by the PhD students is expected, including the obligatory presentation of a poster about their own research. The lecturers are explicitly asked to give tutorial presentations with emphasis on a basic understanding of their subjects, which culminate with their views on the present day state-of-the-art and challenges of their specific topics.
The registration form can be found on the 4TU.HTM website
- Sissi de Beer (University of Twente)
- Markus Biesalski (TU Darmstad, Germany)
- Dick Broer (TU Eindhoven)
- Andre ten Elshof (University of Twente)
- Pim Groen (TU Delft)
- Andrei Kirilyuk (Radboud University)
- Katja Loos (University of Groningen)
- Katarina Novakovic (Newcastle University, UK)
- Karin Schroen (Wageningen University)
- Thomas Speck (Freiburg University, Germany)
- Marek Urban (Clemson University, US)
- Sybrand van der Zwaag (TU Delft)
Ameland is one of the beautiful Wadden islands in the north of the Netherlands. The hotel address is: Hotel-Resort Amelander Kaap, Oosterhiemweg 1, 9161 CZ Hollum, Ameland. The conference location can be reached by public transport. Plan your trip with public transport here.