Depositing your publication in the UT repository

The green road to OA means making your publication openly accessible through a repository. All Dutch universities have a repository: a digital archive that contains the scientific output of their university.

You can access both open and closed scientific information from the Dutch university repositories, KNAW, NWO, and a number of research institutes through NARCIS, the Dutch portal for research information. The University of Twente’s repository UTPublications contains journal articles, conference papers, books, book sections, and dissertations. Many of these publications are openly accessible.

No matter where your article was first published, always deposit you publication in UTPublications as well. This is free of charge. If you belong to the faculty EEMCS, deposit your publication in EPrints. This faculty repository is linked to UTPublications. If you belong to the faculty ITC, deposit your publication here. This faculty repository will be linked to UTPublications in the future.

Subscription-based journal often don’t allow OA to your publication in a repository immediately after publication. Some publishers demand an embargo period that may take as long as 48 months. During this period, open access to your publication is not allowed. Other publishers do allow OA to the author version of your article, without the layout of the publisher.

As a general rule, always deposit the author version of your publication in the university repository. The University Library will perform a copyright check. Do you want to know if you are allowed to provide OA to your article in a university repository, and under which terms? Then visit Sherpa/RoMEO’s overview of publisher copyright and self-archiving policies. RoMEO categorizes publishers by colours that indicate levels of author rights. JULIET, their sister site, provides summaries of research funders’ self-archiving conditions.



If you have any questions about depositing your scientific work in UTPublications, please contact your information specialist.