FAQ Library

How do I search in the University Library’s collection? (instruction video)


How do I borrow a book? (instruction video)


When is the library open?

On the chart of opening hours you can find the opening hours for the next three months.

Can I download or print an ebook?

Publishers decide whether they place restrictions on ebooks, and if yes, which ones. Not all ebooks are downloadable. Additionally, some ebooks can only be read by one user at a time, and others have a 5% limit for printing or copying. All restrictions per publisher can be found on https://www.utwente.nl/lisa/en/diensten/catalogus/ebooks/

The book/article I’m looking for is not available in the library collection. Is there another way I can get it?

Through our InterLibrary Loan (ILL) service we can try to borrow a book or request a copy of an article for you somewhere else. You can find this service in FindUT under “library links > UT ILL request” or directly at https://www.utwente.nl/lisa/en/diensten/catalogus/ill/

What does “ILL service” mean?

ILL means InterLibrary Loan. This service means that at your request we will try to borrow a book or get a copy of an article not available in our own collection from another library. You can find more information and the form on https://www.utwente.nl/lisa/en/diensten/catalogus/ill/

How do I extend the due date of my borrowed library books?

Through FindUT under “library links > borrower information” or go to https://www.utwente.nl/lisa/en/diensten/catalogus/lenenboek/

I’m not on the UT campus but would like to use the digital collection

When you’re not on campus it’s important to always use the digital library to go to the databases. It will lead you through the proxy server, so that you’re recognized as being from the UT anyway. When you want to access articles directly you can use our off-campus button. More information on this can be found on https://www.utwente.nl/lisa/en/diensten/catalogus/proxy/

Which materials can I borrow at the library information desk?

Provided you hand in your library card for the duration of the use, there is a lot of material available for borrowing that you can use in the library spaces. Available items include headphones, laptop locks, laptop chargers and extension cords. You can also borrow whiteboard markers and wipers and remote controls for the LCD screens in the project rooms.

How do I request an ISBN?

When you independently publish a UT-related publication you need an ISBN (International Standard Book Number). An ISBN costs 43 euros and can be requested through the ISBN application form.

What are the library’s house rules?

Bags and coats are allowed in the library, as are bottles of water, but normal (open) cups are prohibited. It is not allowed to make phone calls inside the library as they cause disturbances to others.

Can I request (e-)books for purchase?

You can submit a request to purchase an (e-)book for the library collection to the information specialist of the topic concerned. If it concerns a room copy of an (e-)book and you’re an employee of one of the support departments you can contact the library’s Content Management department directly.

What do I have to do when I can’t access an e-book or e-journal that is part of the University Library’s collection?

Please check the maintenance and failure reports page and/or the latest news on the LISA website first to see if there are any known issues at the publisher of the e-book/e-journal. If not, please contact the library.

Where can I upload my thesis?

You can upload your bachelor or master thesis on the page http://essay.utwente.nl/upload.html

I have uploaded my thesis, but it’s not visible?

Your thesis will become visible after the library back office has checked all information after uploading.

How can I upload my confidential thesis?

After having uploaded the pdf you can restrict access to this file under “show options”, if necessary with a date for embargo. Did you write your thesis for the BMS faculty? If yes, you need permission from the examination board to upload a confidential thesis. More information on this is available on http://www.utwente.nl/bms/examboard/for-students/changing-confidentiality-thesis/

Where can I find UT theses?

All uploaded theses can be found on http://essay.utwente.nl

Where can I find information on submitting my dissertation?

Information on submitting your dissertation can be found on the following website: https://www.utwente.nl/lisa/diensten/catalogus/dissertations/

Where do I find the project room I booked in the library? (instruction video)


How do I reserve a project room in the library?

Just like all project rooms on the UT you can reserve the project rooms in the library through WebRoomBooking: http://wrb.utwente.nl

How do I know how big a project room is, and whether there is an LCD-screen?

All this information is provided in WebRoomBooking: http://wrb.utwente.nl

What should I do when I cannot access an article?

Even though the University of Twente has access to countless articles in many journals en databases, you will hit a paywall at some point, or find that an article isn’t accessible for other reasons. In that case, first check if you’re using the UT’s IP address, because only then, you will have access to our digital library. If you are using the right IP address, then try one of the following to get access after all:


Search in Google Scholar and place the title of the article between quotation marks (phrase search).


Search in Google, possibly with the addition filetype:pdf


Ask your information specialist if he/she can locate the article for you


Request a copy through the Interlibrary Loan system (ILL)

I have a suggestion for the collection of the University of Twente. What should I do?

If you feel that a certain book, journal or product should be part of our collection, then please contact your information specialist. Many publishers offer the option to “Recommend to a librarian” (example).

How can the information specialist help me?

The information specialist of your faculty can help you in many ways, whether you’re a freshman or an experienced professor. Please contact your information specialist for information about or help with finding sources, setting up searches, applying for funding, publishing, acquiring books, managing information and research data, copyright, and many more. LISA also offers several courses each year for University of Twente employees and students.

How do I keep the best overview during a literature search?

Documenting is an essential part of a literature search. For example, write down all your steps in Word or in a logbook, preferably with the reasons for doing so. This lets you get insight in your own thinking, it helps you evaluate your workflow, it enables you and another researchers in ten years’ time to understand what was done today, and it can help you when you want to ask a colleague or your information specialist for advice. Some databases temporarily keep track of your searches. It is also wise to organize your collected sources for a (literature) study. We recommend using reference managers; software or online tools that facilitate saving, sorting, reading, and processing information. Popular programs are EndNote and Mendeley. If you have any questions or would like advice, please contact your information specialist.

Can I get help with my data management or writing my data management plan (DMP)?

Would you like to learn how to handle your research data as well as possible, or get help with setting up your data management plan (DMP)? Then register for our course Research Data Management. This course will teach you everything you need to know about managing your research data. You will also get guidance in setting up your DMP.

Visit our Research Data Management pages for more information about managing your research data. For any additional questions, please contact your information specialist. He/she can also guide you in setting up your research group’s data policy.

I want to publish my article Open Access (OA). Can I get funding from the University of Twente?

If you choose to publish your article OA, then you might be eligible for a reimbursement of the article processing costs (APCs). Was your research funded by NWO? Then you are eligible for the NWO incentive fund. You can also request a reimbursement from the University of Twente’s Open Science Fund. Both funds are specifically aimed at publications in full-OA journals in which all articles are offered OA.

Thanks to national agreements with publishers Elsevier, Wiley, and Springer, corresponding authors who are affiliated with the University of Twente can now publish OA at no additional cost in a selection of these publishers’ hybrid journals in which some articles are offered OA. For more information, visit our pages on publishing OA at no additional cost in selected hybrid journals.

For more information, visit our Open-Access Publishing pages. For any additional questions, please contact your information specialist.

Am I allowed to use someone else’s article or image in my own work?

Copyright usually restricts you from using other people’s work in your own work, but there are exceptions. For example, you are allowed to cite other people’s work in your own work, and many online works have a Creative Commons licence nowadays; as long as you meet the licence terms, you may communicate copyrighted work and reuse it in your own work. Regarding education, teachers need to abide by specific rules concerning the use of other people’s work in readers and on Blackboard.

For more information about the use of other people’s work in your own work, visit our Copyright pages. For any additional questions, please contact your information specialist.

Am I allowed to use photographs from the Beeldbank (Image archive)?

Photos can be downloaded in small and normal size for own use only. All photos copyrighted by the University of Twente can be published freely if 'Beeldbank University of Twente' is cited as the source. For all other photos the photographer should be contacted unless otherwise stated.